Connect with us

News

Shittu, MTN Foundation Receive Accolades Over N10m Heart Surgery

Published

on

Mr. Adebayo Shittu, minister of Communications
Kindly share this post

Barrister Adebayo Shittu, minister of Communications, and a philanthropic organization, the MTN Foundation have been commended by the Abdullateef Family for the recommendation and subsequent treatment of their baby girl, Mutmainat Abdullateef who had a hole in her heart  in an Indian hospital.

Footing the $21,566 (NI0.6 million) surgery bill  to correct Mutmainat’s congenital heart condition at  Apollo Hospital, India, the MTN Foundation acknowledged and appreciated the minister for referring the baby’ case to assist her parents helplessness.

In a letter informing the minister of the successful treatment of Mutmainat, the Foundation said, “We are pleased to inform you that following successful surgery and recuperation in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in Apollo Hospital, India, baby Mutmainat Abdullateef, who your office referred with congenital heart condition, has returned to Nigeria”.

The Special Assistant (Media) to the minister, Victor Oluwadamilare said despite the higher risk of performing the surgery (between 10 and 20 percent chance of surviving), the Foundation informed the minister of its ability to “save a life and contribute to the process of restoring the health of baby Mutmainat”.

Mutmainat’s father, Abubkar Abdullateef in an appreciation letter had commended the MTN Foundation for the timely intervention in the treatment of the girl.

“Sponsoring of such a very expensive surgical operation by MTN Foundation at this time of recession in the country, is an indication that the company is indeed out to assist the less privileged in the country”, he said.

Sometimes last year, the Abdullateef Family of Agoro Ogunmola Compound in Kishi, Oyo State in a hapless situation of inability to foot the medical bill of their daughter had approached Barr. Shittu to intervene over the health challenge.

The Minister thus used his good offices to refer the family to the MTN Foundation and recommended assistance, to which the Foundation acceded and eventually foot the bill for travel, treatment and logistics for the patient and her mother in India.

 

 


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

News

ABoICT Lecture 2026 to Focus on Impact of AI, IoT on Business Operational Efficiency

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Board and management of Communication Week Media Limited, publishers of Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, at the weekend announced that this year’s Africa’s Beacon of ICT Merit and Leadership lecture will focus on Impact of AI and IoT on business operational efficiency.

ABoICT Lecture 2026 to Focus on Impact of AI, IoT on Business Operational Efficiency

Africa’s Beacon of ICT Merit and Leadership lecture, widely regarded as the most prestigious annual event available in the ICT industry in Nigeria is in its 17th year.

The lecture holds on May 30, 2026 at Oriental Hotel Lekki, Lagos, according Ken Nwogbo, editor-in-chief of
Nigeria CommunicationsWeek the organizers of the event.

He said that this year’s event “is digital transformation edition” to recognise and celebrate organizations and individuals in the ICT industry that have impacted in digital transformation of the economy.

“Most of these organizations and individuals have consistently being voted by our readers as leaders in their areas of operations and we have decided to reward them in this special edition, tag: ‘Digital Transformation Edition 2026’ he said,”.

He added that, Digital transformation, driven by AI and IoT, will fundamentally boosts business operational efficiency by automating complex tasks, enabling real-time data analysis, and reducing costs.

“IoT technology optimizes resources, predict maintenance needs, and enhance decision- making, allowing companies to streamline workflows and improve productivity across sectors like manufacturing and logistics.

“It is an emerging technology that has impacted lifestyles and has changed the way we think and act, and the way we interact with each other.

It has also changed the way we work as it enables very large-scale monitoring, control, and automation, and has impacted the digital transformation of organizations in different industries”, he said.

According to him, “the transformative power of Artificial Intelligence exists as a bringing force in organizational communication. AI tools perform repetitive jobs, deliver simultaneous translations, and register team communication patterns, which lead to better understanding of group interactions. AI chatbots help manage customer support inquiries thus enabling staff members to dedicate their efforts toward complex work activities”.

The Africa’s Beacon of ICT Merit and Leadership Distinguished (ABoICT Lecture 2026) is designed to explore efforts to put Nigeria on the global Information and Communications Technologies map.

The lecture series however is reserved for distinguished achievers in the ICT sector.

Past lecturers included Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, then executive vice chairman, Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC); Uche Orji, managing director/chief executive officer, Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA); Biodu Omoniyi, Managing Director/CEO, VDT Communications; Ayotunde Coker, former Managing Director, Rack Centre Limited; Prof. Adewale Obadare, chief visionary officer, Digital Encode; Dr. Oluseyi Akindeinde, founder,
Hyperspace & NeuraL AI and John Obaro, CEO and founder of Systemspecs; Prof. Isa Pantanmi, former minister of Communications and Digital Economy; among others.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

News

AI-Driven Memory Chip Fuels Global Phone Price Surge

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Global technology markets are entering a new phase of strain as surging memory chip prices intensify the ongoing semiconductor shortage. For Nigeria, the ripple effects could translate into a 15 – 20 per cent increase in phone price levels if supply pressures persist into the next quarter.

While attention has largely focused on advanced AI processors, the sharpest escalation is occurring in memory chips, specifically DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory) and NAND (Flash Memory), which are essential to smartphones, PCs, and vehicles.

According to Bloomberg data, spot prices for DRAM have surged more than 600 percent in recent months. NAND prices have also climbed as artificial intelligence infrastructure expands global storage demand.

This shift reflects a structural realignment rather than a short-term disruption.

Massive AI infrastructure investments led by hyperscalers such as Amazon have redirected fabrication capacity toward high-bandwidth memory (HBM), a critical component for AI accelerators. This shift has tightened supply for conventional memory used in consumer devices.

Market analysts now describe the situation as a memory “supercycle,” breaking the industry’s traditional boom-and-bust pattern. Historically, memory cycles lasted three to four years. According to Jian Shi Cortesi of GAM Investment Management, the current cycle has already exceeded previous ones “both in length and magnitude,” with little evidence of demand momentum softening.

Financial markets reflect the divide. A Bloomberg gauge of global consumer electronics makers has fallen roughly 10 per cent since late September, while a basket of memory manufacturers has surged about 160 per cent over the same period. Shares of SK Hynix, a key high-bandwidth memory supplier to Nvidia, have climbed more than 150 per cent.

By contrast, downstream manufacturers reliant on affordable memory supplies are under pressure. Nintendo has warned of margin compression linked to shortages. Qualcomm shares declined after signaling memory constraints that could limit phone production. PC makers such as Lenovo and Dell have also retreated from recent peaks amid concerns that rising chip costs could dampen demand.

The divergence underscores a widening gap between component producers and device assemblers.

Memory is central to modern smartphone performance. Higher DRAM and NAND capacities power AI-enabled features, high-resolution imaging, and multitasking capabilities. Rising memory costs, therefore, feed directly into the bill of materials.

Even in a moderate demand environment, a constrained memory supply can limit production volumes. Qualcomm’s recent indication that memory shortages may restrict handset output highlights the risk of scarcity extending beyond price increases into availability challenges.

Compounding the issue, a foundry such as TSMC is prioritising higher-margin AI-related contracts at advanced nodes. Combined with the reallocation of capacity toward high-bandwidth memory, this limits flexibility in supplying traditional mobile processors and storage components.

For Nigeria, the likely outcome is not immediate widespread stockouts, but gradual upward revisions in retail pricing.

Nigeria’s electronics market remains heavily import-dependent, with minimal semiconductor manufacturing capacity. Retailers are therefore exposed to global cost shifts and supply volatility.

Distributors in major commercial hubs such as Lagos’ Computer Village are closely monitoring global trends. Some are securing inventory ahead of anticipated adjustments, while others are maintaining leaner procurement cycles to manage uncertainty.

Duration risk remains a key concern. Fidelity International’s Vivian Pai recently observed that while markets may be pricing in normalization within one to two quarters, industry tightness could persist through the rest of the year. If that proves accurate, manufacturers will have limited room to absorb higher component costs without passing them through to consumers.

Mid-tier smartphones, especially those balancing affordability with competitive performance, are likely to face the greatest pressure. Manufacturers may respond by offering lower base storage variants, delaying feature upgrades, or raising prices incrementally across product lines.

Parallel imports could increase if global scarcity intensifies, potentially raising concerns about warranty coverage and after-sales support.

Globally, firms are attempting to mitigate exposure by locking in long-term supply contracts, raising product prices, or redesigning devices to use less memory. However, semiconductor fabrication is capital-intensive and slow to scale. New fabrication plants require years to build, and expanding high-bandwidth memory output involves complex processes that cannot be rapidly accelerated.

For Nigeria, the episode underscores the importance of strengthening digital resilience. While domestic chip fabrication remains unlikely in the near term, expanding local device assembly, promoting repair ecosystems, and supporting component recycling could help cushion future supply shocks.

If projections hold, Nigerian buyers may begin seeing incremental price adjustments within weeks. Mid-range Android devices are likely to record the most noticeable changes, while premium models, already positioned at higher price points, may see more measured increases.

As it stands, AI’s explosive growth is reshaping semiconductor allocation patterns, and memory, once viewed as a product with prices that rise and fall in cycles, is behaving like a sustained constraint.

The widening gap between stock market winners and losers reflects the magnitude of this transition. As AI infrastructure spending accelerates globally, consumer electronics markets, including Nigeria’s, must adjust to a new cost environment.

Whether the squeeze proves temporary or evolves into a prolonged recalibration will depend on how quickly semiconductor capacity expands. For now, the trajectory suggests continued upward pressure on global electronics pricing, and Nigeria’s phone price expectations may have to adjust accordingly.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

News

INTERPOL Arrests 651, Recovers $4.3m from Cybercrime in Nigeria, Others

Published

on

Kindly share this post

African law enforcement agencies arrested 651 suspects and recovered over $4.3 million in a joint operation targeting investment fraud, mobile money scams, and fake loan applications.

INTERPOL Arrests 651, Recovers $4.3m from Cybercrime in Nigeria, Others

As INTERPOL revealed on Wednesday, Operation Red Card 2.0 identified 1,247 victims between December 8 and January 30 while targeting cybercrime operations linked to over $45 million in financial losses.

Authorities across 16 countries also seized 2,341 devices and took down 1,442 malicious websites, domains, and servers during this joint action coordinated by the African Joint Operation against Cybercrime (AFJOC).

In Nigeria, police officers dismantled an investment fraud ring that was recruiting young people to run phishing, identity theft, and fake investment schemes, taking down over 1,000 fraudulent social media accounts in the process.

They also arrested six members of a Nigerian cybercrime gang that used stolen employee credentials to breach a major telecom provider.

Kenyan investigators also apprehended 27 suspects while investigating fraud networks that used social media and messaging platforms to lure victims into fake investment schemes.

In Côte d’Ivoire, 58 suspects were arrested as part of a crackdown on predatory mobile loan apps that targeted victims with hidden fees and abusive debt-collection practices.

“These organized cybercriminal syndicates inflict devastating financial and psychological harm on individuals, businesses and entire communities with their false promises,” said Neal Jetton, the head of INTERPOL’s Cybercrime Directorate.

“Operation Red Card highlights the importance of collaboration when combatting transnational cybercrime. I encourage all victims of cybercrime to reach out to law enforcement for help.”

One year ago, African law enforcement arrested another 306 suspects in the first stage of this INTERPOL-led operation targeting cross-border cybercriminal networks.

This is the latest INTERPOL operation targeting African cybercrime, with thousands of arrests and multiple multimillion-dollar operations disrupted or dismantled in recent years, following Operation Serengeti and Operation Africa Cyber Surge.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending