Broadcasting
Senate Asks Pay-TV Providers to Slash Tariff

The Senate has asked all cable television service providers to immediately review their bouquet prices downwards, in tandem with the prevailing reality of the economic situation in Nigeria.

Ahmad Lawan, president of the Senate, also on Wednesday, constituted a seven-man ad hoc committee to investigate the hike in the tariffs imposed on subscribers by pay-tv service providers operating in Nigeria.
Lawan, while announcing members of the committee chaired by Senator Aliyu Sabi-Abdullahi, deputy majority whip, tasked the panel with carrying out a comprehensive probe into how pay-tv service providers impose bills on subscribers in other countries.
Members of the committee include Senators Sulaiman Kwari, Oluremi Tinubu, Yusuf Yusuf, Lekan Mustapha, Chukwuka Utazi, Akon Eyakenyi.
The Senate had earlier kicked against the increase in tariffs by MultiChoice Nigeria, owners of DStv.
A member, Senator Abba Moro, had moved a motion titled ‘Nigerians Dumbfounded, Outraged Over Pay-TV Tariff Hikes, Demand for Pay-Per-View Subscription model.’
Moro noted the concern and uproar in the public over tariff hikes by service providers on their bouquets.
The lawmaker made reference to DStv which told its Compact bouquet subscribers on August, 22 2020, to expect a 13.3 per cent price increase to N7,900, up from N6, 975, with effect from September 1, 2020.
Moro decried that the Compact plus was jacked up by 9.8 per cent, from N10,925 to N12,000; and Premium from N16, 200 to N18,400, indicating a 13.6 per cent hike.
He said, “MultiChoice Nigeria willfully and perpetually increases the cost of its bundles because there is no regulation whatsoever in the area of fixing rates.”
“As usual, without recourse to the economic situation of the country, MultiChoice has again raised the cost of its DStv and GOtv bundles, stating them as follows: DStv Premium (N21,000), Compact (N14,250), Compact (N9, 000), Confam (N5, 300), Yanga (N2, 950), Padi (N2, 150), Business(N2, 669), Xtraview PVR access fee (N2, 900).
“Those of GOtv are as follows: GOtv Max (N4,150), GOtv Jolli (N2, 6669), GOtv Jinja (N1, 900), GOtv Lite (N900).”
The lawmaker expressed concern that thousands of pay-tv subscribers in Nigeria have bitterly reacted to the development on different social media platforms, ranging from deep shock to pure outrage with many asking the Nigerian government to checkmate the activities of pay-tv service providers in Nigeria, especially in the area of fixing prices.
Moro added that among the bitter complaints of Nigerian subscribers of pay-tv services was the poor network service experienced as a result of bad weather/ epileptic electricity supply, which sometimes makes a whole month subscription wasteful without the subscriber watching anything before the expiration.
According to him, Nigerians are demanding that, rather than paying fixed rates for packages monthly, pay-tv service providers should introduce a subscription model which allows subscribers to pay per view to enable them to match their TV consumption to subscription, as is the case with electricity metering and mobile telephony.
The lawmaker explained that the pay-per-view that Nigerian subscribers are demanding is a flexible model plan of subscription which allows subscribers of pay-tv to pay-per-watch, to avoid paying for services that they do not consume.
Adopting the motion, the Senate urged the Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy and the Nigerian Communications Commission to direct all pay-tv providers to introduce a pay-per-view model of subscription as against the monthly prepaid model presently in place.
The Senate also directed all pay-tv service providers in Nigeria to immediately review their bouquet prices downwards in tandem with the prevailing reality of the economic situation in the country.
It also resolved to set up an ad hoc committee to embark on the full-scale investigation of the pricing activities of DStv in Nigeria to bring it in line with international practices.
Efforts previously made by the House of Representatives to ensure the introduction of pay-per-view by DStv and other cable services had failed.
The House had set up and mandated the panel on March 17, 2020, to investigate DSTV and other cable television service providers in Nigeria.
The House had, again on June 2, passed another resolution, mandating the panel to invite DSTV to explain its tariff increment on June 1.
Broadcasting
Pheelz Shares His Journey on Glo-Sponsored African Voices

Nigerian singer, songwriter and producer Pheelz (Phillips Kayode Moses) is set to feature this weekend on African Voices Changemakers, the flagship magazine programme on CNN International.

The 30-minute episode, sponsored by digital solutions company Globacom, premieres on Saturday, February 21, 2026. In a candid sit-down with host Larry Madowo, Pheelz opens up about his journey from church musician to global hitmaker, reflecting on the intersections of faith, fame and the expanding influence of Afrobeats on the world stage.
Now 31, Pheelz began his musical path as a multi-instrumentalist in church before earning widespread acclaim in 2012 as the producer behind the hit tracks “First of All” and “Fucking with the Devil” on Olamide’s YBNL album. His rapid rise saw him named among NotJustOk’s Top 10 Hottest Producers in Nigeria in 2013.
He further solidified his reputation by producing nearly every track on Olamide’s Baddest Guy Ever Liveth, earning nominations at The Headies 2013 and in the Producer of the Year category at both The Headies 2014 and the Nigeria Entertainment Awards. In 2020, he clinched The Headies Producer of the Year award, and in 2021 secured the Soundcity MVP Award for Best Collaboration for “Finesse,” his smash hit with Bnxn (formerly Buju).
On the programme, Pheelz reflects on the experiences that shaped his sound and creative philosophy, discusses landmark collaborations, shares his perspective on artificial intelligence and artistry, and explains why sound, storytelling and culture remain central to African music’s global resonance.
The show airs on DSTV Channel 401 at 8:30 a.m. (WAT) on Saturday, with repeat broadcasts at 12:00 noon the same day; Sunday at 4:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.; Monday at 4:00 a.m. and 6:45 p.m.; and Tuesday at 6:45 p.m. The broadcast schedule continues through Monday of the following week.
Broadcasting
Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation Bolsters Nigeria’s Education Drive with ₦2.7m Student Support

Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation has reinforced government’s educational development efforts in Nigeria through a targeted initiative honouring the late medical doctor and House of Representatives member, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh.

L-R: Son of the late Dr, Cairo Ojougboh, Mr. Nkem Ojougboh; Chairperson, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation, Mrs. Bose Ojougboh and another son, Mr. Orieka Ojougboh, during the event in Agbor, Delta State recently.
The foundation recently hosted a programme themed “Your Future, Your Choice” at St. Columba’s Grammar School in Agbor, headquarters of Ika South Local Government Area, Delta State.
It presented a cheque of ₦2,700,000 to cover examination fees for students preparing for West African Examinations Council (WAEC), National Examinations Council (NECO), and Junior Secondary School (JSS) 3 exams.
Academic excellence received further boosts with cash rewards for top students across the school’s nine academic arms, alongside distributions of notebooks and writing materials to enhance learning.
Chairperson Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, joined by her sons Mr. Nkem and Mr. Orieka Ojougboh, urged students to view challenges as stepping stones, embrace discipline, consistency, and focus, and make intentional choices shaping their futures.
“The school that moulded Dr. Cairo’s values deserves our support,” she said, highlighting the foundation’s commitment to inspiring hard work and personal growth.
Old Boys of St. Columba’s Grammar School, led by Elder Ndudi Agholor, attended in force, sharing nostalgic reflections and praising the school’s sustained high standards under current leadership.
School Principal Rev. Fr. Joseph Ugboh and Ika South LGA Chairman Engr. Jerry Ehiwarior lauded the initiative as “commendable and impactful,” calling for its continuation to preserve Dr. Ojougboh’s legacy of discipline, excellence, and service.
They noted the support had motivated students to pursue their goals with renewed determination, ending the event on a hopeful note.
Broadcasting
New Horizons Nigeria Breaks Ground: First to Fuse Mandarin into ICT Curriculum

In a landmark educational innovation, New Horizons Nigeria has become the first institution to integrate the Chinese (Mandarin) language into its ICT curricular as an elective, thereby positioning Nigerian students for relevance in the rapidly changing world order.

Mr. Tim Akano, Managing Director and CEO of New Horizons Systems Solutions Limited
New Horizons Nigeria is a leading ICT training and solutions provider committed to provide individuals and institutions with future-ready skills. Through innovative program, global partnerships, and strategic foresight, the organization continues to redefine education, workforce development, and global competitiveness.
With over 80% of global consumer products manufactured in China and China’s growing dominance in global supply chains and labour markets, New Horizons Nigeria recognizes the urgent need for the current generation to understand, speak, and engage with the Chinese language and culture. As global economic power dynamics evolve, the labour market is increasingly tilting towards China, making Mandarin proficiency a critical competitive advantage.
According to Mr. Tim Akano, Managing Director and CEO of New Horizons Systems Solutions Limited, Nigeria, the program represents far more than a language course.
He asserted that very soon, the global labour market is likely to increasingly reflect China’s influence rather than the predominantly western orientation it currently exhibits. Language will be a major differentiator and the first Chinese-speaking technology experts in Nigeria will have a significant advantage, especially in integration into Chinese companies operating locally and globally.
Therefore, New Horizons Nigeria has officially launched a Mandarin Scholarship Program with China Advancement Opportunity, selecting 100 outstanding students from five prominent Nigerian secondary schools. This initiative marks a major milestone in Nigeria–China educational cooperation and reflects a forward-thinking response to shifting global economic realities.
Furthermore, the scholarship program has commenced with an intensive three-month online Mandarin training and at the end of the program, the top-performing students will be selected strictly on merit. 20 outstanding students will receive an additional scholarship valued at $2,500 per students to participate in a one-year pre-degree Mandarin and cultural immersion program in China. From this group, the best candidates will progress to fully funded admission scholarships into top universities in China. This initiative is designed not only to build language proficiency but also to enhance global competence, international exposure, and cultural intelligence among Nigerian students.
Also, to maintain international academic standards, participating schools are required to comply with strict guidelines. They will be obligated to join the online classes ten minutes earlier, they must have a minimum of 85% attendance throughout the program, and must ensure they have a stable internet connectivity, reliable power supply and a conducive learning environment.
Therefore, School owners and administrators have been formally congratulated and strongly encouraged to nominate their most disciplined, and committed students, as advancement to the China program will be strictly merit-based.
However, apart from students, internation business men are equally encouraged to attend New Horizon’s Mandarin executive lessons which will equip them with basic Chinese language to enhance their business communications.
Additionally, while the pilot phase begins with selected secondary schools which includes Startrite School, Lightway School, British Nigerian Academy School, Honeyland Schools and Great Heights School, the Mandarin program will be available as an elective ICT course at all New Horizons retail centers.
This is done to extend access to students and learners beyond its partner schools and within one year, committed learners will be able to communicate effectively in Mandarin, which will open doors to global employment, trade, and cultural exchange.
In conclusion, a Mandarin Cultural Fiesta will be hosted, bringing together educators, students, institutional partners, and distinguished guests from China and Nigeria. The event will celebrate outstanding performance, cross-cultural exchange, and the strengthening of bilateral educational ties.
For enquiries and participation details, interested individuals are encouraged to contact New Horizons Nigeria via 08125541750
General News2 days agoHow JustMarkets Is Empowering African Traders with Global Market Access
Telecom3 days agoBanks, Telcos Settle Four-Year Dispute over N300Bn USSD Debt
E-Financial2 days agoACAMB Educates Content Creator to Curb Misinformation on Bank Recapitalisation
Telecom2 days agoGroup Condemns Gabon’s Social Media Shutdown Amid Protests
General News3 days agoPalmPay Unveils First Batch of Winners in #LoveWithPalmPay Campaign
E-Business2 days agoMutual Benefits Assurance Settles ₦5.9bn Claims in January 2026
E-Financial3 days agoFirstCap MD says Payment Security Remains Biggest Barrier to Bankable Gas and Power Projects
Telecom2 days agoIXPN Positions as the Regional Internet Exchange Hub for West Africa















