Telecom
Tyson Fury vs Wilder, EndSARS, Tiwa Savage sextape, others Top Google Search in October

Nigerians trooped to Google to search for a number of trending stories across the country. Some of these stories caught the interests of many thereby making them to top Google search trend for the month of October.

The emergence of a sextape involving one of Nigeria’s favorite pop stars, a boxing bout considered one of the biggest of the year, and a protest to honor those who died during the EndSARS protests of 2020, were some of the trending topics.
Taiwo Kola-Ogunlade, Communications and PR Manager, Google West Africa, in a statement released on Friday, said that “earlier this month, pop star Tiwa Savage announced she was being blackmailed over a sex tape which was mistakenly uploaded online.
“The news caught the attention of her fans in Nigeria and across the world. When the video was later leaked online it sparked conversation both online and offline.
“The conclusion of the much-anticipated boxing bout between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder piqued the interest of Nigerian sports fans.
“Boxing match reviews and images of Wilder taking beatings and being slammed into the ropes by Fury filled the Internet, prompting fans to search for more.
“The 5th of October was World Teachers’ Day, and Nigerian teachers celebrated like the rest of the world. Hundreds of teachers from around the federation gathered in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, for a commemorative celebration. The Federal Government of Nigeria announced plans to pay teachers higher salaries effective January 2022, along with other promised benefits.”
Kola-Ogunlade also said that the first anniversary of EndSARS protest piqued interest of most Nigerians which made them to troop to Google for information.
“On October 20, one year after a series of huge protests against police brutality in Nigeria, an EndSARS memorial protest was held. In honor of the victims of last year’s shooting, Nigerian youth and celebrities drove through the Lekki toll gate in Lagos in a memorial automobile procession. Folarin Falana, aka Falz, and Debo Adebayo, aka Mr. Macaroni spearheaded the march.
“Other interesting searches by Nigerians in the month of October were the releases of hit songs Alcohol and Levels by Joe Boy and Flavour respectively. ‘Nmandi Kanu Biafra’, was also a top searched term by Nigerians who were interested in the ongoing trial of the pro-Biafra political activist and the adjournment of his court case until November 10 by the Federal High Court in Abuja”.
Below is the full list of the top trending search topics that captured the interest of Nigerians in the month of October:
TOP TRENDING SEARCHES BY NIGERIANS IN OCTOBER 2021 |
|
Telecom
WASPAN Drags Bello, FCCPB Boss to Court over Alleged Disobedience of Order

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria (WASPAN) has dragged Tunji Bello, executive vice chairman, Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), before the Federal High Court in Lagos over alleged disobedience of a subsisting court order in a legal dispute involving telecom-based lending services.

Tunji Bello, EVC, FCCPC
Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria initiated this in Suit No: FHC/L/CS/760/2026 pending before the court.
According to court documents, Bello was issued a Form 49 Notice to Show Cause, directing him to appear before the court on 22 May 2026 to explain why an order of committal should not be made against him for allegedly failing to comply with interim orders issued by Justice Ambrose Lewis-Allagoa on 15 April 2026.
The court had earlier granted interim injunctions restraining the FCCPC, its officers, agents and privies from enforcing provisions of the Digital, Electronic, Online or Non-Traditional Consumer Lending Regulations 2025 against members of WASPAN, pending the determination of the substantive suit.
The restraining orders specifically barred the commission from interfering with services rendered by WASPAN members, including airtime lending, data advances and other mobile value-added services.
The orders also restrained the FCCPC from imposing sanctions, penalties or directives connected to the disputed regulations.
In the Form 49 notice dated 18 May 2026, WASPAN alleged that despite being aware of the court orders and having been served with Form 48 — the statutory notice warning against disobedience of court orders — the FCCPC and its Executive Vice Chairman allegedly continued actions contrary to the directives of the court.
The notice stated that the alleged contemnor refused to comply with the orders and had continued to deliberately defy the orders of the court.
An affidavit of service filed before the court disclosed that Form 48 was served on Bello at the FCCPC headquarters located at 23 Jimmy Carter Street, Asokoro, Abuja, on 6 May 2026.
The latest development followed earlier proceedings in which Justice Lewis-Allagoa declined an application by the FCCPC seeking to vacate the interim injunction.
The court instead directed that the substantive suit and the commission’s preliminary objection be heard together.
WASPAN is challenging the FCCPC’s authority to regulate telecom-based lending services, arguing that certain provisions of the DEON Regulations encroach on the statutory powers of the Nigerian Communications Commission to regulate telecommunications services in the country.
Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria, is the primary self-regulatory body and trade association for licensed Value-Added Service (VAS) providers and aggregators in Nigeria’s telecommunications sector
Telecom
Lagos Warns against Fake Emergency Calls, Says Rising Misuse Put Lives at Risk

Lagos State government has raised alarm over the growing misuse of its emergency hotlines, and warned that fake calls are delaying response times and putting lives at risk.

According to the state, fake emergency calls or prank calls, account for a massive majority of distress communications—nearly 70 per cent.
This severe misuse dangerously delays response times for real emergencies like fires, crimes, and medical crises, and wastes critical first-responder resources
Olugbenga Oyerinde, commissioner for Special Duties, called the numbers (nearly seven out of every 10 calls made to Lagos emergency hotlines) deeply troubling.
The scale of the disruption has significantly affected emergency response operations, with the government disclosing that 5.47 million incoming calls went unanswered during the period under review.
The abandoned call rate climbed sharply from 9.3 per cent in January 2025 to 37.6 per cent by April 2026, suggesting worsening pressure on operators handling emergency traffic.
Officials warned that if the current trend continues, more than 7.2 million calls could go unanswered before the end of 2026
The Lagos State Command and Control Centre serves as the central coordination hub for emergency response agencies across the state, including the fire service, ambulance services, traffic management authorities and neighbourhood safety operatives.
According to the report, the sheer volume of fake and misdirected calls has forced the system to devote significant operational resources to filtering non-emergency traffic before genuine distress cases can be handled.
To address the growing burden, the ministry said it plans to introduce artificial intelligence-driven call screening technology designed to detect and filter nuisance calls before they reach human operators.
The proposed system, expected to be introduced before the end of 2026, is projected to reduce operator handling time by 35 per cent.
Other reforms outlined in the ministry’s strategic response plan include expanding agent capacity by 40 per cent, deploying automated callback systems for abandoned calls and establishing a real-time analytics dashboard for emergency response monitoring.
Yet one of the most striking figures in the report was not the 16.39 million nuisance calls, but the fact that only 39 calls were officially categorised as hoax calls requiring legal follow-up during the same period.
Telecom
Google, Blackstone Invest in AI Cloud Venture to Meet Data Centre Demand

Google and Blackstone (BX.N), said they will form an artificial intelligence cloud business venture aimed at capitalising on an insatiable demand for AI computing services.

Blackstone, the world’s largest alternative asset manager, will invest an initial $5 billion in equity to help bring 500 megawatts of data centre capacity online in 2027, with further expansion planned over time.
The U.S.-based venture will provide data centre capacity along with Google’s custom AI chips, known as Tensor Processing Units, or TPUs, through a compute-as-a-service model.
The total investment value could reach $25 billion, including leverage, according to Bloomberg News.
Both companies did not immediately respond to a request for comments on the Bloomberg report. Blackstone has appointed Benjamin Sloss, a long-time Google executive, as CEO of the new venture.
Thomas Kurian, chief executive of Google Cloud, said the venture would help address growing demand for TPUs by offering organisations additional ways to access computing capacity.
Analysts and investors have said Google is taking a sizeable share of new AI-driven computing demand, supported by its business tools and custom chips that have attracted customers such as Anthropic.
“This isn’t the biggest headline number we’ve seen. But it’s a high-quality bet on sustainable growth in AI infrastructure,” said Brittain Ladd, AI and supply chain consultant at Florida-based Chang Robotics.
Blackstone has stepped up investments in AI-related infrastructure, including data centres, power generation and transmission assets.
Those investments are valuable as the AI boom pushes operators to secure long-term energy supply deals.
The new partnership reflects rising demand for AI infrastructure and the need for large-scale capital deployment, Blackstone President Jon Gray said.
General News3 days agoXenophobic Attacks: Anonymous Nigeria Threatens to Leak South African Stolen Data
Telecom3 days agoMTN Targets 8m Homes in Fibre Expansion Drive
E-Financial2 days agoFG Says All Taxable Nigerian Must Obtain Taxpayer ID
E-Financial3 days agoChapel Hill Denham Says Banks Lose N2.5 Trillion Annually to High CRR in New Report
E-Financial3 days agoLagos Sanctions 15 Money Lending Firms for Operational Violations
E-Financial3 days agoAfDB Approves $200m for BoI to Support MSMEs
Telecom3 days agoGBB Says Cross-border Partnerships Key to Africa’s Digital Transformation
News3 days agoWHO Says Ebola Outbreak Worse than Reported

















