Connect with us

News

MTN Donates Security Vehicles to Abia State

Published

on

Michael Ikpoki, chief executive officer, MTN Nigeria
Kindly share this post

The efforts of the Abia State Government in combating crime, has received a major boost when the management of a leading telecommunication firm, MTN Nigeria donated five Hilux vans to the state.

Handing over the vehicles fully equipped with communication gadgets to Gov. Theodore Orji, Denis Okoro, director of MTN Foundation, said the gesture was in line with the firm’s desire to ensure a secure society as part of its corporate responsibility.

He said the action was spurred by government’s commendable efforts and noticeable investment in security, saying Orji had made a remarkable commitment in the security sector.

The MTN boss added that a total of 60 similar security vans had been procured by the firm for distribution to 12 states nationwide.

According to him, MTN as a socially responsible firm has invested over N9bn in over 300 projects across the country, with Abia benefitting from nine of the multimillion projects.

He said over 2000 cataract patients received eye surgery during the free eye care mission conducted by MTN recently in the state .

Responding, Orji who was full of praise, said the gesture would significantly boost the efforts of his government to improve security in the state, adding that security and health will continue to top the priority list of his administration.

He described MTN as a socially responsibly corporate organisation, saying the firm’s free eye service earlier in the state motivated him to establish an eye centre at the state’s specialist hospital.

“Many people are seeing well today because of MTN,” Orji said, while appealing to other corporate bodies to emulate the firm.

Orji also promised a continued conducive business environment for all business interests in the state.


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

News

Digital PayExpo 2026 to Convene Africa’s Most Influential Payments Leaders in Lagos

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Africa’s digital payments ecosystem will take center stage as Digital PayExpo 2026 returns to Lagos on June 17–18, 2026, at the Landmark Centre, Victoria Island, under the theme: “Seamless Digital: Fostering Pan-African Market Expansion in the AI Era.”

At a time when artificial intelligence, cross-border commerce, and financial inclusion are redefining Africa’s economic future, the event is set to convene over 3,000 senior executives, policymakers, fintech innovators, and global technology providers.

The speaker lineup reflects a powerful blend of regulatory leadership, private sector innovation, and pan-African expertise.

Among the headline speakers:

  • Dr. Rakiya Yusuf, Director, Payment Systems Supervision, Central Bank of Nigeria — a key architect in Nigeria’s payment system reforms.
  • Dr. Folasade Femi-Lawal, Country Manager & Area Business Head (West Africa), Mastercard — a leading voice in digital payments expansion across Africa.
  • Clara B. Arthur, Managing Director, GhIPSS (Ghana) — driving Ghana’s interoperable payment ecosystem.
  • Wacera Maina, Chief Operations Officer, Kenwitch Kenya — an expert in East Africa’s payment infrastructure evolution.
  • Akeem Lawal, CEO, Interswitch Group — a pioneer in Africa’s fintech growth story.
  • Ngover Ihyembe-Nwankwo, Executive Director, NIBSS — shaping Nigeria’s core payment infrastructure.

The conference will explore:

  • AI-powered financial services
  • Cross-border payment systems and interoperability
  • Cybersecurity and trust frameworks
  • SME financing and financial inclusion
  • Infrastructure for a unified African digital economy

With participation from banks, fintechs, telcos, regulators, and global payment networks, Digital PayExpo 2026 is positioned as a critical marketplace for ideas, partnerships, and investment flows. Register: https://digitalpayexpo.com/register
Sponsorship Enquiries: [email protected]


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

News

Only 1 in 3 Families Fully Secure their Devices, Kaspersky Study Reveals

Published

on

Kindly share this post

On International Day of Families observed on May 15th, a global Kaspersky study* reveals that while 47% of respondents talk about online safety, only 33% secure all their family devices – highlighting the need for proactivity from Family Digital Managers.

As online threats develop and every generation joins the online space, cybersecurity habits have become an essential part of life for every family. Typically, in every family, one or two people become so-called Family Digital Managers, responsible for managing subscriptions, setting up new devices, or thinking about cyber protection. Kaspersky has conducted a survey to find out what measures modern families take to stay safe online.

According to Kaspersky’s data, a significant portion of respondents adopt an educational approach to cybersecurity within their families:

47% regularly coach elderly relatives and children on safe online practices

45% advise family members to adopt password manager solutions

42% encourage the use of multi-factor authentication (MFA)

An equal 42% actively review and adjust privacy settings on both family devices and critical online accounts

Although a growing awareness of the importance of proactive, family-focused digital protection can be observed, when it comes to the implementation of security solutions, the trend is slightly different. 10% of respondents take no measures at all to protect their loved ones online, rising to 21% among those aged 55+.

As for the parental control apps, 67% of families with children under 18 years use this tool to monitor and secure their kids’ online activity. Parental control, such as the Kaspersky Safe Kids solution, can help restrict children’s access to inappropriate content and also gently manage their online habits by limiting access to certain websites and apps, controlling their screen time, and even enhancing their physical security by tracking their geolocation.

The most worrying number is that only 33% of respondents – just 1 in 3 – install security solutions on all family members’ devices. Kaspersky experts highlight that the current threat landscape shows that mobile devices and tablets as well as PCs all require comprehensive cyber protection, as they are often targeted by cybercriminals.

According to the survey, only 30% of respondents set up new devices for their families. Setting up a new device is not often regarded as a step that contributes to cyber safety; however, some actions performed before the device is put into use can significantly enhance its security.

For instance, experts recommend installing a security solution first, to scan the device for hidden threats and make web browsing safe from the first queries. What’s more, reviewing privacy settings on a new device allows you not to share data that you would like to keep private with some applications and services.

The research also shows that the older generation (55+) is generally less included in family security habits. Around 1 in 5 (21%) of this age group globally do not take any measures to protect their family online and only a quarter (24%) install security solutions for family members. The most popular security measure among them turns out to be a password manager, as 40% of this age group recommend their family members to use it.

“We are now using a lot of gadgets and digital services, and with every new device and every additional hour spent online, the potential entry points for cybercriminals continue to grow, exposing us to a wider range of cyber threats. At the same time, not every generation adapts to these rapid changes with the same ease.

“That’s why having someone in the family take on the role of a ‘Family Digital Manager’ can be so valuable, especially when it comes to protecting kids and elder people from digital cyberthreats, give advice and help with the use of trusted security solutions,” comments Brandon Muller, Technical Expert at Kaspersky.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

News

The Nigeria Prize for Science & Innovation Records New Height as 2026 Edition Attracts 237 Entries

Published

on

(2nd Left) GM, External Relations and Sustainable Development, NLNG, Sophia Horsfall, presenting entries for The Nigeria Prize for Science and Innovation to the Chairman of the Prize’s Advisory Board, Prof. Barth Nnaji, at a press conference held in Lagos on Thursday.
Kindly share this post

For the first time since it was established in 2004, the 2026 edition of The Nigeria Prize for Science and Innovation has recorded an historic milestone, attracting a record-breaking 237 entries.

The submissions were formally handed over to the Prize’s Advisory Board at a press conference in Lagos on Thursday, marking the start of the adjudication process.

The handover marks the beginning of the search for Nigeria’s most innovative scientific mind, under the theme “Innovations in ICT, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Digital Technologies for Development.” The theme was a deliberate retention from the 2025 edition, which concluded without a winner after no entry met the required standard for selection.

Speaking at the press conference, Sophia Horsfall, NLNG’s General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, said the continued focus on digital technologies reflects both global trends and Nigeria’s development priorities. She noted that the Prize remains a platform for identifying solutions with real-world relevance.

“In this fourth revolution, digital infrastructure is as foundational to our survival as electricity or water. For Nigeria, our economic sustainability depends on our ability to move beyond promising research and into undeniable innovation that delivers,” she said.

She added that global recognition for Nigerian innovation must be earned through stringent standards. “We believe that if a Nigerian discovery is to command global respect, it must withstand the highest levels of scrutiny. It is this conviction that guided the difficult decision seven months ago”.

While acknowledging the level of interest the theme continues to attract, Horsfall maintained that expectations remain uncompromising, noting that only solutions demonstrating real impact and scalability will be considered. She added that the decision not to award a winner in 2025 reflects this commitment and sets the benchmark for the current adjudication process.

Receiving the entries, Chairman of the Advisory Board, Barth Nnaji, described the handover as a decisive stage in the Prize’s selection process, emphasising that its credibility is anchored on strict standards of excellence. He reaffirmed that the Prize remains focused on identifying innovations that translate scientific insight into tangible socio-economic outcomes.

“Our refusal to award the prize in 2025 was not a dismissal of the hard work of Nigerian innovators; rather, it reinforces that The Nigeria Prize for Science and Innovation holds a gold standard of excellence,” he stated.

He further clarified that the outcome of the 2025 edition, in which no winner was declared, should be viewed within the context of the Prize’s rigorous evaluation framework, which demands novelty, depth, relevance, and demonstrable impact. He emphasized that all entries will continue to be subjected to the same high level of intellectual and technical scrutiny.

Professor Nnaji added that the Prize seeks solutions that directly address Nigeria’s real-world challenges. “Our broader objective is to identify work that brings tangible impact to the challenges Nigeria faces, whether through digital health technologies that serve rural populations or the use of AI in preserving our cultural heritage and languages.”

Other members of the Board are Chief Dr. Nike Akande, a two-time former Minister of Industry, and Professor Baba Yusuf Abubakar, a professor of quantitative genetics and animal breeding.

The Nigeria Prize for Science and Innovation, now in its 22nd year, is valued at $100,000 and remains arguably Africa’s most prestigious science award. The winning entry for the 2026 edition will be unveiled at a world press conference scheduled for September.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending