Connect with us

Telecom

MNP Clocks 3, Now Records 601 Average Daily Porting- ICN

Published

on

(L-r): Miss Uche Agbamuche manager, Legal/Regulatory; Jude Chukwuma, chief technical officer; ‎Oladele Ayanbadejo, managing director and Miss Ada Mba, technical engineer, Number Porting operations, all staff of the Interconnect Clearinghouse Nigeria Limited, during a press briefing on MNP third anniversary, held at the Corporate office in Lagos on Thursday.
Kindly share this post

The Mobile Number Portability (MNP) launched by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) on April, 2013, has been recording increase on the number of subscribers migrating from one network operator to another.

MNP is a service that enables a subscriber to retain their mobile phone number when changing from one mobile service provider to another.

While launching the Service, NCC had hinted on the benefit which gives a subscriber opportunity to switch between services providers without having to go through the trouble of informing their friends, family and colleagues of a new contact number as the number stays the same.

Statistics by the Interconnect Clearinghouse ‎Nigeria Limited (ICN), on Thursday, shows that network subscribers are actually leveraging MNP to their advantage with an average of 601 daily Porting in the period, January and March 2016.

Speaking to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Mr. Oladele Ayanbadejo, managing director of ICN, acknowledged that 601 is the highest average number ‎daily ports they have recorded.

Other data ICN shared ‎show that in 2014 and 2015, during the same period, the average daily ports were 315 and 479 respectively, while the average daily ports in the year 2013 was 228.

Ayanbadejo‎ told Nigeria CommunicationsWeek that ICN expects average daily completed ports for 2016 will definitely surpass any figures they have ever recorded.

So Far…
Speaking on the third anniversary, the MD said, “I would like to start by highly commending the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), for the introduction of number portability into the Nigerian telecommunications industry. The benefits of the incentive are far reaching.

“First of all, it placed Nigeria at par with the highly industrialized and advanced economies of the world where telecoms consumers have been able to port for decades.

“Secondly, it mitigates monopoly of market share by any of the Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) as a subscriber is free to switch provider at will. The Mobile Number Portability scheme also minimizes anti-competitive practices by the MNOs and creates a level playing field.

Mobile Number Portability is also of immense benefit to the Mobile Network Operator’s as a new entrant Network Operator will find it easier to acquire subscribers. This is because the migration process to a new service provider has been completely simplified”.

He added that existing network operators also benefit from the scheme as it gives them the opportunity to increase their market share, while maximizing the number range allocated to them.

“In addition, mobile number portability is cost effective for Organisations. Corporate communication has become cheaper and easier. Official mobile numbers can be ported to one network and enjoy the benefit of cheaper ‘on net rates'”.

Re-Emphasizing The Purpose of MNP
The ICN Boss described the scheme as designed to meet the needs of all consumers and it is available to both pre-paid and post-paid mobile customers.

“Interconnect Clearinghouse Nigeria Limited (ICN) is a wholly Nigerian Owned Company, and it is remarkable that the Nigerian Communications Commission selected and licensed ICN and our technical partners’ iconectiv and Saab Grintek as the successful bidders to implement the number portability project.

“We have recorded tremendous growth since the inception of the scheme and we would like to offer our profound thanks and gratitude to the NCC for the opportunity given to us to contribute positively to the industry,” he said.

MNOs’ Participation
According to the MD, the ongoing support and regulatory guidance given to them by the Commission cannot be over emphasized, adding that mobile network operators (MNOs’) currently participating in the number porting live production environment have also played a huge role in contributing to the successful implementation of the scheme.

“MTN, Airtel, Etisalat and Globacom have exhibited the highest level of professionalism and fair play. This has led to a steady increase in the porting figures.

The Statistics Tell The Story
“There has been a steady increase in number porting since its inception in April 2013. In the period of January 2016 to March 2016 we recorded an average of 601 daily ports. This is the highest average number daily ports we have ever recorded.

Statistics On Average Porting Process Since Inception
In 2014 and 2015 during the same period, ICN said they recorded average daily ports of 315 and 479 respectively.

“The average daily completed ports in the year 2013 was 228. The average daily completed ports in the year 2014 was 405, while in 2015, we recorded 592 average daily complete ports. The average daily completed ports for 2016 will definitely surpass any figures we have ever recorded”.

The increase in the number of successful ports can be attributed to the NCC who have diligently ensured that the mobile number portability participants strictly adhere to the laid down Number Portability Business Rules and Porting Orders.

Down Review Of 90 Days Porting Restriction Window
He said that NCC has also taken certain proactive steps which have improved the porting experience.

This includes reducing the port restriction time. The port restriction time was reduced to 45 days from the initial 90 days.

“This reduction in the number of days a subscriber can stay on a mobile network, before having the liberty to move to another network led to an average daily increase of about 35 to 45 completed ports.

“In addition, the NCC modified the Number Porting Business Rules, to place a porting restriction on newly registered numbers.

“All newly registered numbers, are restricted from porting for seven days after registration. This has helped to curtail the activities of mischief makers”, he said.

While thanking the technical partners, Ayanbadejo‎, said that iconectiv and Saab Grintek displayed unique set of specialized skills and immeasurable expertise that they brought to the implementation of the scheme.

 

 

 
 

 


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

NCC Begins Review of Nigeria Telecoms Policy after 26 Years

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has commenced a review of Nigeria’s 26-year-old telecommunications policy, saying the current framework no longer reflects the realities of the country’s fast-changing digital economy.

NCC  Begins Review of Nigeria Telecoms Policy after 26 Years

Aminu Maida, EVC, NCC

Speaking  at the national telecommunications policy review workshop in Lagos, Hadiza Usman, special adviser to the president on policy and coordination, said the review had become necessary because Nigeria’s economy, technology ecosystem, and security environment had changed significantly since the national telecommunications policy was introduced in 2000.

“A policy that was fit for purpose in the year 2000 cannot simply be assumed to remain adequate in 2026,” Usman said.

She said telecommunications had evolved beyond voice connectivity and now supports financial technology, digital commerce, education, healthcare, agriculture, innovation, public service delivery, and national security operations.

“Telecommunications is no longer a standalone sector. It is an enabling platform for almost every other sector of national life,” she said.

Usman warned that outdated or poorly coordinated policies weaken implementation, discourage investment, create institutional overlaps, and reduce measurable national impact.

According to her, the revised framework must address broadband penetration, affordability of digital access, quality of service, infrastructure resilience, consumer protection, and inclusion of underserved communities.

“The revised policy must not become another document that sits on shelves. It must become a working instrument,” she said.

The presidential aide also identified fibre cuts, vandalism, multiple taxation, delayed approvals, right-of-way bottlenecks, insecurity, and energy constraints as major obstacles slowing telecommunications infrastructure expansion across the country.

She said resolving the challenges would require coordinated action among federal institutions, state governments, local authorities, regulators, operators, investors, and infrastructure providers.

Earlier, Aminu Maida, executive vice-chairman (EVC) of the NCC, said the telecommunications industry had outgrown the assumptions behind the national telecommunications policy 2000.

Maida said the policy was introduced at a time when Nigeria’s focus was on liberalisation, competition, increased access, and private sector participation in telecommunications services.

According to the EVC, the industry has since evolved into a broader digital ecosystem supporting banking, commerce, education, cloud services, entertainment, digital identity systems, and government operations.

“This is no longer a narrow telecommunications conversation. It is no longer just one sector within the economy; it is a productivity infrastructure for the entire economy,” he said.

Maida added that emerging technologies such as 5G, artificial intelligence, satellite broadband, cloud infrastructure, Internet of Things (IoT), and cybersecurity regulation have further transformed the sector.

He said the review process would also address structural issues including rural connectivity gaps, multiple taxation, vandalism, high energy costs, fibre cuts, and delays in obtaining permits.

“The commission aims to develop a modern policy framework capable of supporting innovation, protecting consumers, improving quality of experience, strengthening investment, and advancing Nigeria’s digital economy ambitions,” Maida said.

The EVC said the workshop was organised to assess implementation of the existing policy, identify gaps, engage stakeholders, and develop recommendations for a new national telecommunications policy 2026.

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

MTN to Turn its African Tower Network Into a Distributed AI Compute Grid

Published

on

Kindly share this post

MTN Group plans to convert its African tower estate into a distributed AI compute fabric, installing open GPU infrastructure at base-station sites so that the same hardware can run both the cellular network and edge AI inference workloads.

