Connect with us

Telecom

Airtel Loses Interest in 9Mobile Deal

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Bharti Airtel, India’s telecommunication giant, operating in Nigeria as Airtel Nigeria has reportedly dropped its desire to acquire the debt ridden competitor in Nigeria, 9Mobile, stating that it sees little value in the transaction.

 

Hitherto, Airtel had been listed as one of the interested bidders of 9Mobile that made it to the final stage but as two industry sources with knowledge of the deal revealed to Reuters, the Indian telco withdew from submitting a firm bid before the deadline.

 

Barclays Africa is examining takeover bids from prospective buyers for 9mobile. However, a deal may take a few months as it will involve restructuring 9mobile’s debt after a default last year.

 

Airtel had expressed an interest to acquire the Nigerian firm as part of plans to consolidate its position in Africa’s biggest telecoms market, but it declined to submit a financial bid before a Jan. 16 deadline.

 

“Airtel is not interested in 9mobile because it sees little value in the company,” one source said.

 

Another source said the Indian company did not have sufficient information to make an informed bid but added that privately-held Nigerian telecoms firm Globacom had submitted a financial bid.

 

No-one at Bharti Airtel in Nigeria or India was immediately available to comment.

 

Bharti Airtel, headed by Indian billionaire Sunil Mittal, last year reported a 30.8 percent fall in first-quarter net profit, blaming an adverse foreign exchange impact in Nigeria.

 

Previously known as Etisalat Nigeria, 9mobile took out a $1.2 billion syndicated loan from a group of 13 local banks in 2013 but struggled to make repayments last year, forcing its lenders to step in.

 

The central bank then intervened to stop creditors from putting it into receivership, leading to a change in its board and management, as well as its new company name.

 

The crisis forced parent company Etisalat to terminate its management agreement with the Nigerian business and surrender its 45 percent stake to a trustee after the central bank intervention.

 

Since the debt problems came to light, 9mobile, the country’s fourth-biggest operator, has rapidly lost subscribers. In October its users numbered 17.1 million, giving it a 12.2 percent market share, down from 20 million earlier last year, Nigerian telecoms regulator said.

 

South Africa’s MTN, the market leader, has a 36.1 percent share of the market in Nigeria.

Share this:


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Telecom

NCC Begins Review of Nigeria Telecoms Policy after 26 Years

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has commenced a review of Nigeria’s 26-year-old telecommunications policy, saying the current framework no longer reflects the realities of the country’s fast-changing digital economy.

NCC  Begins Review of Nigeria Telecoms Policy after 26 Years

Aminu Maida, EVC, NCC

Speaking  at the national telecommunications policy review workshop in Lagos, Hadiza Usman, special adviser to the president on policy and coordination, said the review had become necessary because Nigeria’s economy, technology ecosystem, and security environment had changed significantly since the national telecommunications policy was introduced in 2000.

“A policy that was fit for purpose in the year 2000 cannot simply be assumed to remain adequate in 2026,” Usman said.

She said telecommunications had evolved beyond voice connectivity and now supports financial technology, digital commerce, education, healthcare, agriculture, innovation, public service delivery, and national security operations.

“Telecommunications is no longer a standalone sector. It is an enabling platform for almost every other sector of national life,” she said.

Usman warned that outdated or poorly coordinated policies weaken implementation, discourage investment, create institutional overlaps, and reduce measurable national impact.

According to her, the revised framework must address broadband penetration, affordability of digital access, quality of service, infrastructure resilience, consumer protection, and inclusion of underserved communities.

“The revised policy must not become another document that sits on shelves. It must become a working instrument,” she said.

The presidential aide also identified fibre cuts, vandalism, multiple taxation, delayed approvals, right-of-way bottlenecks, insecurity, and energy constraints as major obstacles slowing telecommunications infrastructure expansion across the country.

She said resolving the challenges would require coordinated action among federal institutions, state governments, local authorities, regulators, operators, investors, and infrastructure providers.

Earlier, Aminu Maida, executive vice-chairman (EVC) of the NCC, said the telecommunications industry had outgrown the assumptions behind the national telecommunications policy 2000.

Maida said the policy was introduced at a time when Nigeria’s focus was on liberalisation, competition, increased access, and private sector participation in telecommunications services.

According to the EVC, the industry has since evolved into a broader digital ecosystem supporting banking, commerce, education, cloud services, entertainment, digital identity systems, and government operations.

“This is no longer a narrow telecommunications conversation. It is no longer just one sector within the economy; it is a productivity infrastructure for the entire economy,” he said.

Maida added that emerging technologies such as 5G, artificial intelligence, satellite broadband, cloud infrastructure, Internet of Things (IoT), and cybersecurity regulation have further transformed the sector.

He said the review process would also address structural issues including rural connectivity gaps, multiple taxation, vandalism, high energy costs, fibre cuts, and delays in obtaining permits.

“The commission aims to develop a modern policy framework capable of supporting innovation, protecting consumers, improving quality of experience, strengthening investment, and advancing Nigeria’s digital economy ambitions,” Maida said.

The EVC said the workshop was organised to assess implementation of the existing policy, identify gaps, engage stakeholders, and develop recommendations for a new national telecommunications policy 2026.

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

MTN to Turn its African Tower Network Into a Distributed AI Compute Grid

Published

on

Kindly share this post

MTN Group plans to convert its African tower estate into a distributed AI compute fabric, installing open GPU infrastructure at base-station sites so that the same hardware can run both the cellular network and edge AI inference workloads.

MTN to Turn its African Tower Network Into a Distributed AI Compute Grid

The plan was set out by Charles Molapisi, group chief technology and information officer, MTN, at an event hosted by law firm Bowmans in Johannesburg recently— the company’s most detailed explanation yet of how it intends to position itself as the infrastructure layer of Africa’s AI economy.

Every cellular tower today has a baseband unit at its base — single-purpose hardware that exists only to drive the radio access network.

Molapisi said MTN will replace these with open GPU configurations capable of running the radio plus AI inference, in what the company has described as a “distributed AI grid.”

A key pay-off, he argued, is latency. AI workloads that today must be hauled back to a central data centre could instead be processed at or near the tower.

He gave the example of children playing PlayStation on an estate served by a nearby tower: with edge compute installed, the workload could be served locally rather than backhauled to a distant data centre and returned, freeing capacity and cutting round-trip time.

The edge layer sits alongside the centralized half of MTN’s AI infrastructure plan.

The group confirmed in its 2025 financial results in March that it will build two new AI-enabled data centres — one in South Africa and one in Nigeria.

Molapisi described an MTN AI strategy spanning a relatively full stack — procuring silicon, building data centres, running its own cloud platforms, curating models and co-developing applications with partners. The company is also building terrestrial fibre across multiple African markets, including some where it has no GSM licence, to plug what Molapisi called the continent’s missing “rails.”

The investments sit inside MTN’s Ambition 2030 strategy, which reorganized the group around three platforms: connectivity, fintech and digital infrastructure. The tower-to-inference push is the most concrete articulation yet of a thesis MTN has been laying out for more than a year — including an investment in March in U.S. AI-native networking start-up ORAN Development Company alongside NVIDIA, Cisco, Nokia, AT&T and Telecom Italia.

At the time, Mazen Mroué, CEO, Digital Infrastructure CEO, framed the move around “sovereign AI” — the principle that African countries should host AI compute locally rather than relying on offshore infrastructure.

Molapisi said MTN is developing the edge AI grid alongside technology partners, with the ambition for MTN to become “the biggest distributor of edge inference in the continent.”

The strategic case rests on Molapisi’s wider argument that Africa risks repeating its commodity history in the AI era.

With about 1% of global computing power on the continent today, he said, Africa stands to “export raw data” the way it has long exported raw minerals — only to import the intelligence built from it at a premium.

Molapisi conceded that chip generations are turning over quickly enough — NVIDIA’s Hopper to Blackwell inside two years, for example — that procurement decisions made today can be obsolete by deployment. He said MTN is being deliberate about its chip mix and the balance between training and inference silicon, “because if you get that wrong, you’ll get the economics terribly wrong.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Meta Cuts 8,000 Jobs in Major Shift Toward Artificial Intelligence

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Meta Platforms has laid off about 8,000 employees as part of a sweeping restructuring aimed at transforming the tech giant into an artificial intelligence-focused company.

Meta Cuts 8,000 Jobs in Major Shift Toward Artificial Intelligence

Mark Zuckerberg

The layoffs, which account for nearly 10 per cent of Meta’s global workforce, affected employees across Asia, Europe, and the United States, with staff reportedly receiving termination notices via email.

The company also reassigned about 7,000 workers to new AI-related projects as part of its broader organisational overhaul under Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg.

Zuckerberg has consistently described artificial intelligence as the most important technology shaping Meta’s future and has pushed aggressively to position the company at the forefront of the global AI race.

According to reports, the restructuring has generated anxiety among employees, with concerns growing over job security and the increasing deployment of AI systems within Meta’s operations and training processes.

Some workers were also said to have questioned internal data collection practices linked to AI development, while petitions reportedly circulated within company offices calling for greater transparency regarding employee data usage.

Despite the layoffs, Meta is significantly increasing investment in artificial intelligence infrastructure, research, and product development.

The company plans to spend more than 100 billion dollars this year on AI-related initiatives as competition intensifies among global technology firms.

Zuckerberg defended the restructuring, saying companies that lead in artificial intelligence would shape the next generation of digital services and technology innovation.

He acknowledged concerns among employees but maintained that the transition was necessary to ensure Meta’s long-term competitiveness.

Affected workers are expected to receive severance packages including several months of salary and additional compensation based on their years of service.

Industry analysts say the development reflects a broader trend in the technology sector, where companies are reducing traditional roles while expanding investments in artificial intelligence, automation, and advanced computing systems.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending