Connect with us

Telecom

MTN Dismisses Illegal Money Repatriation Charges

Published

on

MTN logop.jpg
Kindly share this post

Phutuma Nhleko, MTN group chairman, said on Thursday that accusations that Africa’s biggest mobile operator had moved funds illegally out of Nigeria had no basis.

MTN is facing an investigation by Nigerian lawmakers for allegedly illegally repatriating $14 billion between 2006 and 2016.

MTN has denied any wrongdoing.

Last year, Dino Melaye, Kogi West Senator, alleged that MTN illegally repatriated N13.9 billion, in connivance with four commercial banks and a serving minister.

On January this year, Justice Abdulaziz Anka of the Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the temporary forfeiture of the sum of N8 billion allegedly belonging to MTN Communications Limited to the Federal Government.

The judge gave the order that the sum, suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activity, which are stashed in account number 0012005379 domicile in Ecobank, be temporarily forfeited following an ex-parte application to that effect filed before the court by the federal government.

Also affected by the order of the court is another account number 1013607079 containing billions of Naira domicile in Skye Bank Plc, whose owner has not file any application before the court to contest ownership.

Justice Anka further gave an order directing the publication of a notice in two National Daily newspapers inviting any person(s) who may have interest in the subject funds to, within 14 days of the publication of the order, show cause why a final order should not be made forfeiting the said funds to the government of Nigeria.

The judge also directed that the order should be served on the respective branch managers of the respondents banks and to stop forthwith all outward payments from the subject accounts and to immediately deliver to the court the respective statements of account with certificate of authentication and other relevant documents as at the date and time of service of the court order on them.

The suit, in which the government obtained the order, was marked FHC/L/CS/1676/2016 and filed by an Abuja based lawyer, Barrister John Opeyemi, on behalf of Attorney- General of the Federation (AGF), and an asset recovery agent of the federal government, Algaita Group Nigeria Limited.

In an affidavit sworn to by the Managing Director of Algaita Group Limited, Abdullahi Mohammed Maiturare, he averred that the AGF appointed his company as an Asset Recovery Agent of the Federal Government of Nigeria to track, freeze and recover funds and ensure it is remitted to the designated bank account of the Federal Government of Nigeria through legally permissible means as may be directed by the Attorney General of the Federation.

Maiturare, a former operative of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), also claimed that his company has credible information at its disposal which reveals that funds which are strongly believed to be Federal Government of Nigeria’s funds stolen, diverted and laundered are hidden in some coded accounts in the two banks Ecobank and Skye bank.

He further maintained that credible information at his disposal, from reliable sources, indicates that there is an account maintained at Ecobank Nigeria Limited in the name of MTN Nigeria Communications operating account number 0012005379 that has a credit balance of N8 billion.

Maiturare also alleged that “from the totality of the credible information at our disposal, the applicants reasonably believe and satisfied that the funds in the possession of the two banks are unclaimed properties or proceeds of unlawful activity of stealing, diversion and money laundering of some public officials and their cronies in the private sector.

“Consequently if urgent steps are not taken to obtain certified documents of the accounts and statements thereof as well as stop outward transactions on the accounts, the funds may be dissipated and the account documentation or statements may be tampered with,” he insisted.

But in a preliminary objection, MTN Communications Limited has urged the court to discharge and set aside the orders made on it, as it relates to its account held with Ecobank Limited.

The telecommunications company, in an affidavit sworn to by a legal practitioner, Mrs. Ibukunoluwa Owa on behalf of MTN communication and filed before the court by Adeniyi Adegbonmire (SAN), the deponent averred that from information delivered to him by Babatunde Adewumi, the Manager, Banking and Treasury in the employment of MTN communication limited, the applicants did not comply with the order of the court.

He specifically pointed out that the order of the court directing the applicant to publish the ex-parte order was not obeyed, therefore the respondent was not aware of the order of the court until, Ecobank wrote a letter to the company to intimate it of the said order.

Mrs Owa also averred that the subject account was opened by Ecobank Nigeria upon instructions given by MTN on October 9, 2007 and that MTN has operated the account since then till date in accordance with banking practice applicable to current account held by corporate bodies in Nigeria.

She also claimed that the order has adversely affected the smooth running of the business of MTN as it finds it difficult to utilize the funds held in the account in pursuit of its lawful business.

She further maintained that the funds are not suspected proceeds of unlawful activity; therefore urge the court to discharge the order.

MTN’s application to discharge the order was accompanied with affidavit of urgency and application urging the court to hear the case during Christmas vacation, consequently no further date has been fixed for hearing.


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

NCC Orders Telcos Inform Subscribers of Data Breach within 48 Hours

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has directed telecom operators in the country to notify affected customers of any data breach within 48 hours ( that is two day) of detecting such unauthorised infringement.

NCC Orders Telcos Inform Subscribers of Data Breach within 48 Hours

This directive was  contained in the revised Internet Code of Practice 2026 by the NCC, on Friday.

The document seeks to define the rights and obligations of telecom operators in handing the rights of internet users to an open internet.

In the move to protect customer information, Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are to take necessary measures to protect customers’ data from unauthorised use, disclosure, access or breach.

Telecom operators must now notify affected customers within 48 hours of detecting a compromise through text message, email or any other effective means. As contained in Chapter 3.4 of the regulation titled “Data Breach Notifications,”

The telecoms companies are also directed to notify the NCC of such a breach not later than 48 hours after determining such a breach.

Where full details of the breach are not immediately available, the provider shall issue a preliminary notification within the same period and furnish a comprehensive update within Fourteen (14) days thereafter, or within such extended period as the Commission may approve,” part of the section reads.

The guidelines, according to NCC, are in tandem with the provisions contained in the Nigerian Data Protection Act 2023 and Part VI of Schedule 1 of the Consumer Code of Practice Regulations 2024.

The regulation also joins other agencies’ policies, ensuring protection. Agencies such as the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) and the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) protect consumers against misuse of personal data, identity theft, financial loss, and reputation damage.

The review comes at a time when privacy becomes core amid frequent breaches and illegal harvest of data such as biometric, national IDs, financial information, traffic and usage, and others.

Regulations are necessary for the proper handling, consent, and regulatory compliance regarding sensitive data, ensuring it is only processed for legitimate purposes.

Under Chapter 3.5, the Internet Code of Practice 2026 addressed the handling of harvesting of transactional data by notifying and getting approval from the NCC of any usage by a third party. It noted that the NCC approval will be defined by a review and assessment of such access and “its potential effects on national considerations, consumer information and personal data.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Globacom Promotes Valentine Gifting with Huge Discounts on Smartphones

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Globacom has announced a Valentine Smartphone promotion, which provides incredible savings on a variety of high-end smartphones from top manufacturers including Tecno, Samsung, and Infinix.

Starting on February 9, the promotion provides substantial price reductions on a number of Samsung models, including the Galaxy Z Fold 7, Galaxy A07, Galaxy A56 5G, Galaxy A36 5G, and Galaxy A26 5G. Customers who buy any of the phones will also receive a complimentary travel pouch and charger, as well as up to 18GB of extra data for six months, only available on the Glo network.

Along with other Infinix models, Tecno devices are also offered at attractive discounts, giving customers a large range of smartphones to fit a variety of tastes and price ranges.

The goal of the Glo Valentine promotion is to provide customers with the best possible deals on carefully chosen smartphones that are renowned for their cutting-edge technology, stylish designs, and dependable performance. The offer, which includes alternatives to suit a range of budgets and lifestyles, reaffirms Globacom’s dedication to customer happiness, digital adoption, greater data usage, and client centricity.

The company revealed that the promotion aligned with customers’ expectations during celebratory seasons, when demand is highest for quality smartphones at affordable prices. The company added that its partnership with trusted global and regional brands such as Samsung, Infinix, and Tecno ensures that customers enjoy premium features without compromising on value.

“The Valentine season is about connection, and what better way to stay connected than with a smartphone that fits your needs and aspirations,” the company stated. “This promo gives our customers the chance to get their dream smartphones at some of the best prices of the year, along with generous data bonuses to keep them connected,” the company disclosed.

Customers are encouraged to visit Gloworld outlets nationwide to take advantage of the Valentine Smartphone Promo while stocks last.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

GBB Expands Broadband to 13 Underserved Communities In 2025

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Galaxy Backbone Limited (GBB) has recorded a significant milestone in Nigeria’s digital transformation journey by advancing broadband connectivity to 13 underserved institutions and communities nationwide in 2025, reinforcing its position as the nation’s digital backbone and a trusted partner in national development.

Guided by its mandate to enable a digitally inclusive Nigeria, GBB deliberately extended connectivity to locations within reach of its infrastructure footprint, particularly institutions with strong potential for productive use but limited readiness for immediate commercial engagement. Through this effort, the organisation continues to unlock opportunity, stimulate innovation, and support sustainable growth across critical sectors of the economy.

The expansion reached three Federal Universities, two Local Government Areas, and eight Federal Secretariats, strengthening digital capabilities in education and public administration while enhancing service delivery across the country.

GBB also extended reliable broadband connectivity to strategic and cultural landmarks such as the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, underscoring its commitment to supporting national infrastructure that drives economic activity, mobility, and global connectivity.

These deployments highlight Galaxy Backbone’s resolve to bridge the digital divide and empower institutions that shape Nigeria’s future. They demonstrate the measurable national impact of GBB’s infrastructure investments and reflect the tangible progress of the Integrated Digital Transformation Strategy (IDTS), further solidifying the organisation’s role as the platform upon which government institutions and communities can confidently build their digital future.

More importantly, the milestone illustrates that GBB’s work extends beyond technology by enabling education, improving governance, supporting economic participation, and connecting citizens to opportunity.

The initiative aligns with the Federal Government’s broadband penetration objectives and complements national programmes such as Project 774 – Universities’ Hostel Connectivity, ensuring coordinated, scalable, and sustainable impact across the country. Commenting on the achievement, Galaxy Backbone noted that every new connection brings Nigeria closer to a more inclusive digital economy while reinforcing the infrastructure required for innovation and national competitiveness.

As implementation continues, GBB remains committed to expanding access, pushing boundaries, and delivering on the promise of a fully digital nation, with further updates expected as additional phases of the deployment progress.

Galaxy Backbone Limited is the Federal Government’s digital infrastructure and shared services provider, dedicated to delivering secure, reliable, and scalable ICT solutions that support efficient governance, innovation, and sustainable national development.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending