Connect with us

Telecom

e-Waste: NESREA Regulation Provides for EPR says DG

Published

on

L-R: NESREA Head of Lagos Port Operations, Mrs Ezinwanyi A Udechukwu who represented NESREA DG, Prof. Jauro, delivering the keynote @ITREALMS EWaste Dialogue 2020 held at Welcome Centre Hotel, Lagos, while Executive Director, E-Waste Producers Responsibility Organisation of Nigeria (EPRON) Mrs. Ibukun Faluyi and Editor-in-chief of ITREALMS, Mr. Remmy Nweke, listening.
Kindly share this post

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has said that its 2011 regulations on Electrical/Electronic was based on life cycle approach and has provision on Extended Producer Responsibility Programme (EPR).

Prof. Aliyu Jauro, director-general of NESREA, made these disclosures at the 2020 ITREALMS e-Waste Dialogue held at the Welcome Centre Hotels Lagos, with the theme “e-Waste in Nigeria: Challenges and Opportunities.”

Prof. Jauro, who was represented by Mrs Ezinwanyi Amarachi Udechukwu, head, Lagos Port Operations, in his keynote address, said that in order to realize the agency’s mandate, NESREA had developed various National Environmental Regulations on different sectors of the economy.

“One of such is the National Environmental (Electrical/Electronic sector) Regulations 2011,” he revealed.

Pointing out that this piece of regulation was developed with the thrust to prevent and minimise pollution from all operations and ancillary activities of the electrical/electronic sector to the Nigerian environment.

On the Extended Producer Responsibility Programme (EPR), Prof. Jauro said, is a key initiative of government that mandates manufacturers, importers and distributors to take-back their end-of-life products from the environment.

“The programme is designed to evolve a process whereby the manufacturer of a product imbibes the cleaner production principles of conserving raw materials and energy by taking responsibility for the entire life cycle of the product and ensuring that waste from such products are minimized and reused in one form or the other,” he explained.

Further, he said that the operational guidelines for EPR had been developed and published, delineating responsibilities for the key sector players, namely the producers, consumers, collectors, recyclers, the Producer Responsibility Organizations (PROs) and the government.

“The guidelines define the procedures for manufacturers, importers, assemblers and major distributors and it explains the modalities for the implementation of the EPR programme and the target waste streams such as used batteries, e-waste, plastics, tires, chemicals, paper, etc,” Prof. Jauro said.

He equally cited an instance of the recent intervention by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), which aimed at stimulating the development of a sustainable circular economy for end-of-life electronic products in Nigeria, including the treatment and management of e-waste.

This, he said, will indirectly support the E-waste Producers Responsibility Organisation of Nigeria (EPRON) established through collaboration with NESREA; to provide the enabling environment for participation of the stakeholders.

In addition, DG noted, Nigeria may have imported an estimated 15,700 tonnes of e-waste, most of which came from the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD-Tvs) containing mercury, refrigerators and air conditioners containing.

Welcoming participants earlier, Mr. Remmy Nweke, editor-in-chief of ITREALMS Media,  noted that ITREALMS e-Waste Dialogue, was initially scheduled for October 14 but due to COVID-19 lockdown and #EndSARS protest nationwide, “it had to be rescheduled to Thursday, December 17, 2020 as part of the Nigeria Internet Waste Dialogue.”

Highlighting the fact there are concerns over the waste associated with the electrical and electronic equipment coming originating from the likes of mobile phones, computers, TV-sets, and fridges to name but a few, hence ITREALMS e-Waste Dialogue, aligns with the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) organized “Internet Waste Dialogue” in commemoration of the annual International eWaste Day (IeWD).

He revealed that the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) and Internet Exchange Point of Nigeria (IXPN) were among other stakeholders who supported the 2020 ITREALMS E-Waste Dialogue.


Kindly share this post

Ugo Onwuaso is an ICT enthusiast. He believes technology should be used for general good. He holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from the Lagos state University. Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

Telecom

Terra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Olugbenga Agboola, Flutterwave CEO has joined a $22 million funding extension for Nigerian defensetech start-up Terra Industries as Africa’s fast-growing drone and security technology sector begins to attract capital far beyond traditional venture circles.

The round was led by Lux Capital, with participation from Agboola through Resilience17 Capital and returning investors including 8VC and Nova Global.

It follows an $11.75 million raise just weeks earlier, bringing Terra’s total funding to $34 million as the company accelerates expansion into high-risk security markets.

Terra, founded in 2024 by 24-year-old chief engineer Maxwell Maduka and CEO Nathan Nwachuku, builds autonomous drones and surveillance systems designed to protect critical infrastructure such as energy facilities, logistics corridors and industrial sites. The startup says it is already safeguarding assets worth billions of dollars while securing early federal and commercial contracts.

Agboola’s involvement highlights a broader shift in African tech investment patterns. While fintech has long dominated venture flows, escalating infrastructure sabotage and terrorism threats have elevated demand for locally developed security hardware.

“Nigeria’s drone ecosystem is rapidly evolving from hobbyist and mapping use cases toward industrial monitoring, border surveillance and energy protection, areas increasingly seen as foundational to economic stability.

“This is about backing infrastructure security at scale. Africa’s growth depends on resilient systems that protect critical assets,” said Agboola.

Terra CEO Nwachuku is adamant that locally engineered systems are better suited to African operating conditions. “We are building tools designed for the realities on the ground. Security technology should not always be imported when local innovation can respond faster and more effectively,” he stated.

Lux Capital partner Brandon Reeves underlined that the investor appetite, which has drawn fintech heavyweight interest such as Agboola, reflects rising cross-sector confidence in African defense technology as a commercial category. “Security is a prerequisite for economic growth,” he said.

“As Terra ramps production and expands regionally, its funding milestone illustrates a wider transformation. Drone and autonomous security platforms are no longer peripheral experiments but emerging pillars in Africa’s technology landscape, where fintech leaders and venture capital converge around safeguarding the infrastructure powering the continent’s next growth phase,” said Reeves

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Temu, the global e-commerce platform expanding in Nigeria, has officially addressed an inquiry from the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) over alleged data privacy violations, confirming its commitment to compliance with the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023.

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Temu

The company’s response follows NDPC’s investigation into Temu’s data processing practices.

In a statement to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Temu stressed its dedication to local and international data protection standards, noting ongoing communication with the regulator. “At Temu, protecting user privacy and data security is a top priority. We are committed to complying with applicable laws and regulations in our data practices,” the statement read.

Temu further affirmed: “We can confirm that Temu has received the inquiry and is engaging with the Commission. We will continue to engage in open and constructive dialogue with the NDPC to address any questions or concerns.”

Under Dr. Vincent Olatunji’s leadership, NDPC has ramped up scrutiny of foreign digital platforms to safeguard Nigerian citizens’ personal data—from contact details to financial information—ensuring transparent and secure handling. For e-commerce giants like Temu, managing vast consumer data volumes demands strict regulatory alignment to sustain operations and trust in Africa’s biggest economy.

Industry observers view Temu’s proactive stance as a savvy bid to ease tensions, mirroring Nigeria’s firm handling of platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and fintechs. This engagement underscores NDPC’s rising clout, compelling investors and foreign entrants to prioritise data compliance costs.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek sees Temu’s approach as a model for global retailers eyeing Nigeria’s booming digital retail sector through 2026.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Nigeria has Capacity for Real-Time Electronic Transmission – Telcos

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Engr. Gbenga Adebayo, chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), has said Nigeria possesses adequate telecom infrastructure to support real-time electronic transmission of election results.

Nigeria has capacity for Real-Time electronic transmission – Telcos

Telcos

Speaking on concerns raised about the country’s readiness, Adebayo insisted that any assessment of telecom coverage not issued by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) should be treated with caution.

“On what survey or data is the Senate basing its claim of inadequate telecom infrastructure?” he asked. “Currently, more than 70 percent of the country is covered by 3G and 4G networks. 5G coverage stands at about 11 percent, while the remaining areas are served by 2G.”

He added that even 2G networks are capable of supporting electronic transmission of results.

“I don’t know the source of the Senate’s information, but imposing a blanket ban on electronic transmission based on incomplete or inaccurate claims about infrastructure and investment is not justified,” he said.

Adebayo acknowledged that security challenges in about two states have made it risky for telecom operators to maintain facilities in certain locations.

However, he stressed that such issues could be addressed collectively by relevant stakeholders rather than concluding that the entire country is unprepared for electronic transmission.

His position aligns with that of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which in 2022 dismissed similar concerns.

INEC had explained that in areas with temporary network challenges, results uploaded to its iREV portal would automatically transmit once the devices entered locations with network coverage.

 

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending