Connect with us

Telecom

Firm Demands N2Bn from Etisalat Over Copyright Infringement

Published

on

Etisalat-logo.jpg
Kindly share this post

A mobile finance technology firm, V-Exchange Ltd has demanded for N2 billion from Etisalat as compensation for an alleged infringement on its product’s copyright.

V-Exchange which specializes in providing instant finance solutions to individuals and corporate entities via intelligent data driven platform claimed that the ‘Kwik Cash’ loan service which Etisalat offers to its customers was allegedly a stolen product.

Speaking at a media conference, co-founder of V-Exchange, Samuel Ajiboyede claimed that on November 23, 2016, he met with representatives of Etisalat regarding his company’s product and for the purposes of partnering with the same for mutual commercial benefits.

Ajiboyede stated that at the meeting, the loan service product was showcased to Etisalat officials who upon being impressed by the demonstration asked to be furnished with more details.

He also said he was advised by Etisalat officials to obtain the Nigerian Communications Commission, (NCC) Short Code being the only thing remaining for a deal to be sealed between the two entities.

Ajiboyede further stated that subsequently requested for a Memorandum of Understanding from Etisalat to enable his company acquire a Value Added Service (VAS) license to get the Short Code approval from NCC but that the request was never accented to.

The company co-founder said he was however shocked when it heard that Etisalat had gone ahead to launch the instant loan service without its approval.

Also speaking at the media briefing, Chief Executive Officer of the firm, Mrs Kemi Ayinde noted that well wishers had called to congratulate her on the successful launch of the product not knowing that her firm was not involved with the launch.

This publication sighted a letter written by the law firm of Ubani and Co to the Chief Executive Officer of Etisalat Nigeria dated January 10, 2017 demanding N2billion as compensation for the alleged copyright infringement.

The letter reads in part: ” Our client has tested your product on several customers of your company and confirmed that the said product was the exact product for which it has exclusive right

” that this abysmal unlawful conduct of your company as highlighted above has infringed our client’s products for which copyright subsisted despite the caveat by known owners being ‘our client’ that no part of this shall be reproduced or copied in any material form with its prior authorization.

”Moreover it is arguable that the product reproduced in writing by your company was exact replica of our client’s products which were earlier in time protected by the copyright law.

“In conclusion let it be stated that aside the civil action for infringement of our client’s copyright, we shall be constrained to simultaneously instigate and initiate a criminal action with its attendant legal consequences against your company for exploiting our client’s copyright as provided by the act.

“Therefore your company is hereby warned very sternly to refrain forthwith from further infringement of our client’s by itself or through its agents or privies and monetary restitution in the sums demanded above of its unlawful exploitation of our client’s products which copyright subsisted in order to mitigate the loss thus far.”

In its response to the demand for compensation, Etisalat via a letter dated February 21, 2017 acknowledge having had discussion with V-Exchange over its product but denied infringement of any patent belonging to the firm.

The letter signed by Vincent Eromosele, Etisalat Head, Legal Operations and Litigation and Chimeka Garricks, Manager, Legal Services claimed that ‘KwikCash’ is owned and operated by an undisclosed financial institution and that Etisalat followed due process in acquiring the right to use the product on its network.

Etisalat further claimed that KwikCash service was already in existence and operational prior to its meeting with V-Exchange.

The telecoms firm in the letter denied any infringement on V-Exchange’s purported patent and insisted it cannot pay compensation for infringement.


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

Terra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Olugbenga Agboola, Flutterwave CEO has joined a $22 million funding extension for Nigerian defensetech start-up Terra Industries as Africa’s fast-growing drone and security technology sector begins to attract capital far beyond traditional venture circles.

The round was led by Lux Capital, with participation from Agboola through Resilience17 Capital and returning investors including 8VC and Nova Global.

It follows an $11.75 million raise just weeks earlier, bringing Terra’s total funding to $34 million as the company accelerates expansion into high-risk security markets.

Terra, founded in 2024 by 24-year-old chief engineer Maxwell Maduka and CEO Nathan Nwachuku, builds autonomous drones and surveillance systems designed to protect critical infrastructure such as energy facilities, logistics corridors and industrial sites. The startup says it is already safeguarding assets worth billions of dollars while securing early federal and commercial contracts.

Agboola’s involvement highlights a broader shift in African tech investment patterns. While fintech has long dominated venture flows, escalating infrastructure sabotage and terrorism threats have elevated demand for locally developed security hardware.

“Nigeria’s drone ecosystem is rapidly evolving from hobbyist and mapping use cases toward industrial monitoring, border surveillance and energy protection, areas increasingly seen as foundational to economic stability.

“This is about backing infrastructure security at scale. Africa’s growth depends on resilient systems that protect critical assets,” said Agboola.

Terra CEO Nwachuku is adamant that locally engineered systems are better suited to African operating conditions. “We are building tools designed for the realities on the ground. Security technology should not always be imported when local innovation can respond faster and more effectively,” he stated.

Lux Capital partner Brandon Reeves underlined that the investor appetite, which has drawn fintech heavyweight interest such as Agboola, reflects rising cross-sector confidence in African defense technology as a commercial category. “Security is a prerequisite for economic growth,” he said.

“As Terra ramps production and expands regionally, its funding milestone illustrates a wider transformation. Drone and autonomous security platforms are no longer peripheral experiments but emerging pillars in Africa’s technology landscape, where fintech leaders and venture capital converge around safeguarding the infrastructure powering the continent’s next growth phase,” said Reeves

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Temu, the global e-commerce platform expanding in Nigeria, has officially addressed an inquiry from the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) over alleged data privacy violations, confirming its commitment to compliance with the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023.

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Temu

The company’s response follows NDPC’s investigation into Temu’s data processing practices.

In a statement to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Temu stressed its dedication to local and international data protection standards, noting ongoing communication with the regulator. “At Temu, protecting user privacy and data security is a top priority. We are committed to complying with applicable laws and regulations in our data practices,” the statement read.

Temu further affirmed: “We can confirm that Temu has received the inquiry and is engaging with the Commission. We will continue to engage in open and constructive dialogue with the NDPC to address any questions or concerns.”

Under Dr. Vincent Olatunji’s leadership, NDPC has ramped up scrutiny of foreign digital platforms to safeguard Nigerian citizens’ personal data—from contact details to financial information—ensuring transparent and secure handling. For e-commerce giants like Temu, managing vast consumer data volumes demands strict regulatory alignment to sustain operations and trust in Africa’s biggest economy.

Industry observers view Temu’s proactive stance as a savvy bid to ease tensions, mirroring Nigeria’s firm handling of platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and fintechs. This engagement underscores NDPC’s rising clout, compelling investors and foreign entrants to prioritise data compliance costs.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek sees Temu’s approach as a model for global retailers eyeing Nigeria’s booming digital retail sector through 2026.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Nigeria has Capacity for Real-Time Electronic Transmission – Telcos

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Engr. Gbenga Adebayo, chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), has said Nigeria possesses adequate telecom infrastructure to support real-time electronic transmission of election results.

Nigeria has capacity for Real-Time electronic transmission – Telcos

Telcos

Speaking on concerns raised about the country’s readiness, Adebayo insisted that any assessment of telecom coverage not issued by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) should be treated with caution.

“On what survey or data is the Senate basing its claim of inadequate telecom infrastructure?” he asked. “Currently, more than 70 percent of the country is covered by 3G and 4G networks. 5G coverage stands at about 11 percent, while the remaining areas are served by 2G.”

He added that even 2G networks are capable of supporting electronic transmission of results.

“I don’t know the source of the Senate’s information, but imposing a blanket ban on electronic transmission based on incomplete or inaccurate claims about infrastructure and investment is not justified,” he said.

Adebayo acknowledged that security challenges in about two states have made it risky for telecom operators to maintain facilities in certain locations.

However, he stressed that such issues could be addressed collectively by relevant stakeholders rather than concluding that the entire country is unprepared for electronic transmission.

His position aligns with that of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which in 2022 dismissed similar concerns.

INEC had explained that in areas with temporary network challenges, results uploaded to its iREV portal would automatically transmit once the devices entered locations with network coverage.

 

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending