Connect with us

E-Financial

Panel Recovers $7m ‘Stashed’ in Heritage Bank, Others

Published

on

Kindly share this post

The Special Presidential Investigation Panel (SPIP) for the Recovery of Public Property has recovered seven dollars million (N2.1 billion at official rate) illegally kept in Heritage Bank.

 

Mr Okoi Obono-Obla, chairman of the panel, disclosed this while briefing President Muhammadu Buhari on activities of the panel.

 

Lucie-Ann Laha, spokesperson of the SPIP in a statement on Tuesday, quoted Obono-Obla as telling the president that the panel had also recovered N533 million and land worth N1.5 billion, all from the “previous management” of NEXIM Bank.

 

He said the recovered funds and property had since been returned to the bank.

 

Obono-Obla stated that the panel had also recovered and returned to the National Theatre, N24 million which was allegedly diverted by some directors of the agency.

 

Also recovered, he said, were two hectares of land in Abuja valued at over N2 billion, belonging to the National Council of Arts and Culture.

 

The chairman further told President Buhari that the panel also recovered and returned a part of Agura Hotel belonging to the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA).

 

He said the recovered part of the hotel had been illegally “annexed by some so-called powerful persons with untouchable connections for over 20 years’’.

 

Other recoveries by the SPIP, according to Obono-Obla, are 19 official Sports Utility Vehicles allegedly made away with by former Commissioners of the National Population Commission after their tenures in office.

 

He said the panel had charged a former Director in the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing to court for failure to declare his assets.

 

The assets include houses in upscale areas of Abuja, a quarry and a farm within the Federal Capital Territory, for which a court has granted an interim forfeiture order, he said.

 

“The SPIP is also investigating some members of the National Assembly and former governors for a range of alleged offences.

 

“These include illegal purchase of designated official residences for principal officers of the National Assembly excluded from the monetisation policy at giveaway prices.

 

“Others are purchase of several property worth hundreds of millions in various currencies, and flagrant abuse of office thus causing financial adversity to the nation,” Obono-Obla said in the briefing.

 

He said the SPIP was partnering with the United Kingdom’s Home Secretary to ensure that some public officers “perceived to have looted public funds and illegally acquired assets both in Nigeria and the UK’’ were prevented from entering that country.

 

The SPIP chairman equally told Buhari that the panel was beaming its searchlight on several companies for a wide range of alleged offences.

 

Some of the companies, he said, are Celtel, for alleged tax evasion since 2005; Western Oil and Gas, for illegally drilling crude oil in Delta, and seven others for alleged failure to pay royalties to the Federal Government in about 10 years.

 

He said some multinational oil companies based in Egi Kingdom, Rivers, were also being investigated for allegedly conniving with unscrupulous individuals to dodge their obligations to the community to the tune of N38 billion and 30 million dollars.

 

“Also under investigation by the panel is another company, which has failed to to fulfill its contractual agreement to dredge the Calabar Channel, years after receiving $12 million.

 

“The panel has also compiled a list of over 200 past and serving public officers perceived to have illegally enriched themselves at the expense of the nation and the Nigerian people, among others,” Obono-Obla said in the briefing.

 

Buhari, according to the SPIP spokesperson, assured the panel of his continued support and non-interference in line with his administration’s stance on the anti-corruption fight.

 

Obono-Obla said the panel would remain committed to its mandate, in addition to complementing the Federal Government’s fight against corruption.

 

He solicited the continued support of Nigerians to the panel with useful information that would lead to the recovery of looted public assets.

 


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

E-Financial

Ecobank Nigeria Fully Repays $300m Eurobond Notes

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Ecobank Nigeria has announced the successful repayment of the outstanding principal and accrued interest on its original $300 million Eurobond due February 16, 2026, marking a significant milestone in its liability management strategy and overall balance sheet strengthening efforts.

Ecobank Nigeria Fully Repays $300m Eurobond Notes

Following the full repayment of the Eurobond obligations, the Bank stated that it will now focus its funding initiatives primarily on the domestic capital markets. T

his strategic shift reflects growing confidence in Nigeria’s local debt market and aligns with Ecobank Nigeria’s long-term objective of optimising funding costs while deepening its participation in the domestic financial ecosystem.

“Going forward, Ecobank Nigeria will prioritise domestic credit ratings and local debt issuance to achieve its funding objectives,” stated Ogorchukwu Okwechime, Financial Controller, Ecobank Nigeria, in Lagos.

He added that the successful repayment reinforces the Bank’s commitment to maintaining a resilient balance sheet and sustaining investor confidence.

The tender offer was conducted with Renaissance Capital Africa (Renaissance Securities Nigeria Limited) acting as financial adviser and dealer manager, while Sodali & Co Limited served as tender agent.

The notes were originally issued by EBN Finance Company B.V., with limited recourse to the issuer, for the sole purpose of financing the purchase of the US$300 million 7.125 per cent Senior Note due 2026 issued by Ecobank Nigeria.

The transaction underscores Ecobank Nigeria’s proactive approach to liability management, prudent capital planning, and strategic alignment with evolving market conditions.

It further positions the Bank to leverage domestic funding opportunities while maintaining financial flexibility and operational stability.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

E-Financial

BoI Secures CBN’s Approval for Non-interest Banking Operation

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Bank of Industry (BOI) has received approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to operate a Non-Interest Banking (NIB) Window.

BoI Secures CBN’s Approval for Non-interest Banking Operation

Theodora Amechi, bank’s divisional head, Public Relations, said the regulatory nod allows BOI to launch non-interest banking operations, targeting underserved business segments with tailored financial solutions to support Nigeria’s industrial development.

BOI stated that NIB operations will promote inclusive growth, attract ethical funding, bolster the real economy, and finance customer assets and raw materials using approved non-interest products.

“This approval authorises BOI to commence Non-Interest Banking operations, positioning the bank to further advance Nigeria’s sustainable and inclusive industrial development through tailored financial solutions for underserved and high-impact business segments.

“The Non-interest Banking operations will enable BOI to drive inclusive growth, mobilise new ethical funding, expand support for the real economy, and align its financing activities with social and developmental objectives.

According to the bank, under this framework, BOI will be able to finance customers’ assets and raw materials using approved Non-Interest Banking products.

Announcing this milestone, Dr Olasupo Olusi, MD/CEO, Bank of Industry,  said, “This licence marks a pivotal moment in the Bank’s journey of transforming Nigeria’s industrial sector. With this licence, we can reach a new category of borrowers who, before now, could not be served.”

He said the approval underscores the CBN’s confidence in the Bank’s commitment to responsible financing, adding that it will allow the bank to scale its operations, introduce innovative financing solutions, and deepen support for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), as well as other underserved segments critical to Nigeria’s sustainable economic growth.

“BOI’s decision to commence Non-Interest Banking operations is aimed at expanding access to ethical funding for businesses—particularly those that have traditionally avoided conventional interest-based financing.

This initiative opens new opportunities for ethically motivated and faith-sensitive enterprises, as well as segments of the economy that face challenges accessing traditional credit.

It enables such businesses to access much-needed financing and participate confidently in the formal financial system in a manner consistent with their values and business realities.

Bank of Industry (BOI) is Nigeria’s foremost Development Finance Institution, committed to driving industrial growth and inclusive economic development,” Olusi said.

Established in 1959 as the Investment Company of Nigeria (ICON) and reconstituted as Nigerian Industrial Development Bank (NIDB) under World Bank guidance in 1964.

The Bank assumed its current form in 2001 following the merger of the Nigerian Bank for Commerce and Industry (NBCI) and the National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND).

The Bank’s primary mandate is to provide financial assistance for the establishment and expansion of large, medium, small-scale, and micro projects.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

E-Financial

Zenith Bank Warns Public Over Fake Jim Ovia Investment Videos

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Zenith Bank Plc has cautioned the public against fraudulent videos circulating online falsely claiming that Group Chairman Dr. Jim Ovia endorses an investment scheme called “Wealth Bridge.”

Zenith Bank Warns Public Over Fake Jim Ovia Investment Videos

Jim Ovia

In a disclaimer issued Tuesday by its management, the bank described the videos—circulated via the “Greece Island” Facebook handle—as entirely fake, doctored content bearing no connection to Dr. Ovia, the bank, or its affiliates.

The materials falsely promise up to N2 million in weekly returns for a N380,000 investment, while baselessly alleging Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) endorsement and redirecting viewers to a sham “Arise News” webpage with a signup portal.

“Our attention has been drawn to a doctored video and still pictures currently circulating on social media, purporting to depict the Group Chairman of Zenith Bank Plc (‘the Bank’) as endorsing an investment scheme called ‘Wealth Bridge’ on the ‘Greece Island’ Facebook handle and soliciting members of the public to engage in a business relationship with the so-called entity,” the statement read.

“This claim is entirely false and has no connection whatsoever to the Group Chairman, the Bank or any of its affiliate companies.”

Zenith Bank stressed that Dr. Ovia and the institution have no knowledge of or partnership with “Wealth Bridge,” “delicious sitee,” “AfriQuantumX,” “Stock market analyst 1,” or related entities. The public was warned that dealing with these schemes carries full personal risk.

Ravenewsonline urges vigilance against rising impersonation scams targeting financial institutions.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending