E-Financial
Forex Confusion Persists, Naira Hits N371 to Dollar

A two-week silence from Nigeria’s government and Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on further details or even a timescale for naira liberalisation has left international investors and domestic firms anxious about whether a gameplan has been even formulated or agreed.
A government investment roadshow to London this week was professional and upbeat, according to money managers who attended. But they were alarmed at the lack of any steer on what happens next in Nigeria’s fractured foreign exchange market.
Africa’s biggest economy is facing its biggest crisis for decades as the halving in oil prices since 2014, followed by the 2015 introduction of a currency peg that put investors to flight, has produced a black market for the naira currency and brought economic growth to a standstill.
With the naira’s black market value plunging past 370 per dollar – versus the official rate of 197 – and a major chunk of transactions now happening at the unofficial rate, inflation is at 6-year highs and the economy contracted 0.4 percent in the first quarter – the first such drop since the 1990s.
Fund managers had hoped this week’s meeting with finance minister Kemi Adeosun and other senior officials would shed light on when currency curbs would be removed.
Many point out that little has been heard on the subject since the central bank’s end-of-May announcement about ditching the peg and a move to use a different, weaker exchange rate for petrol imports.
They were little wiser after Tuesday’s meeting in London’s plush Corinthia Hotel.
“There was nothing on FX policy, which was disappointing given they are doing this round of meetings with investors. It was a straight bat – I don’t think they have worked out the details,” Standard Life Investments portfolio manager, Mark Baker, said.
“My feeling is the (central bank) felt pressured to make an announcement but have not worked out the finer details.”
The central bank has declined to comment since the meeting when the shift to a flexible naira was first announced. The Tuesday roadshow was closed to the media.
Baker and other attendees said they were impressed with other aspects of the presentation by Adeosun, a British-born former banker, who outlined reform plans for a country where energy comprises 70 percent of exports.
But the naira dominates discussions, with investors unwilling to buy it until a devaluation is past.
“We are struggling to value the naira and the message we received from the finance minister yesterday did not indicate that we should expect to see a sizeable devaluation soon,” Pinebridge Investments portfolio manager, Anders Faergeman, said.
Equity investors too are wary of additional Nigeria exposure in absence of currency convertibility, RWC Partners’ James Johnstone said, noting the huge hit domestic growth and consumption have already taken.
Foreigners held $5.4 billion of Nigerian bonds in September 2013 but dumped them after the country was ejected last year from the most widely used GBI-EM debt index.
Nigeria stocks have fallen 6.5 percent this year despite a near-doubling in oil prices. Foreign share dealing was 34.4 billion naira in March, down 66 percent from a year ago, the stock exchange said, and more than half those transactions involved share sales.
And the value of capital imported into Nigeria plunged to $710.97 million in the first quarter, a 73.8 percent decline from year-ago levels, the National Bureau of Statistics said.
“Part of frustration of the situation is that if they did devalue they would trigger a wave of inflows into bonds … that would bring dollars into the market,” Baker said, citing 10-year yields at a juicy 14 percent.
President Muhammadu Buhari who spent his first year in office supporting the peg, has confused matters further by apparently giving his blessing to a flexible exchange rate but saying he remains opposed to devaluation.
Local businesses have been hit much harder by the uncertainty, with the central bank rationing dollars for imports via auctions and exporters required to sell hard currency through banks at the official rate.
That paralysis has been exacerbated by the promise of change but little sign of it actually happening, a top executive at a Nigerian commodity exporter told Reuters in Lagos.
“We heard post-MPC a lot was going to happen. If the central bank had a plan one or two days afterwards they would have released it. Post-MPC, they have created a lot of uncertainty,” the executive said, referring to the central bank meeting.
“We know that a two-window market is coming but don’t know when. We need a bit of clarity which should come as soon as possible.”
Similarly, members of Nigeria’s currency dealers’ association (FMDA) last week said Emefiele’s failure to detail plans showed he “does not understand the meaning of signals”.
But any transition will be a tough one. A devaluation or a removal of curbs could cause a spike in dollar demand which would torpedo the exchange rate.
Exotix economist Alan Cameron estimates the demand backlog could be as big as $3 billion, or 10 percent of central bank reserves. That may be behind the dithering, he says.
“They have allowed this to persist for too long. The risk is they find themselves in a situation where they devalue and find themselves unable to defend the currency even at a weaker rate,” he said.
E-Financial
ACAMB Educates Content Creator to Curb Misinformation on Bank Recapitalisation

In a bid to foster accurate public discourse as well as protect the stability of the financial sector, the Association of Corporate and Marketing Professionals in Banks (ACAMB) has stepped in to educate renowned content creator, Unofficial Osas, following his misrepresentation of facts concerning the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) recapitalisation drive, and subsequent invitation by the Nigerian Police Force.

ACAMB
The intervention by ACAMB led to the successful retraction of a misleading video regarding the CBN recapitalisation policy, demonstrating the Association’s commitment to its core mandate of public enlightenment.
In his official apology video, the content creator stated, “I was invited by the Nigerian police force national cyber crime centre in Abuja over the video I posted on the 15th of December, where i spoke about 12 banks that were shut down in relation to the CBN recapitalisation policy. I would like to offer an official retraction of that video and want to reiterate that no bank is shutting down.
“As a matter of fact, most of the banks have now met the ₦500 billion minimum capital base for banks with international and the N200bn for national banks recapitalisation requirements, so no bank is shutting down.
“I want to specifically appreciate ACAMB. They were very professional in handling this case and did well to educate and enlighten me on the recapitalisation process. I am now better informed and know better”
Commenting on the resolution, President of ACAMB, Jide Sipe, reinforced the Association’s dedication to protecting the integrity of the banking sector. “ACAMB stands for the restoration of professional banking ethics and public confidence through seamless information management and public enlightenment.
“We believe that an informed public is an empowered public. By engaging Unofficial Osas, we ensured that accurate information regarding the resilience and strength of our banks was disseminated to the millions of Nigerians who follow him.”
The Intervention shows ACAMB is dedicated to evolving strategies that enhance and sustain a good image for the nation’s banking sector as well as assist in fostering better banking habits among Nigerians.
E-Financial
FirstCap MD says Payment Security Remains Biggest Barrier to Bankable Gas and Power Projects

Ukandu E. Ukandu, Managing Director/CEO of FirstCap Limited, a leading investment banking firm and subsidiary of First HoldCo Plc., has reaffirmed that payment security remains the most decisive factor in determining whether gas and power projects in Nigeria secure financing.

He shared this perspective during a panel discussion on project bankability at the 2026 SPE Lagos Energy Week.
Ukandu noted that although several risks influence financing decisions, payment risk consistently emerges as the key barrier to financial close.
“Every major risk matter, but payment risk is the ultimate deal‑breaker. Without strong payment security and disciplined collections, no project can attract sustainable financing,” he said.
He explained that lenders typically evaluate three core risk pillars, payment reliability, foreign‑exchange exposure, and contract enforceability, with payment reliability presenting the greatest challenge across Nigeria’s energy value chain. Persistent collection inefficiencies, rising arrears, and liquidity pressures continue to weaken investor confidence.
To enhance payment security, Ukandu highlighted mechanisms widely used by financiers, including letters of credit, bank guarantees, escrow accounts with payment‑waterfall structures, reserve and sinking funds, sovereign or sub‑sovereign support, and take‑or‑pay offtake agreements.
Addressing foreign exchange risk, he noted that volatility remains difficult to manage, especially for projects with dollar‑denominated costs but naira‑denominated revenues. Lenders typically mitigate this through foreign exchange ‑linked tariff indexation, partial dollarisation for credible industrial offtakers, escrow protections, selective hedging, and foreign exchange reserve buffers.
However, he cautioned that indexation alone seldom eliminates exposure due to regulatory limits and timing delays.
On legal and regulatory certainty, Ukandu stressed the need for contracts that are enforceable and clearly structured, particularly around take‑or‑pay obligations, termination payments, step‑in rights, and dispute‑resolution frameworks. He added that factors such as tariff adjustments, licence changes, and price controls can significantly affect project viability if they are not fully addressed at the contracting stage.
While fiscal incentives such as tax holidays and accelerated depreciation can strengthen project economics, Ukandu emphasised that they cannot compensate for weak fundamentals.
“Incentives make a good project better, but they do not make a weak project bankable. Cash‑flow reliability and disciplined foreign exchange management must come first,” he said. He also noted that naira‑based incentives may lose value if project revenues are not indexed.
He concluded by urging industry players to prioritise revenue security from the earliest stages of project structuring: “Protect returns at the source. Build strong offtake arrangements with solid credit support and currency alignment to ensure cash is received in full and on time.”
E-Financial
Sterling HoldCo Starts Allotment of Oversubscribed Public Offer Shares

Sterling Financial Holdings Company Plc (Sterling HoldCo) has begun allotting 12,581,000,000 ordinary shares of 50 kobo each at ₦7.00 per share from its 2025 Public Offer.

Sterling HoldCo
The process follows Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) approvals.
The offer, opened September 15, 2025, drew 18,280 applications for 16.84 billion shares worth ₦117.88 billion—109.79 per cent oversubscribed.
Valid applications from 18,276 shareholders totalled 13.81 billion shares; all compliant applicants receive full allotments.
Refunds for rejects/excess, plus interest, process via RTGS/NIBSS by February 17, 2026, handled by Pace Registrars Limited.
Shares credit to CSCS accounts by the same date; new accounts held in pool pending documentation.
The raise bolsters capital for banking subsidiaries, injects ₦10 billion into SterlingFI Wealth Management to meet SEC rules, and funds credit expansion, innovation, and support for businesses/households.
Strong Financials, Diversified Growth
FY25 interim results show 99 per cent profit before tax growth; gross earnings up 46 per cent to ₦476.5 billion; assets at ₦3.92 trillion; deposits up 18 per cent to ₦2.98 trillion; shareholders’ funds up 39 per cent to ₦424 billion.
Cost-to-income ratio improved to 63 per cent from 72 per cent.
Subsidiaries—Sterling Bank Limited (conventional), The Alternative Bank Limited (non-interest, 150+ branches)—comply with CBN capital rules.
Initiatives include Mata Zalla (women tricycle training) and Plateau agriculture programme.
The offer attracted first-time retail investors, broadening ownership.
Sterling HoldCo welcomes new shareholders, poised for sustained growth and economic impact.
Telecom3 days agoTerra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding
Telecom3 days agoTemu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe
E-Financial3 days agoDMO Offers ₦800bn FGN Bonds in February Auction Surge
E-Financial3 days agoDanjuma, Taj Bank Staff Jailed for 5 Years over N22m Fraud
E-Financial3 days agoKPMG Outlook Reveals Financial Services CEOs Double down on AI, Resilience and Growth in 2026
E-Financial2 days agoEcobank Nigeria Fully Repays $300m Eurobond Notes
News3 days agoChianugo, Nigerian $150m suit Against Google, GoDaddy.com Stalled due Judge’s Absence
E-Financial2 days agoZenith Bank Warns Public Over Fake Jim Ovia Investment Videos












