Connect with us

Telecom

How Olu Falae’s Kidnap Triggered $5.2Bn on MTN

Published

on

Michael Ikpoki, CEO of MTN Nigeria
Kindly share this post

When the federal government failed to trace owners of SIM cards used by kidnappers of Olu Falae, a prominent politician in September, it was the final straw for Nigeria after what it called a string of violations by telecoms firm MTN Group, according to Reuters.

MTN, Africa’s biggest mobile phone company was given a $5.2 billion penalty by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) last month after the South African company failed to cut off users with unregistered SIM cards from its network.

Nigeria has been pushing industry players to verify the identity of their subscribers on worries that unregistered SIM cards were being used for criminal activity in a country facing Islamic militant group Boko Haram’s insurgency.

The fine, which is based on a $1,000 for each phone line MTN failed to cut off, has left investors, including its biggest shareholder, wondering how the company failed to comply with the law that carried that such a heavy penalty.

“We are equally concerned that MTN seems to have failed to anticipate the fine and take preventative actions,” said the Public Investment Corporation, MTN biggest shareholder with about 16.6 percent stake.

The NCC raised the prospect of a penalty on MTN Group and other players in Africa’s biggest economy at least two months before imposing the fine on the Johannesburg-based company.

According to Reuters, but the final straw for MTN, according to an NCC source, came a month after the high profile kidnapping of former Nigerian Finance Minister and runner-up candidate in the 1999 presidential election, Olu Falae, on September 21.

The company said this week that it was in talks with Nigerian authorities about a penalty which would wipe out more than two years of annual profit.

When the NCC imposed the penalty MTN had been talking with the regulator about the exact number of people that needed to be disconnected from the network, two sources familiar with the matter.

In a meeting with the state security agency and all operators on August 4, the NCC had asked MTN to cut off between 10 and 18.6 million users but MTN told the regulator that it only had 5.2 million users whose identity could not be verified, an NCC source said.

“MTN was under the presumption that it can carry on business as usual because it was still in discussion with the regulators,” the source said.

MTN has said the fine related to the “timing of the disconnection” of subscribers and is expected to argue that it could not cut off any subscribers by the deadline date because it had been in talks with regulator.

By September, other operators, which include United Arab Emirates’ Etisalat and India’s Bharti Airtel, had fully verified their users and cut off those they could not verify their identity while MTN had made a “partial attempt”, the NCC said.

Then, on October 22, four weeks after the abduction of Falae and about two months after the August deadline, the NCC, on advice from the state security agency, decided to impose the fine but only made it public four days later.

“These SIM cards with invalid registrations pose a grave security risk to the country,” the NCC memo said. “The recent kidnapping of the former finance minister Chief Olu Falae is one example of this risk.”

MTN also faces a Johannesburg bourse investigation on the timing of its announcement of the penalty. The company declined to comment.


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

Terra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Olugbenga Agboola, Flutterwave CEO has joined a $22 million funding extension for Nigerian defensetech start-up Terra Industries as Africa’s fast-growing drone and security technology sector begins to attract capital far beyond traditional venture circles.

The round was led by Lux Capital, with participation from Agboola through Resilience17 Capital and returning investors including 8VC and Nova Global.

It follows an $11.75 million raise just weeks earlier, bringing Terra’s total funding to $34 million as the company accelerates expansion into high-risk security markets.

Terra, founded in 2024 by 24-year-old chief engineer Maxwell Maduka and CEO Nathan Nwachuku, builds autonomous drones and surveillance systems designed to protect critical infrastructure such as energy facilities, logistics corridors and industrial sites. The startup says it is already safeguarding assets worth billions of dollars while securing early federal and commercial contracts.

Agboola’s involvement highlights a broader shift in African tech investment patterns. While fintech has long dominated venture flows, escalating infrastructure sabotage and terrorism threats have elevated demand for locally developed security hardware.

“Nigeria’s drone ecosystem is rapidly evolving from hobbyist and mapping use cases toward industrial monitoring, border surveillance and energy protection, areas increasingly seen as foundational to economic stability.

“This is about backing infrastructure security at scale. Africa’s growth depends on resilient systems that protect critical assets,” said Agboola.

Terra CEO Nwachuku is adamant that locally engineered systems are better suited to African operating conditions. “We are building tools designed for the realities on the ground. Security technology should not always be imported when local innovation can respond faster and more effectively,” he stated.

Lux Capital partner Brandon Reeves underlined that the investor appetite, which has drawn fintech heavyweight interest such as Agboola, reflects rising cross-sector confidence in African defense technology as a commercial category. “Security is a prerequisite for economic growth,” he said.

“As Terra ramps production and expands regionally, its funding milestone illustrates a wider transformation. Drone and autonomous security platforms are no longer peripheral experiments but emerging pillars in Africa’s technology landscape, where fintech leaders and venture capital converge around safeguarding the infrastructure powering the continent’s next growth phase,” said Reeves

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Temu, the global e-commerce platform expanding in Nigeria, has officially addressed an inquiry from the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) over alleged data privacy violations, confirming its commitment to compliance with the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023.

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Temu

The company’s response follows NDPC’s investigation into Temu’s data processing practices.

In a statement to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Temu stressed its dedication to local and international data protection standards, noting ongoing communication with the regulator. “At Temu, protecting user privacy and data security is a top priority. We are committed to complying with applicable laws and regulations in our data practices,” the statement read.

Temu further affirmed: “We can confirm that Temu has received the inquiry and is engaging with the Commission. We will continue to engage in open and constructive dialogue with the NDPC to address any questions or concerns.”

Under Dr. Vincent Olatunji’s leadership, NDPC has ramped up scrutiny of foreign digital platforms to safeguard Nigerian citizens’ personal data—from contact details to financial information—ensuring transparent and secure handling. For e-commerce giants like Temu, managing vast consumer data volumes demands strict regulatory alignment to sustain operations and trust in Africa’s biggest economy.

Industry observers view Temu’s proactive stance as a savvy bid to ease tensions, mirroring Nigeria’s firm handling of platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and fintechs. This engagement underscores NDPC’s rising clout, compelling investors and foreign entrants to prioritise data compliance costs.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek sees Temu’s approach as a model for global retailers eyeing Nigeria’s booming digital retail sector through 2026.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Nigeria has Capacity for Real-Time Electronic Transmission – Telcos

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Engr. Gbenga Adebayo, chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), has said Nigeria possesses adequate telecom infrastructure to support real-time electronic transmission of election results.

Nigeria has capacity for Real-Time electronic transmission – Telcos

Telcos

Speaking on concerns raised about the country’s readiness, Adebayo insisted that any assessment of telecom coverage not issued by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) should be treated with caution.

“On what survey or data is the Senate basing its claim of inadequate telecom infrastructure?” he asked. “Currently, more than 70 percent of the country is covered by 3G and 4G networks. 5G coverage stands at about 11 percent, while the remaining areas are served by 2G.”

He added that even 2G networks are capable of supporting electronic transmission of results.

“I don’t know the source of the Senate’s information, but imposing a blanket ban on electronic transmission based on incomplete or inaccurate claims about infrastructure and investment is not justified,” he said.

Adebayo acknowledged that security challenges in about two states have made it risky for telecom operators to maintain facilities in certain locations.

However, he stressed that such issues could be addressed collectively by relevant stakeholders rather than concluding that the entire country is unprepared for electronic transmission.

His position aligns with that of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which in 2022 dismissed similar concerns.

INEC had explained that in areas with temporary network challenges, results uploaded to its iREV portal would automatically transmit once the devices entered locations with network coverage.

 

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending