Connect with us

Telecom

MTN, Musician Fight over Alleged Copyright Violation

Published

on

MTN logop.jpg
Kindly share this post

The Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC), has launched a full-scale investigation into allegations of infringement by MTN Nigeria of the copyright of Dovie Okson Omenuwoma, an Abuja-based musician and entertainer.

Omenuwoma better known as Baba 2010 alleges that MTN Nigeria infringed on his copyright by turning four musical works belonging to him into MTN caller tunes and ringtones, and selling them, without his permission.

Based on the allegation, NCC has invited Michael Ikpoki, MTN’s MD/CEO to appear at the commission’s head office, Federal Secretariat, Abuja, on Monday, October 28.

In a letter signed by Barr A. T. Kohol, NCC’s director of Prosecution, requested Ikpoki, to appear with call logs and any other documents that will help in the investigation of the alleged copyright violation.

The Abuja-based Isoko musician had earlier through his lawyers Felix, Igelige, & Associates threatened to drag MTN Nigeria to court for infringing on his copyright.

A statement issued on behalf of the Felix, Igelige, & Associate in Abuja, signed by Dr Ogaga Ifowodo, alleges that MTN Nigeria infringed on their client Dovie Omenuwoma’s copyright by turning four musical works belonging to him into MTN caller tunes and ringtones, and selling them, without his permission.

According to the statement, N500 Million is being demanded from MTN as compensation for using Mr Dovie Omenuwoma’s music work over a period of three years and selling same as caller tunes without his permission.

The statement read in part that:

“Mr Dovie Okson Omenuwoma is our client, he is the author and copyright owner of four musical works ‘Gentleman’, ‘Omotena’, ‘Twisted’ and ‘Unity Song’ by MTN Nigeria with code 001087 (Gentleman), 001088 (Omotena), 001089 (Twisted) and 001090 (Unity Song). These songs are being used as caller tunes/ringtones, stored electronically, reproduced and offered to MTN’s subscribers upon the payment N50 each, for a period of one month, and subject to another N50 renewal charge. The four musical works are contained in our client’s compact disc which he created, produced, and released in 2005.”

“As the copyright owner, Baba 2010 has a number of exclusive rights defined by the Copyright Act, Cap 28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004. These include the right to reproduce the works, and to publish and communicate them to the public, (including by way of sale and broadcast, both conventionally and online or via the internet). It is an infringement of copyright to do any of these or other protected acts, in relation to the whole or substantial part of a copyright work, or to authorise anyone to do such an act or acts on your behalf, without prior permission or licence of the copyright owner.”

Dr Ifowodo said by not obtaining permission from Baba 2010 before engaging in the act of selling his works, MTN’s conduct constitutes a flagrant and deliberate infringement of copyright which is tantamount to stealing and deprivation of Baba 2010’s gains of his labor.

Meanwhile the lead Counsel to Mr Dovie Okson Omenuwoma, Rockson Igelige, who represented the Felix, Igelige, & Associates at the Nigerian Copyright Commission, said his team is determined to prove beyond doubt, that MTN Nigeria committed criminal act and therefore solicited for the Copyright Commission’s support in prosecuting the MTN managing director in line with section 22 of the copyright law.

The Westminster-trained entertainment lawyer and rights activist made this appeal when he presented four witnesses at the head office of the Nigerian Copyright Commission in Abuja. The four witnesses who testified against MTN include Mr. Dovie Okson Omenuwoma (Baba 2010), Miss Bolah Igeh, Miss Patience Chinonso Owunna, and Master Zino Mena. Others who witnessed the presentation include the President of Abuja Resident Musicians Association Mr King Faj and the Director of Music Mr George Humphrey.  The Nigerian Copyright Commission team was led by Mr Amodu and Barr AT. Koho, the Director of Prosecution.

The Copyright Commission team was overwhelmed by the evidence presented by the lead counsel and as well as revelation by the witnesses.

However, MTN Nigeria has appealed for more time to allow them investigate and revert on the five hundred million naira claim. The MTN Nigeria legal advisors Obiageli Maduka and Olasubomi Osoba made the request.


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Airtel Africa Plc has announced a strategic initiative in partnership with Barclays Capital Securities Limited to execute on-market share purchases totaling up to $110 million.

Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

This initiative will be divided into non-discretionary and discretionary segments, marking a proactive step in optimizing the company’s capital structure and enhancing shareholder value.

In a statement released on the Nigerian Exchange and signed by Simon O’Hara, group company secretary, Airtel Africa described this share buyback program as a key component of its broader strategy to return cash to shareholders.

It noted that the program aims to repurchase up to one percent of the company’s issued share capital as of the date of this announcement.

“This decision by the Board reflects the organization’s strong financial position and its commitment to maintaining flexibility while continuing to invest for growth across its markets.

“The initial phase of the program will see Airtel Africa collaborating with Barclays Capital Securities to facilitate the purchase of its ordinary shares,” the statement noted.

According to Airtel Africa, the agreement features two key components operating concurrently: a non-discretionary segment allowing Barclays to purchase up to $60 million of ordinary shares independently of the company, and a discretionary segment where Airtel Africa can guide Barclays in purchasing an additional $50 million, adhering to the regulations set forth by the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) No 596/2014.

“The program is set to commence today and is expected to conclude by November 27, 2026, unless terminated earlier under the agreement’s terms. Airtel Africa has signaled that as the initiative progresses, further tranches may be announced to achieve its objective of repurchasing up to one percent of its issued share capital.

“The primary aim of this buyback program is to streamline the company’s capital. Accordingly, all shares purchased will be cancelled, contributing to a more efficient capital structure. Any transactions will be performed in alignment with pre-defined parameters outlined in the agreement with Barclays and comply with the authority granted by shareholders for share repurchases.”

At the annual general meeting on July 9, 2025, shareholders authorized the company to buy back a maximum of 366.073 million ordinary shares.

Following the previous buyback program, the remaining authority now stands at a maximum of 357.042 million ordinary shares, demonstrating ongoing support from shareholders for these initiatives.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria’s telecom regulator has released draft rules for mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) as authorities seek to organize a market that is still at an early stage.

NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

The NCC published the proposed “Business Rules for Mobile Virtual Network Operations in Nigeria” and opened a consultation process for industry stakeholders.

Comments can be submitted until June 29, while a public consultation is scheduled for July 9.

According to the NCC, the proposed rules define the obligations and responsibilities of both MVNOs and host network operators (HNOs).

The framework also sets conditions for licensing, compliance, interconnection, numbering resources, SIM and eSIM management, and network hosting agreements.

Regulators also seek to guarantee fair access to telecom infrastructure and reduce delays tied to the integration of MVNOs into existing mobile networks.

The text further includes provisions related to service quality, customer protection, network reliability, and data security.

Violations could lead to administrative sanctions or corrective measures under existing telecom laws.

Nigeria officially opened the MVNO market in 2023. That year, the NCC awarded licenses to 25 operators for a combined 5.9 billion naira, or about $4.3 million. Since then, around 40 licenses have been issued, with operators such as Vitel and Visafone already launching services.

Authorities see MVNOs as a way to improve competition in the telecom sector while helping extend services to underserved and unserved populations.

As of March 2026, Nigeria counted 185.7 million mobile subscribers and 153.8 million internet subscribers, according to NCC data.

Despite the size of the market, digital access remains uneven across the country.

Government estimates show that nearly 20 million Nigerians still remain outside the digital ecosystem.

The GSMA estimated that about 120 million Nigerians did not use mobile internet in 2023.

High service costs and inconsistent service quality also remain major concerns in the telecom sector.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

Published

on

Kindly share this post

An Australian federal court has upheld a fine against social media platform X over failures to comply with child internet safety regulations, bringing to an end a three-year legal dispute between the company and Australian authorities.

Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

The case stemmed from a demand issued in February 2023 by Australia’s online safety regulator, the eSafety Commission, requesting detailed information on how the platform, then known as Twitter, was combating the spread of child sexual abuse material online.

Following the platform’s transition to X under billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, regulators accused the company of submitting incomplete responses to repeated requests for information.

A federal court had earlier ruled in October 2024 that X was legally obligated to comply fully with the notice issued by the regulator.

On Thursday, the court ordered the company to pay a fine of 650,000 Australian dollars (approximately 464,900 U.S. dollars).

Federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said the penalty was necessary to ensure compliance by large technology firms.

“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation, so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” he said.

Australia has emerged as one of the leading countries advocating stricter regulation of major technology platforms.

The country recently introduced world-first legislation aimed at banning children under the age of 16 from accessing certain social media platforms.

Countries including France, United Kingdom and Canada are reportedly considering similar measures following consultations with Australian authorities.

Reacting to the judgment, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said transparency remained essential in holding technology companies accountable.

“Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” she said.

“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending