Telecom
Court Bars FG from Freezing MTN Bank Accounts

A Federal High Court in Lagos yesterday turned down an application of mareva injunction seeking to bar MTN Nigeria Communications Limited from emptying its accounts in 21 commercial banks in Nigeria.
The application had been filed to prevent MTN from boycotting the payment of the N1.04tn fine imposed on it by the Nigerian Communications Commission for its failure to deactivate its unregistered subscribers.
Abubakar Malami (SAN), attorney general of the Federation and minister of Justice, who filed the application on Tuesday, had expressed the fear that MTN could move all its funds out of the country before the N1.04tn fine could be enforced.
He had sought an order directing all the 21 banks to open a special interest-yielding account in the name of the Chief Registrar of the Federal High Court and move N1.04tn out of whatever funds that was standing to MTN’s credit in their possession.
Mr. Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), counsel for the AGF, in a 14-paragraph affidavit deposed to by his junior, Steve Nwabueze, had argued that MTN was in the habit of regularly repatriating its funds out of Nigeria.
He noted that between October 2007 and May 2009, a period of 19 months, MTN moved over $7.7bn of the money made in Nigeria to a foreign account.
He further pointed the court’s attention to an instance when in one day, specifically on February 8, 2008, MTN transferred over $936m out of Nigeria to accounts in Mauritius, Cayman Island and British Virgin Island.
“Unless this honourable court urgently entertains this application, the plaintiff/respondent would move its funds out of Nigeria, being the jurisdiction of this honourable court, and thereby frustrate the enforcement of the fine in the likely event that this honourable court sanctions the imposition of the fine,” the AGF’s counsel added.
Okpeseyi maintained that MTN was under an obligation to pay the N1.04tn fine, because it was NCC’s administrative decision, which remained final unless it was reviewed by the commission or nullified by the court.
He said though NCC had earlier given MTN a concession on the fine and reduced it to N780bn, but since MTN had neglected or failed to pay on or before December 31, 2015, the fine remained N1.04tn.
He alleged that instead of taking advantage of the concession MTN resorted to filing a suit in order to buy time, with the hope that it could move all its funds out of Nigeria before the case would be decided.
Okpseyi urged the court to grant the application in the interest of justice to prevent the court’s decision from being rendered nugatory if it went in the favour of NCC and AGF.
But Justice Idris Mohammed turned down the application as he said the AGF had not shown enough facts to prove that MTN was about to empty its bank accounts and move its funds out of the country.
Idris, who noted that the case was sensitive and of public interest, said he would rather urgently hear the case filed by MTN to challenge the fine and give a judgment within a short time.
He, however, made an order for the parties to maintain status quo ante bellum pending the determination of the suit and adjourned till January 22, 2016 for hearing.
MTN had assembled seven Senior Advocates of Nigeria, led by Chief Wole Olanipekun, to challenge the N1.04tn fine imposed on it by NCC.
The company contended that NCC could not act pursuant to Section 70 of its establishment Act to impose the fine on it.
But Malami, who took sides with the NCC and justified the imposed fine, said it was his duty, as the chief law enforcement officer in the country, to ensure that all the laws made by the National Assembly are obeyed.
Telecom
NCC Orders Telcos Inform Subscribers of Data Breach within 48 Hours

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has directed telecom operators in the country to notify affected customers of any data breach within 48 hours ( that is two day) of detecting such unauthorised infringement.

This directive was contained in the revised Internet Code of Practice 2026 by the NCC, on Friday.
The document seeks to define the rights and obligations of telecom operators in handing the rights of internet users to an open internet.
In the move to protect customer information, Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are to take necessary measures to protect customers’ data from unauthorised use, disclosure, access or breach.
Telecom operators must now notify affected customers within 48 hours of detecting a compromise through text message, email or any other effective means. As contained in Chapter 3.4 of the regulation titled “Data Breach Notifications,”
The telecoms companies are also directed to notify the NCC of such a breach not later than 48 hours after determining such a breach.
“Where full details of the breach are not immediately available, the provider shall issue a preliminary notification within the same period and furnish a comprehensive update within Fourteen (14) days thereafter, or within such extended period as the Commission may approve,” part of the section reads.
The guidelines, according to NCC, are in tandem with the provisions contained in the Nigerian Data Protection Act 2023 and Part VI of Schedule 1 of the Consumer Code of Practice Regulations 2024.
The regulation also joins other agencies’ policies, ensuring protection. Agencies such as the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) and the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) protect consumers against misuse of personal data, identity theft, financial loss, and reputation damage.
The review comes at a time when privacy becomes core amid frequent breaches and illegal harvest of data such as biometric, national IDs, financial information, traffic and usage, and others.
Regulations are necessary for the proper handling, consent, and regulatory compliance regarding sensitive data, ensuring it is only processed for legitimate purposes.
Under Chapter 3.5, the Internet Code of Practice 2026 addressed the handling of harvesting of transactional data by notifying and getting approval from the NCC of any usage by a third party. It noted that the NCC approval will be defined by a review and assessment of such access and “its potential effects on national considerations, consumer information and personal data.”
Telecom
Globacom Promotes Valentine Gifting with Huge Discounts on Smartphones

Globacom has announced a Valentine Smartphone promotion, which provides incredible savings on a variety of high-end smartphones from top manufacturers including Tecno, Samsung, and Infinix.

Starting on February 9, the promotion provides substantial price reductions on a number of Samsung models, including the Galaxy Z Fold 7, Galaxy A07, Galaxy A56 5G, Galaxy A36 5G, and Galaxy A26 5G. Customers who buy any of the phones will also receive a complimentary travel pouch and charger, as well as up to 18GB of extra data for six months, only available on the Glo network.
Along with other Infinix models, Tecno devices are also offered at attractive discounts, giving customers a large range of smartphones to fit a variety of tastes and price ranges.
The goal of the Glo Valentine promotion is to provide customers with the best possible deals on carefully chosen smartphones that are renowned for their cutting-edge technology, stylish designs, and dependable performance. The offer, which includes alternatives to suit a range of budgets and lifestyles, reaffirms Globacom’s dedication to customer happiness, digital adoption, greater data usage, and client centricity.
The company revealed that the promotion aligned with customers’ expectations during celebratory seasons, when demand is highest for quality smartphones at affordable prices. The company added that its partnership with trusted global and regional brands such as Samsung, Infinix, and Tecno ensures that customers enjoy premium features without compromising on value.
“The Valentine season is about connection, and what better way to stay connected than with a smartphone that fits your needs and aspirations,” the company stated. “This promo gives our customers the chance to get their dream smartphones at some of the best prices of the year, along with generous data bonuses to keep them connected,” the company disclosed.
Customers are encouraged to visit Gloworld outlets nationwide to take advantage of the Valentine Smartphone Promo while stocks last.
Telecom
GBB Expands Broadband to 13 Underserved Communities In 2025

Galaxy Backbone Limited (GBB) has recorded a significant milestone in Nigeria’s digital transformation journey by advancing broadband connectivity to 13 underserved institutions and communities nationwide in 2025, reinforcing its position as the nation’s digital backbone and a trusted partner in national development.

Guided by its mandate to enable a digitally inclusive Nigeria, GBB deliberately extended connectivity to locations within reach of its infrastructure footprint, particularly institutions with strong potential for productive use but limited readiness for immediate commercial engagement. Through this effort, the organisation continues to unlock opportunity, stimulate innovation, and support sustainable growth across critical sectors of the economy.
The expansion reached three Federal Universities, two Local Government Areas, and eight Federal Secretariats, strengthening digital capabilities in education and public administration while enhancing service delivery across the country.
GBB also extended reliable broadband connectivity to strategic and cultural landmarks such as the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, underscoring its commitment to supporting national infrastructure that drives economic activity, mobility, and global connectivity.
These deployments highlight Galaxy Backbone’s resolve to bridge the digital divide and empower institutions that shape Nigeria’s future. They demonstrate the measurable national impact of GBB’s infrastructure investments and reflect the tangible progress of the Integrated Digital Transformation Strategy (IDTS), further solidifying the organisation’s role as the platform upon which government institutions and communities can confidently build their digital future.
More importantly, the milestone illustrates that GBB’s work extends beyond technology by enabling education, improving governance, supporting economic participation, and connecting citizens to opportunity.
The initiative aligns with the Federal Government’s broadband penetration objectives and complements national programmes such as Project 774 – Universities’ Hostel Connectivity, ensuring coordinated, scalable, and sustainable impact across the country. Commenting on the achievement, Galaxy Backbone noted that every new connection brings Nigeria closer to a more inclusive digital economy while reinforcing the infrastructure required for innovation and national competitiveness.
As implementation continues, GBB remains committed to expanding access, pushing boundaries, and delivering on the promise of a fully digital nation, with further updates expected as additional phases of the deployment progress.
Galaxy Backbone Limited is the Federal Government’s digital infrastructure and shared services provider, dedicated to delivering secure, reliable, and scalable ICT solutions that support efficient governance, innovation, and sustainable national development.
E-Financial2 days agoNAICOM Targets Resilient, Global Competition Market in Insurance Sector Consolidation
News2 days agoNITDA Explores Partnership with Trust Stamp on Digital Trust and Innovation
Telecom2 days agoNCC Orders Telcos Inform Subscribers of Data Breach within 48 Hours
E-Financial2 days agoIGP Designates Banks National Security Asset, Orders Crackdown on Cyber Frauds
E-Financial2 days agoRashidat Adebisi Unveils Strategic Roadmap for Nigeria’s Insurance Sector under NIIRA 2025
General News2 days agoCybersecurity Firm Warns Against Gift Card Scams @ Saint Valentine’s Day
Telecom2 days agoMTN Backs Bosun Tijani’s Vision for Africa’s AI Leadership
Telecom2 days agoGlobacom Promotes Valentine Gifting with Huge Discounts on Smartphones









