Connect with us

General News

Will the Internet Shutdown Today?

Published

on

Doron Ben Sira, SkyVision CEO.
Kindly share this post

So Internet services are expected to go off today…well, that’s what the experts warned us about last week about an impending Malware that would take over PCs and other connected devices.
According to Microsoft’s safety and security centre, “Malware is short for ‘malicious software.’

Malware is any kind of unwanted software that is installed without your adequate consent. Viruses, worms, and Trojan horses are examples of malicious software that are often grouped together and referred to as malware.”

Microsoft noted that “cybercriminals sometimes try to trick you into downloading rogue (fake) security software that claims to protect you against malware. This rogue security software might ask you to pay for a fake product, install malware on your computer, or steal your personal information.”

The computer shutdown news has generated so much anxiety in the West (not so in Nigeria though as our lives depend less on computers and connected devices), with the American FBI (federal bureau of investigations) have already set up a special website to mitigate a possible shutdown.

The FBI notes that more than 277,000 computers are infected globally – a scale down from April’s 360,000. The United States alone is said to house about 64,000 of these ‘infected’ PCs. 

In Canada, the Internet registration authority claims some 25,000 PCs affected by the malware resides in the massive North American territory. But last week, it re-configured that figure to just 7,000 computers.

CIRA said it has harmonized strategies with the country’s public safety agency and the radio-television telecommunications commission, to develop an online site to enable citizens confirm if their systems were malware infected.

But this could also be another dimension of ongoing global cyber warfare that threatens the soul of the modern day man. Lately, the US and Israel have been linked with a number of cyber attacks against enemy infrastructure – specifically the Iranian nuke-facilities.

Last June, the Iranian authorities accused the US, Israel and Britain of strategizing on “an operation to launch a massive cyber attack against Iran’s facilities following the meeting between Iran and the P5+1 in Moscow.”

Reports link the latest malware threat supposedly began in 2011 when FBI agents attempted to stop hackers from taking control of some 570, 000 computers worldwide.

 The hackers had allegedly ran online ad campaign scam to take control of the PCs, and in an attempt to take down the spam sites, the FBI feared they could damage victims systems, so they let them be.

“In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net. They brought in a private company to install two clean Internet servers to take over for the malicious servers so that people would not suddenly lose their Internet.

“And while it was the first time they’d done something like that, FBI officials acknowledged that it may not be the last, since authorities are taking on more of these types of investigations.

The temporary Internet system they set up, however, will be shut down at 12:01 a.m. EDT Monday, July 9.”

Authorities claim in several instances, “most victims don’t even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their online surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.”

However, last week both Facebook and Google put up banners warning of the impending doom and advice on how to mitigate the effects of such occurrences.

FBI claims several ISPs are ready for the problem and have plans help their customers mitigate such an occurrence.

Some firms like Comcast have sent out notices and posted information on websites.

 With a prior knowledge of possible infection to a customer’s Internet server, Comcast sent an email, letter or Internet notice to customers whose computers appeared to be affected.

Global social media leaders, Facebook and Google sent warning messages that showed up if someone using either site appeared to have an infected computer. Facebook users would get a message that says: “Your computer or network might be infected,” with link users can click for further information.

Google users got a similar message, displayed at the top of a Google search results page. It also provides information on correcting the problem.

Meanwhile, Google denies claims its Android-based phones have been infected with a virus that causes the devices to send out spam en masse, according to BBC reports.

Terry Zink, Microsoft researcher claimed last week to have discovered evidence that Android phones have been infected to create a botnet, which generates huge amounts of spam from host devices.

Google said in a statement that there was no evidence to support the claim that Android devices sent the spam.

The company’s investigation suggested that spam messages originated from PCs but were formatted to look like they were sent from Android smartphones.

“Our analysis suggests that spammers are using infected computers and a fake mobile signature to try to bypass anti-spam mechanisms in the email platform they’re using,” the Google statement said.


Kindly share this post

Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

General News

Army Acquires New Drones to Boost Surveillance, Precision Strikes — COAS

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Army has acquired additional drones and other advanced force multipliers to strengthen surveillance operations, improve target acquisition, and enhance precision strike and casualty evacuation capabilities.

Army Acquires New Drones to Boost Surveillance, Precision Strikes — COAS

Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu, chief of Army Staff (COAS), said that the new drones will boost surveillance, precision strikes.

Shaibu, who disclosed this in a statement shared via the Nigerian Army’s official X handle, noted that the conference provided a platform for critical assessment of ongoing operations and the development of forward-looking strategies to address Nigeria’s evolving security challenges.

He said deliberations at the Nigerian Army Conference Centre, Asokoro, focused on sharpening operational responses, strengthening training frameworks and adapting to the demands of modern security warfare.

According to him, the resolutions reached are aimed at building a more agile, combat-ready, technologically driven and mission-oriented force capable of responding effectively to emerging threats.

A key highlight of the reforms is the Army’s increasing investment in modern warfare technology, including the acquisition of additional tactical drones and the reconfiguration of Army aviation assets for combat roles.

Shaibu explained that these developments have significantly enhanced intelligence gathering, precision targeting, operational mobility and casualty evacuation across various theatres of operation.

He also highlighted ongoing improvements in recruitment, advanced training, professional military education and leadership development, stressing that discipline, competence and meritocracy remain central to building a stronger institution.

Reaffirming his “soldier-first” philosophy, the COAS said troop welfare remains a top priority, stressing that “troop welfare remains non-negotiable; well-motivated soldiers operating in conducive environments are critical to mission success.”

He urged senior officers to ensure that resolutions from the conference are fully implemented in field operations, stressing that the true value of the gathering lies in measurable impact on the battlefield.

Describing the ongoing reforms, Shaibu said: “We are not just reforming the Army; we are building a lethal, technology-driven fighting force where only discipline, merit, and mission success matter.”

The Army Chief expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his support, as well as the Minister of Defence, Minister of State for Defence, Chief of Defence Staff, service chiefs and intelligence agencies for their continued collaboration.

The conference ended with the presentation of commendation plaques to senior officers recognized for outstanding contributions to operational effectiveness.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

UK Special Envoy for Freedom of Religion or Belief Concludes Visit to Nigeria

Published

on

Kindly share this post

The UK Special Envoy for Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB), David Smith MP, concluded a three-day visit to Abuja this week, marking Nigeria as the first focus country he has visited under the UK’s FoRB strategy.

During the visit, David Smith MP held a wide range of meetings with senior Nigerian government officials, religious leaders, civil society organisations, and local communities – reflecting the UK’s commitment to sustained, practical engagement and partnership on freedom of religion or belief in Nigeria.

Meetings included discussions with the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, the Honourable Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, and the Governor of Plateau State, Caleb Mutfwang.

The Special Envoy also met with the co-chairs of the Nigeria Inter-Religious Council, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, and HRH the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar III, President-General of the National Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.

At the end of the visit, the UK Special Envoy for Freedom of Religion or Belief, David Smith MP, said: “Over the past few days, I have been honoured to meet a wide range of people — from senior government figures and civil society to faith leaders and local communities. I came to listen, learn, and see both how freedom of religion or belief is experienced in everyday life, and how it connects to – and is a core part of addressing – Nigeria’s wider challenges around security and cohesion.

“Some of the most powerful moments of this visit were at community level. Visiting Father Emmanuel Unamba’s parish and meeting Christian and Muslim neighbours living side by side was a real reminder that peaceful coexistence is something people build every day through leadership, dialogue, and shared responsibility.

“What I take away from this visit is the importance of further progress being Nigerian led, rooted in strong institutions and inclusive dialogue, with FoRB at its heart. The UK will continue to support practical efforts in ensuring greater peace, security and prosperity for all.”

The visit also included a roundtable with partners of the UK’s Strengthening Peace and Resilience in Nigeria (SPRiNG) programme, a £38 million UK government-funded conflict and resilience programme operating primarily in Kaduna, Katsina, Benue and Plateau states.

During the visit, Special Envoy David Smith MP held meetings with the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution, the Nigerian National Human Rights Commission, and civil society organisations working at the intersection of insecurity and religious freedom. He also visited the National Mosque and the National Ecumenical Centre in Abuja.

Speaking to the various stakeholders, Mr Smith called for greater tolerance across religion or belief in Nigeria and hoped that the cohesion he saw on a community level in the capital, could be achieved nation-wide with the same resolve. He hoped to continue these dialogues with interlocutors in the UK.

The visit builds on the momentum of President Tinubu’s State Visit to the United Kingdom in March 2026, which reinforced the UK-Nigeria Strategic Partnership and included interfaith events attended by President Tinubu and His Majesty The King, underlining both countries’ shared commitment to fostering constructive interfaith dialogue.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

How PalmPay Empowered 2,000+ Women in Kano & Kaduna to Bank Smarter

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Women’s financial inclusion remains a critical challenge globally. According to Women’s World Banking, over one billion women lack access to formal financial services, limiting their potential for economic empowerment.

The reality is no different in Nigeria. The EFInA Access to Financial Services (A2F) 2023 survey highlights a significant gender disparity in Nigeria: 30% of adult women are completely excluded from both formal and informal financial services, compared to 21% of men. This means that out of Nigeria’s 57 million adult women, approximately 17 million remain financially isolated.

To bridge this gap, PalmPay has been actively investing in grassroots women’s empowerment by dismantling the knowledge barriers that hinder financial growth. Last year, the fintech platform took this mission directly to the commercial heart of Northern Nigeria: Sabon Gari Market in Kano and Central Market in Kaduna.

In these markets, thousands of women set up their stalls to deal in spices, textiles, grains, and consumer goods. They are the undeniable backbones of the economy, working around the clock to provide for their families.

While these female entrepreneurs possess immense business acumen, a staggering number have historically been left behind by the formal financial sector. For a market woman, being unbanked means trading entirely in cash. Without basic financial literacy or the right digital infrastructure, hard work alone isn’t enough to scale a business.

Recognising this gap, PalmPay stepped away from traditional banking boardrooms and went directly to the market. PalmPay launched a targeted financial inclusion and capacity-building initiative across Kano and Kaduna states. The core mission was straightforward: take the mystery out of digital banking and equip thousands of women entrepreneurs with the exact knowledge and tools required to thrive in a digital economy.

Backed by the royal endorsement of the Emir of Kano, Dr Muhammadu Sanusi II, the solution was delivered through:

  • PalmPay team members conducted hands-on financial literacy workshops right inside the markets, teaching women how to separate personal expenses from shop revenue, calculate true profit margins, and budget for inventory.
  • Women opened digital bank accounts on the spot and were equipped with reliable PalmPay POS terminals and mobile app tools.
  • Micro-business branding support, including storefront branding, transactional merchandise, and market umbrellas to shield them from the elements.

The true impact of this initiative is best seen through the eyes of the market women themselves. Consider the transformation of a typical trader in Sabon Gari Market who spent years operating strictly with cash-box accounting.

Before the intervention, she faced the constant anxiety of missing cash, unverified bank transfers, and untracked inventory purchases. Today, with a PalmPay POS terminal on her counter and instant payment notifications triggering seamlessly on her phone, the chaos has been replaced by complete financial control.

When you empower a market woman, you don’t just improve a single business; you stabilise an entire household and uplift a community. By transitioning over 2,000 women in Kano and Kaduna from the vulnerabilities of an all-cash system to the security of digital banking, PalmPay has helped convert everyday survival into scalable success.

As these newly banked entrepreneurs continue to master cash-flow management and leverage instant digital settlements, they are proving that with the right partner, grassroots commerce can become a powerful engine for national economic growth.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending