Telecom
FG Targets $6Bn Revenue from Blockchain Technology

National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) has said that Nigeria plans to generate over six billion dollars through blockchain technology by 2030.

Mr. Kashifu Inuwa, director-general, NITDA, said this at a stakeholders’ engagement for the review of the National Blockchain Adoption Strategy Framework in Abuja on Thursday.
Inuwa said that the blockchain was among emerging technologies that had contributed to the growth of economies globally, saying that Nigeria will not be left out.
“We see the need for us to position our country well so we can capture value from the blockchain.
“There is a recent publication by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), an international institution that indicated that in the next 10 years, blockchain is going to contribute 1.76 trillion dollars to the global Gross Domestic Development by 2030.
“We want Nigeria to be strategically placed to capture value from this economic potential of blockchain.
“Based on the PwC analysis, China is going to get the highest net worth potential from blockchain technology, because it is projected that by 2030, China will capture over 460 billion dollars.
“In Nigeria, looking at our youthful population, which is mainly digitally native and with our position in Africa, we are looking at how we can get at least around six to 10 billion dollars by the year 2030,” he said.
Inuwa said that the target was achievable because Nigeria’s payment and financial services were huge, while the country had been located as a hotspot for FinTech in Africa.
He added that blockchain technology could be achieved through provincial services, payment services, digital identity, customer engagement, contract and dispute resolution applications, among other strategies.
The director-general said that it was important for Nigeria to discover its competences and adopt the application that could generate income.
He also said that blockchain technology interfaced with the eight pillars of the National Digital Economy Strategy and Policy towards building a digital economy.
Inuwa called on stakeholders to fashion out flexible and implementable strategies for immediate execution that government can leverage on for job creation.
“We are looking at coming up with a strategy to help the country capture value from financial services,land administration, education and health care.
“Blockchain is going to play a key role in terms of creating, tracing products and services, ” he said.
Inuwa said that the COVID-19 pandemic had forced people and nations to devise secured ways of transacting businesses and that blockchain technology provided such an opportunity.
Dr Usman Gambo, director, IT Infrastructure Solutions, in his address, said the adoption of blockchain technology was in line with the policy of creating a digital economy for the benefit of citizens.
Gambo said the mechanism of blockchain was complex, but the benefit outweighs the challenges.
He said that the technology if adopted must be regulated to avoid abuse by Ponzi schemes and other malicious technology financial platforms.
The director said that stakeholders’ contributions would give the country directions on how to adopt the technology.
Mr Abdulsalam Umar, a Blockchain Expert, while reviewing the strategy document, said the benefits of the technology included reduced budgeting cost, ensuring security and globalisation.
Umar added that the technology could help create jobs and new business models in addition to ensuring transparency in governance.
He said that adopting it would require a legal framework to avoid potential risks and ensure that the country was operating a common global standard.
The expert added that the technology was beneficial because it could make huge contributions to the country’s Internally Generated Revenue.
Goodwill messages were delivered at the event by representatives of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Nigerian Inter-Bank Systems (NIBSS), among others.
Telecom
Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

Airtel Africa Plc has announced a strategic initiative in partnership with Barclays Capital Securities Limited to execute on-market share purchases totaling up to $110 million.

This initiative will be divided into non-discretionary and discretionary segments, marking a proactive step in optimizing the company’s capital structure and enhancing shareholder value.
In a statement released on the Nigerian Exchange and signed by Simon O’Hara, group company secretary, Airtel Africa described this share buyback program as a key component of its broader strategy to return cash to shareholders.
It noted that the program aims to repurchase up to one percent of the company’s issued share capital as of the date of this announcement.
“This decision by the Board reflects the organization’s strong financial position and its commitment to maintaining flexibility while continuing to invest for growth across its markets.
“The initial phase of the program will see Airtel Africa collaborating with Barclays Capital Securities to facilitate the purchase of its ordinary shares,” the statement noted.
According to Airtel Africa, the agreement features two key components operating concurrently: a non-discretionary segment allowing Barclays to purchase up to $60 million of ordinary shares independently of the company, and a discretionary segment where Airtel Africa can guide Barclays in purchasing an additional $50 million, adhering to the regulations set forth by the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) No 596/2014.
“The program is set to commence today and is expected to conclude by November 27, 2026, unless terminated earlier under the agreement’s terms. Airtel Africa has signaled that as the initiative progresses, further tranches may be announced to achieve its objective of repurchasing up to one percent of its issued share capital.
“The primary aim of this buyback program is to streamline the company’s capital. Accordingly, all shares purchased will be cancelled, contributing to a more efficient capital structure. Any transactions will be performed in alignment with pre-defined parameters outlined in the agreement with Barclays and comply with the authority granted by shareholders for share repurchases.”
At the annual general meeting on July 9, 2025, shareholders authorized the company to buy back a maximum of 366.073 million ordinary shares.
Following the previous buyback program, the remaining authority now stands at a maximum of 357.042 million ordinary shares, demonstrating ongoing support from shareholders for these initiatives.
Telecom
NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria’s telecom regulator has released draft rules for mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) as authorities seek to organize a market that is still at an early stage.

The NCC published the proposed “Business Rules for Mobile Virtual Network Operations in Nigeria” and opened a consultation process for industry stakeholders.
Comments can be submitted until June 29, while a public consultation is scheduled for July 9.
According to the NCC, the proposed rules define the obligations and responsibilities of both MVNOs and host network operators (HNOs).
The framework also sets conditions for licensing, compliance, interconnection, numbering resources, SIM and eSIM management, and network hosting agreements.
Regulators also seek to guarantee fair access to telecom infrastructure and reduce delays tied to the integration of MVNOs into existing mobile networks.
The text further includes provisions related to service quality, customer protection, network reliability, and data security.
Violations could lead to administrative sanctions or corrective measures under existing telecom laws.
Nigeria officially opened the MVNO market in 2023. That year, the NCC awarded licenses to 25 operators for a combined 5.9 billion naira, or about $4.3 million. Since then, around 40 licenses have been issued, with operators such as Vitel and Visafone already launching services.
Authorities see MVNOs as a way to improve competition in the telecom sector while helping extend services to underserved and unserved populations.
As of March 2026, Nigeria counted 185.7 million mobile subscribers and 153.8 million internet subscribers, according to NCC data.
Despite the size of the market, digital access remains uneven across the country.
Government estimates show that nearly 20 million Nigerians still remain outside the digital ecosystem.
The GSMA estimated that about 120 million Nigerians did not use mobile internet in 2023.
High service costs and inconsistent service quality also remain major concerns in the telecom sector.
Telecom
Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

An Australian federal court has upheld a fine against social media platform X over failures to comply with child internet safety regulations, bringing to an end a three-year legal dispute between the company and Australian authorities.

The case stemmed from a demand issued in February 2023 by Australia’s online safety regulator, the eSafety Commission, requesting detailed information on how the platform, then known as Twitter, was combating the spread of child sexual abuse material online.
Following the platform’s transition to X under billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, regulators accused the company of submitting incomplete responses to repeated requests for information.
A federal court had earlier ruled in October 2024 that X was legally obligated to comply fully with the notice issued by the regulator.
On Thursday, the court ordered the company to pay a fine of 650,000 Australian dollars (approximately 464,900 U.S. dollars).
Federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said the penalty was necessary to ensure compliance by large technology firms.
“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation, so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” he said.
Australia has emerged as one of the leading countries advocating stricter regulation of major technology platforms.
The country recently introduced world-first legislation aimed at banning children under the age of 16 from accessing certain social media platforms.
Countries including France, United Kingdom and Canada are reportedly considering similar measures following consultations with Australian authorities.
Reacting to the judgment, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said transparency remained essential in holding technology companies accountable.
“Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” she said.
“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.
Telecom2 days agoGoogle unveils Gemini-powered advertising, commerce tools at Marketing Live 2026
E-Financial2 days agoGriffin Capital Group Launches Integrated Financial Services Group Positioned to Strengthen Capital Formation in Nigeria, Africa
E-Financial2 days agoCBN to Simplify Bank Alerts over Rising Customer Complaints
E-Business2 days agoKaspersky Detected More than 92,000 Malware Attacks Disguised as AI Services in Four Months
Telecom2 days agoNigeria gets AI-ready Lagos data centre
Telecom2 days agoTelcos in Nigeria, other Emerging Markets Squeezed by Diesel Crisis
Telecom2 days agoipNX Seeks Coordinated Action on Fibre Deployment @ National Dig-Once Forum
General News2 days agoOtedola Plans $100m Investment in Dangote Refinery ahead of Proposed IPO


