MTN to Turn its African Tower Network Into a Distributed AI Compute Grid

The plan was set out by Charles Molapisi, group chief technology and information officer, MTN, at an event hosted by law firm Bowmans in Johannesburg recently— the company’s most detailed explanation yet of how it intends to position itself as the infrastructure layer of Africa’s AI economy.

Every cellular tower today has a baseband unit at its base — single-purpose hardware that exists only to drive the radio access network.

Molapisi said MTN will replace these with open GPU configurations capable of running the radio plus AI inference, in what the company has described as a “distributed AI grid.”

A key pay-off, he argued, is latency. AI workloads that today must be hauled back to a central data centre could instead be processed at or near the tower.

He gave the example of children playing PlayStation on an estate served by a nearby tower: with edge compute installed, the workload could be served locally rather than backhauled to a distant data centre and returned, freeing capacity and cutting round-trip time.

The edge layer sits alongside the centralized half of MTN’s AI infrastructure plan.

The group confirmed in its 2025 financial results in March that it will build two new AI-enabled data centres — one in South Africa and one in Nigeria.

Molapisi described an MTN AI strategy spanning a relatively full stack — procuring silicon, building data centres, running its own cloud platforms, curating models and co-developing applications with partners. The company is also building terrestrial fibre across multiple African markets, including some where it has no GSM licence, to plug what Molapisi called the continent’s missing “rails.”

The investments sit inside MTN’s Ambition 2030 strategy, which reorganized the group around three platforms: connectivity, fintech and digital infrastructure. The tower-to-inference push is the most concrete articulation yet of a thesis MTN has been laying out for more than a year — including an investment in March in U.S. AI-native networking start-up ORAN Development Company alongside NVIDIA, Cisco, Nokia, AT&T and Telecom Italia.

At the time, Mazen Mroué, CEO, Digital Infrastructure CEO, framed the move around “sovereign AI” — the principle that African countries should host AI compute locally rather than relying on offshore infrastructure.

Molapisi said MTN is developing the edge AI grid alongside technology partners, with the ambition for MTN to become “the biggest distributor of edge inference in the continent.”

The strategic case rests on Molapisi’s wider argument that Africa risks repeating its commodity history in the AI era.

With about 1% of global computing power on the continent today, he said, Africa stands to “export raw data” the way it has long exported raw minerals — only to import the intelligence built from it at a premium.

Molapisi conceded that chip generations are turning over quickly enough — NVIDIA’s Hopper to Blackwell inside two years, for example — that procurement decisions made today can be obsolete by deployment. He said MTN is being deliberate about its chip mix and the balance between training and inference silicon, “because if you get that wrong, you’ll get the economics terribly wrong.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Meta Cuts 8,000 Jobs in Major Shift Toward Artificial Intelligence

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Meta Platforms has laid off about 8,000 employees as part of a sweeping restructuring aimed at transforming the tech giant into an artificial intelligence-focused company.

Meta Cuts 8,000 Jobs in Major Shift Toward Artificial Intelligence

Mark Zuckerberg

The layoffs, which account for nearly 10 per cent of Meta’s global workforce, affected employees across Asia, Europe, and the United States, with staff reportedly receiving termination notices via email.

The company also reassigned about 7,000 workers to new AI-related projects as part of its broader organisational overhaul under Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg.

Zuckerberg has consistently described artificial intelligence as the most important technology shaping Meta’s future and has pushed aggressively to position the company at the forefront of the global AI race.

According to reports, the restructuring has generated anxiety among employees, with concerns growing over job security and the increasing deployment of AI systems within Meta’s operations and training processes.

Some workers were also said to have questioned internal data collection practices linked to AI development, while petitions reportedly circulated within company offices calling for greater transparency regarding employee data usage.

Despite the layoffs, Meta is significantly increasing investment in artificial intelligence infrastructure, research, and product development.

The company plans to spend more than 100 billion dollars this year on AI-related initiatives as competition intensifies among global technology firms.

Zuckerberg defended the restructuring, saying companies that lead in artificial intelligence would shape the next generation of digital services and technology innovation.

He acknowledged concerns among employees but maintained that the transition was necessary to ensure Meta’s long-term competitiveness.

Affected workers are expected to receive severance packages including several months of salary and additional compensation based on their years of service.

Industry analysts say the development reflects a broader trend in the technology sector, where companies are reducing traditional roles while expanding investments in artificial intelligence, automation, and advanced computing systems.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending