News
Court Throws Out Falana’s Fraud Case against Ekeh, Zinox Boss and Others

Federal High Court in the Bwari Judicial Division has thrown out a case of fraud filed against the Chairman of Zinox Technologies, Mr. Leo Stan Ekeh, his wife, Chioma Ekeh, and 11 others.

Femi Falana and Leo Stan Ekeh
This is the umpteenth time.
The latest is the dismissal of the suit by Justice Akpan Okon Ebong of the FCT High Court, who struck out the case filed by Mr. Femi Falana SAN, purporting to act on a fiat donated to him by Mr. Lateef Fagbemi SAN, attorney general and minister of Justice of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, against Mr. Leo Stan Ekeh, chairman of Zinox Technologies, and 12 others.
The other defendants are Mr. Chris Eze Ozims, Oyebode Folashade, Charles Adigwe, Obilo Onuoha, Agartha Ukoha, Anya O. Anya, Femi Dosumu, Nnenna Kalu, Admas Digital Technologies Limited, Technology Distributions Limited and Zinox Technologies Limited.
In the suit No. FCT/HC/CR/985/24 filed in November 2024, Falana, on behalf of his client, Benjamin Joseph, the CEO of Citadel Oracle Concept Limited, an Ibadan-based computer firm, filed charges against Ekeh, 9 other individuals and 3 companies before the Federal High Court in Abuja for allegedly diverting N162,247,513.80 being payment for laptop supply contract at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) Headquarters which Technology Distribution Ltd (now TD Africa), the biggest tech equipment distributor in sub-Saharan Africa supplied on behalf of Citadel in 2012.
However, in the certified true copy of the judgment dated March 20, 2025, Justice Ebong ruled as follows: “It is my conclusion based on the foregoing that this charge (No. FCT/HC/CR/985/2024, Federal Republic of Nigeria v Leo Stan Ekeh and 12 ORS) constitutes a gross abuse of court process and is liable to dismissal. I accordingly hereby dismiss it.”
Before arriving at his judgment, which has put the final nail in the coffin of a case that other courts had also dismissed in the past as dead on arrival, Justice Ebong considered the outcome of previous cases and petitions filed by Mr. Joseph, none of which was in his favour.
Justice Ebong said: “One intriguing aspect of this matter is that none of the law enforcement agencies involved in the investigation of the nominal complainant’s (Mr. Joseph) numerous petitions has found merit in any of his allegations against the defendants. When called upon before Senchi J. (Justice Danlami Z. Senchi) to prove his said allegations to the court, he failed to turn up in court. One then wonders on what premise he wants to maintain this campaign of persecution against the defendants.”
Previous judgments on the matter had established that rather than being the culprit, Ekeh and the 12 others were actually the victims of a failed money diversion scheme plotted by Mr. Joseph and Citadel.
When contacted, one of the defendants, Mr. Chris Eze Ozims, a lawyer, said: “This ruling truly reflects our consistent position on the allegations, and it is good that we have been vindicated, once more, by a competent high court.”
He asserted that the judgment of Justice Ebong was consistent with the position of the defendants and in tandem with the rulings of other judges who had previously adjudicated on the same matter.
Mr. Matthew Burkaa SAN, chief counsel to the defendants, described the judgment as a victory for integrity and the rule of law.
Court papers showed that Falana’s suit was based on the same claims that various courts had dismissed in the past as falsehood and baseless. The case arose from a contract between Citadel and Technology Distributions Limited over the supply of computers to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), a project fully funded by Technology Distributions and has no bearing whatsoever with Zinox and its promoter, Mr Leo Stan Ekeh.
It will be recalled that Mr. Joseph had lost the case and its adjunct suits at different courts in the past. In his petition to the police in 2013, police authorities discovered that Mr. Joseph provided false information to the police, prompting the Inspector General of Police to charge him for false information in charge no.CR/216/16.
In another case filed by the EFCC in his instance against his partner, Princess Kama, in charge no. FCT/HC/CR/244/2018, Honorable Justice Danlami Z. Senchi of the FCT High Court (as he then was) dismissed as false all the allegations made by Benjamin Joseph, and imposed the sum of N20 million as damages against him for false petitioning in relation to these same allegations.
Earlier court papers showed that Joseph, in his statement on oath in suit No:LD/4335/2014 in the High Court of Justice, Lagos State, dated June 28, 2019, averred that his company, Citadel, did not execute any contract with FIRS and that he was not aware that a contract had been awarded to Citadel.
In his deposition under oath, Joseph claimed that Citadel “did not at any time execute any contract for the FIRS and neither did the 2nd defendant (Princess O. Kama) who is its agent in respect of the contract it bid for with the FIRS deliver/release any documents to the Claimant (Citadel) indicating that the contract it bid for, or any other contract was awarded to it by the FIRS or any other body.”
However, a letter from the FIRS addressed to the chamber of Afe Babalola & Co dated February 11, 2014 (FIRS/PD/GDS/2559) and signed by one Idrissa Kogo, Head Legal Department, stated: “Contrary to your client’s claim that they knew nothing about the execution of the contract awarded to them and that they did not receive any payment for the execution of the contract, our record reveals otherwise.
“Your client instructed FIRS through a letter dated December 13, 2012, to deal with Princess O. Kama (Your client’s agent) in relation to the contract. Through three separate letters dated December 20, 2012, your client instructed FIRS to pay to the client’s account with Access Bank plc. Please note that FIRS acted in compliance with your client’s instruction and with due diligence,” the FIRS letter stated.
The FIRS letter was a response to inquiry by Afe Babalola Chamber, lawyers to Citadel Oracle Concept Ltd and its MD, Mr. Benjamin Joseph, at that time.
The current charges filed by Falana on the basis of a fiat from the Attorney General is the third in a row as Mr Joseph had earlier filed charge no.CR/469/2022, which was struck out by Honorable Justice C. O. Oba of the FCT High Court, by an order dated November 8, 2022.
Determined to push through with his case, Mr Joseph filed the same charges before Honorable Justice A. S. Adepoju of the FCT High Court, and the charges were, once again, struck out by the Honorable Court on March 19, 2024, with Honorable Justice Adepoju holding that: “This matter was brought in dead, extinct and should be confined into the dustbin of history…I hold that the instant suit is an abuse of the process of court, and it is hereby struck out accordingly.”
News
AI-Driven Memory Chip Fuels Global Phone Price Surge

Global technology markets are entering a new phase of strain as surging memory chip prices intensify the ongoing semiconductor shortage. For Nigeria, the ripple effects could translate into a 15 – 20 per cent increase in phone price levels if supply pressures persist into the next quarter.

While attention has largely focused on advanced AI processors, the sharpest escalation is occurring in memory chips, specifically DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory) and NAND (Flash Memory), which are essential to smartphones, PCs, and vehicles.
According to Bloomberg data, spot prices for DRAM have surged more than 600 percent in recent months. NAND prices have also climbed as artificial intelligence infrastructure expands global storage demand.
This shift reflects a structural realignment rather than a short-term disruption.
Massive AI infrastructure investments led by hyperscalers such as Amazon have redirected fabrication capacity toward high-bandwidth memory (HBM), a critical component for AI accelerators. This shift has tightened supply for conventional memory used in consumer devices.
Market analysts now describe the situation as a memory “supercycle,” breaking the industry’s traditional boom-and-bust pattern. Historically, memory cycles lasted three to four years. According to Jian Shi Cortesi of GAM Investment Management, the current cycle has already exceeded previous ones “both in length and magnitude,” with little evidence of demand momentum softening.
Financial markets reflect the divide. A Bloomberg gauge of global consumer electronics makers has fallen roughly 10 per cent since late September, while a basket of memory manufacturers has surged about 160 per cent over the same period. Shares of SK Hynix, a key high-bandwidth memory supplier to Nvidia, have climbed more than 150 per cent.
By contrast, downstream manufacturers reliant on affordable memory supplies are under pressure. Nintendo has warned of margin compression linked to shortages. Qualcomm shares declined after signaling memory constraints that could limit phone production. PC makers such as Lenovo and Dell have also retreated from recent peaks amid concerns that rising chip costs could dampen demand.
The divergence underscores a widening gap between component producers and device assemblers.
Memory is central to modern smartphone performance. Higher DRAM and NAND capacities power AI-enabled features, high-resolution imaging, and multitasking capabilities. Rising memory costs, therefore, feed directly into the bill of materials.
Even in a moderate demand environment, a constrained memory supply can limit production volumes. Qualcomm’s recent indication that memory shortages may restrict handset output highlights the risk of scarcity extending beyond price increases into availability challenges.
Compounding the issue, a foundry such as TSMC is prioritising higher-margin AI-related contracts at advanced nodes. Combined with the reallocation of capacity toward high-bandwidth memory, this limits flexibility in supplying traditional mobile processors and storage components.
For Nigeria, the likely outcome is not immediate widespread stockouts, but gradual upward revisions in retail pricing.
Nigeria’s electronics market remains heavily import-dependent, with minimal semiconductor manufacturing capacity. Retailers are therefore exposed to global cost shifts and supply volatility.
Distributors in major commercial hubs such as Lagos’ Computer Village are closely monitoring global trends. Some are securing inventory ahead of anticipated adjustments, while others are maintaining leaner procurement cycles to manage uncertainty.
Duration risk remains a key concern. Fidelity International’s Vivian Pai recently observed that while markets may be pricing in normalization within one to two quarters, industry tightness could persist through the rest of the year. If that proves accurate, manufacturers will have limited room to absorb higher component costs without passing them through to consumers.
Mid-tier smartphones, especially those balancing affordability with competitive performance, are likely to face the greatest pressure. Manufacturers may respond by offering lower base storage variants, delaying feature upgrades, or raising prices incrementally across product lines.
Parallel imports could increase if global scarcity intensifies, potentially raising concerns about warranty coverage and after-sales support.
Globally, firms are attempting to mitigate exposure by locking in long-term supply contracts, raising product prices, or redesigning devices to use less memory. However, semiconductor fabrication is capital-intensive and slow to scale. New fabrication plants require years to build, and expanding high-bandwidth memory output involves complex processes that cannot be rapidly accelerated.
For Nigeria, the episode underscores the importance of strengthening digital resilience. While domestic chip fabrication remains unlikely in the near term, expanding local device assembly, promoting repair ecosystems, and supporting component recycling could help cushion future supply shocks.
If projections hold, Nigerian buyers may begin seeing incremental price adjustments within weeks. Mid-range Android devices are likely to record the most noticeable changes, while premium models, already positioned at higher price points, may see more measured increases.
As it stands, AI’s explosive growth is reshaping semiconductor allocation patterns, and memory, once viewed as a product with prices that rise and fall in cycles, is behaving like a sustained constraint.
The widening gap between stock market winners and losers reflects the magnitude of this transition. As AI infrastructure spending accelerates globally, consumer electronics markets, including Nigeria’s, must adjust to a new cost environment.
Whether the squeeze proves temporary or evolves into a prolonged recalibration will depend on how quickly semiconductor capacity expands. For now, the trajectory suggests continued upward pressure on global electronics pricing, and Nigeria’s phone price expectations may have to adjust accordingly.
News
INTERPOL Arrests 651, Recovers $4.3m from Cybercrime in Nigeria, Others

African law enforcement agencies arrested 651 suspects and recovered over $4.3 million in a joint operation targeting investment fraud, mobile money scams, and fake loan applications.

As INTERPOL revealed on Wednesday, Operation Red Card 2.0 identified 1,247 victims between December 8 and January 30 while targeting cybercrime operations linked to over $45 million in financial losses.
Authorities across 16 countries also seized 2,341 devices and took down 1,442 malicious websites, domains, and servers during this joint action coordinated by the African Joint Operation against Cybercrime (AFJOC).
In Nigeria, police officers dismantled an investment fraud ring that was recruiting young people to run phishing, identity theft, and fake investment schemes, taking down over 1,000 fraudulent social media accounts in the process.
They also arrested six members of a Nigerian cybercrime gang that used stolen employee credentials to breach a major telecom provider.
Kenyan investigators also apprehended 27 suspects while investigating fraud networks that used social media and messaging platforms to lure victims into fake investment schemes.
In Côte d’Ivoire, 58 suspects were arrested as part of a crackdown on predatory mobile loan apps that targeted victims with hidden fees and abusive debt-collection practices.
“These organized cybercriminal syndicates inflict devastating financial and psychological harm on individuals, businesses and entire communities with their false promises,” said Neal Jetton, the head of INTERPOL’s Cybercrime Directorate.
“Operation Red Card highlights the importance of collaboration when combatting transnational cybercrime. I encourage all victims of cybercrime to reach out to law enforcement for help.”
One year ago, African law enforcement arrested another 306 suspects in the first stage of this INTERPOL-led operation targeting cross-border cybercriminal networks.
This is the latest INTERPOL operation targeting African cybercrime, with thousands of arrests and multiple multimillion-dollar operations disrupted or dismantled in recent years, following Operation Serengeti and Operation Africa Cyber Surge.
News
Lagos Begins 5 Percent Withholding Tax on Gaming Winnings

Lagos State Government has commenced the implementation of a 5% Withholding Tax (WHT) deduction on gaming winnings, in line with applicable Nigerian tax laws and regulatory directives governing the gaming industry.

The deduction applies to net winnings from licensed gaming platforms operating within Lagos State and is deducted at the point of payout. All licensed gaming operators in Lagos have been directed to comply immediately with the framework.
Under the new arrangement, 5% of qualifying gaming winnings will be automatically deducted before payment is made to players and remitted to the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS) as the statutory tax authority.
According to the State Government, the measure forms part of Lagos’ broader drive to strengthen tax compliance, transparency, and accountability in the rapidly expanding gaming sector.
Players are required to provide their National Identification Number (NIN) in compliance with KYC (know your customer) rules, while all deductions and remittances will be handled by licensed operators in line with regulatory requirements.
Players will receive their winnings net of the statutory deduction, with proper records maintained for transparency. The WHT deducted also serves as a tax credit to the player.
All licensed gaming operators in Lagos State have now been formally directed to commence the deductions with immediate effect.
E-Financial2 days agoEcobank Nigeria Fully Repays $300m Eurobond Notes
General News1 day agoPalmPay Unveils First Batch of Winners in #LoveWithPalmPay Campaign
E-Financial2 days agoZenith Bank Warns Public Over Fake Jim Ovia Investment Videos
E-Business2 days agoChams Carves Out Subsidiary to Support Africa’s Digital Transformation
E-Financial2 days agoBoI Secures CBN’s Approval for Non-interest Banking Operation
E-Financial1 day agoFirstCap MD says Payment Security Remains Biggest Barrier to Bankable Gas and Power Projects
E-Business2 days agoNigeria, South Africa Drive Stablecoin Spending in Africa
Telecom2 days agoAfrica’s Active Data Centres’ Capacity on Back Foot, Despite Investment Push


















