Telecom
NITEL Was Evil; I’m Glad it Died – El-Rufai

Nasir El-Rufai, governor of Kaduna State has told of how some top Nigerian officials and a cabal within the former Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL) never wanted the liberalisation of the telecom sector because they were benefitting from the corruption and the stagnation of the sector.
NatCom Development & Investment Ltd (NatCom) has since acquired the core telecom assets previously owned by NiTel/MTel (Nigeria’s national fixed and mobile operators), in a guided liquidation process and is now trading under a new brand name ‘ntel’.
El-Rufai, who spoke Tuesday at the Nigerian Day in the ongoing International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Telecom World 2016 in Bangkok, Thailand, said insistence of the Bureau for Public Enterprises (BPE) and the visionary leadership of former President Olusegun Obasanjo got Nigeria’s telecom sector out of the hand of the cabal who was bent on wrecking it.
Daily Trust reported el-Rufai as saying that “But NITEL was an evil company and I am glad it died, because NITEL had taken $7bn of Nigeria’s resources to give it just 400,000 lines. It is the most expensive phone network in the whole planet. I believe that NITEL was an evil company and had to be dismantled somehow but I didn’t know how to go about it then”, the governor said.
He revealed that one of the reasons a former minister of communications Haruna Elewi was sacked by Obasanjo was because of his refusal to cooperate on the issue of telecom liberalisation.
He said: “The minister of communications was asked to announce the increase in tariff, he refused. BPE had to announce the increase in tariff which was one of the reasons President Obasanjo removed him immediately. He just refused, disobeying the President.”
Governor El-Rufai said in a very desperate move to get the telecoms industry out of NITEL cabal, administration of the then President Obasanjo went out his way to beg Vodaphone to roll out its network in Nigeria just for one dollar in addition to five years tax holiday.
But Vodaphone wrote back to say it was not interested, according to El-Rufai.
“And we went and made a very nice PowerPoint presentation and offered to Vodaphone a nationwide GSM license for just one dollar, one dollar. We said just come pay one dollar, deploy your network and get five years tax holiday. Just to show that we can have another network in addition to NITEL and MTEL. And Vodaphone listened, they took our presentation and they said they would get back to us within two weeks. After the three weeks, Vodaphone got back to us through a very nice letter to the President saying they declined our invitation because from the data available to them the size of the Nigeria’s GSM market was 5m subscribers in three years”, he said.
In the past some former chief executives, union members and retirees of NITEL, the failed national carrier, asked the federal government to hold el-Rufai, also former director general of Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) responsible for the misfortunes of Nitel.
They said that the appointment of Pentascope, a little known Dutch company, to take over Nitel’s management in 2000 by the BPE, under el-Rufai’s watch was the cause of the death of the national carrier.
Telecom
WASPAN Drags Bello, FCCPB Boss to Court over Alleged Disobedience of Order

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria (WASPAN) has dragged Tunji Bello, executive vice chairman, Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), before the Federal High Court in Lagos over alleged disobedience of a subsisting court order in a legal dispute involving telecom-based lending services.

Tunji Bello, EVC, FCCPC
Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria initiated this in Suit No: FHC/L/CS/760/2026 pending before the court.
According to court documents, Bello was issued a Form 49 Notice to Show Cause, directing him to appear before the court on 22 May 2026 to explain why an order of committal should not be made against him for allegedly failing to comply with interim orders issued by Justice Ambrose Lewis-Allagoa on 15 April 2026.
The court had earlier granted interim injunctions restraining the FCCPC, its officers, agents and privies from enforcing provisions of the Digital, Electronic, Online or Non-Traditional Consumer Lending Regulations 2025 against members of WASPAN, pending the determination of the substantive suit.
The restraining orders specifically barred the commission from interfering with services rendered by WASPAN members, including airtime lending, data advances and other mobile value-added services.
The orders also restrained the FCCPC from imposing sanctions, penalties or directives connected to the disputed regulations.
In the Form 49 notice dated 18 May 2026, WASPAN alleged that despite being aware of the court orders and having been served with Form 48 — the statutory notice warning against disobedience of court orders — the FCCPC and its Executive Vice Chairman allegedly continued actions contrary to the directives of the court.
The notice stated that the alleged contemnor refused to comply with the orders and had continued to deliberately defy the orders of the court.
An affidavit of service filed before the court disclosed that Form 48 was served on Bello at the FCCPC headquarters located at 23 Jimmy Carter Street, Asokoro, Abuja, on 6 May 2026.
The latest development followed earlier proceedings in which Justice Lewis-Allagoa declined an application by the FCCPC seeking to vacate the interim injunction.
The court instead directed that the substantive suit and the commission’s preliminary objection be heard together.
WASPAN is challenging the FCCPC’s authority to regulate telecom-based lending services, arguing that certain provisions of the DEON Regulations encroach on the statutory powers of the Nigerian Communications Commission to regulate telecommunications services in the country.
Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria, is the primary self-regulatory body and trade association for licensed Value-Added Service (VAS) providers and aggregators in Nigeria’s telecommunications sector
Telecom
Lagos Warns against Fake Emergency Calls, Says Rising Misuse Put Lives at Risk

Lagos State government has raised alarm over the growing misuse of its emergency hotlines, and warned that fake calls are delaying response times and putting lives at risk.

According to the state, fake emergency calls or prank calls, account for a massive majority of distress communications—nearly 70 per cent.
This severe misuse dangerously delays response times for real emergencies like fires, crimes, and medical crises, and wastes critical first-responder resources
Olugbenga Oyerinde, commissioner for Special Duties, called the numbers (nearly seven out of every 10 calls made to Lagos emergency hotlines) deeply troubling.
The scale of the disruption has significantly affected emergency response operations, with the government disclosing that 5.47 million incoming calls went unanswered during the period under review.
The abandoned call rate climbed sharply from 9.3 per cent in January 2025 to 37.6 per cent by April 2026, suggesting worsening pressure on operators handling emergency traffic.
Officials warned that if the current trend continues, more than 7.2 million calls could go unanswered before the end of 2026
The Lagos State Command and Control Centre serves as the central coordination hub for emergency response agencies across the state, including the fire service, ambulance services, traffic management authorities and neighbourhood safety operatives.
According to the report, the sheer volume of fake and misdirected calls has forced the system to devote significant operational resources to filtering non-emergency traffic before genuine distress cases can be handled.
To address the growing burden, the ministry said it plans to introduce artificial intelligence-driven call screening technology designed to detect and filter nuisance calls before they reach human operators.
The proposed system, expected to be introduced before the end of 2026, is projected to reduce operator handling time by 35 per cent.
Other reforms outlined in the ministry’s strategic response plan include expanding agent capacity by 40 per cent, deploying automated callback systems for abandoned calls and establishing a real-time analytics dashboard for emergency response monitoring.
Yet one of the most striking figures in the report was not the 16.39 million nuisance calls, but the fact that only 39 calls were officially categorised as hoax calls requiring legal follow-up during the same period.
Telecom
Google, Blackstone Invest in AI Cloud Venture to Meet Data Centre Demand

Google and Blackstone (BX.N), said they will form an artificial intelligence cloud business venture aimed at capitalising on an insatiable demand for AI computing services.

Blackstone, the world’s largest alternative asset manager, will invest an initial $5 billion in equity to help bring 500 megawatts of data centre capacity online in 2027, with further expansion planned over time.
The U.S.-based venture will provide data centre capacity along with Google’s custom AI chips, known as Tensor Processing Units, or TPUs, through a compute-as-a-service model.
The total investment value could reach $25 billion, including leverage, according to Bloomberg News.
Both companies did not immediately respond to a request for comments on the Bloomberg report. Blackstone has appointed Benjamin Sloss, a long-time Google executive, as CEO of the new venture.
Thomas Kurian, chief executive of Google Cloud, said the venture would help address growing demand for TPUs by offering organisations additional ways to access computing capacity.
Analysts and investors have said Google is taking a sizeable share of new AI-driven computing demand, supported by its business tools and custom chips that have attracted customers such as Anthropic.
“This isn’t the biggest headline number we’ve seen. But it’s a high-quality bet on sustainable growth in AI infrastructure,” said Brittain Ladd, AI and supply chain consultant at Florida-based Chang Robotics.
Blackstone has stepped up investments in AI-related infrastructure, including data centres, power generation and transmission assets.
Those investments are valuable as the AI boom pushes operators to secure long-term energy supply deals.
The new partnership reflects rising demand for AI infrastructure and the need for large-scale capital deployment, Blackstone President Jon Gray said.
General News2 days agoXenophobic Attacks: Anonymous Nigeria Threatens to Leak South African Stolen Data
Telecom2 days agoMTN Targets 8m Homes in Fibre Expansion Drive
E-Financial2 days agoChapel Hill Denham Says Banks Lose N2.5 Trillion Annually to High CRR in New Report
E-Financial2 days agoLagos Sanctions 15 Money Lending Firms for Operational Violations
Telecom2 days agoGBB Says Cross-border Partnerships Key to Africa’s Digital Transformation
E-Financial2 days agoAfDB Approves $200m for BoI to Support MSMEs
News2 days agoWHO Says Ebola Outbreak Worse than Reported
E-Financial2 days agoFirstBank, Visa Launch Multicurrency Signature, Naira Debit Cards













