General News
Imo Wealth Project Now Commences June 29

The Leo Stan Ekeh Foundation (LSEF) has announced a change of date for the commencement of the training programme for the Imo Wealth Project, a job creation and empowerment initiative.

The programme, previously scheduled to commence on June 28, will now kick off on Wednesday, June 29, 2022 in order to accommodate the sit-at-home expected in Imo State and other parts of the South East, notably with Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) scheduled to appear in court in Abuja on Tuesday.
The Imo Wealth Project is sponsored by the Leo Stan Ekeh Foundation, a futuristic Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) which focuses on promotion of 21st century knowledge through quality education, practical entrepreneurship, healthy living and enhanced lifestyle.
The foundation plans to create over 10,000 employment opportunities for residents of Imo State, while also equipping entrepreneurs and other beneficiaries with useful knowledge and interest free loans to grow their businesses and improve their global competitiveness.
Among the target audience for the initiative are entrepreneurs, unemployed and underemployed graduates, as well as students in tertiary institutions across Imo State in their final year of studies. As part of the initiative, globally renowned tech companies like Microsoft, Meta (FaceBook), among others, are expected to certify the participating graduates who complete the programme.
Consequently, the three-day mandatory on-boarding training programme, from which successful candidates would be selected, will now take off Wednesday, June 29 and run till Friday, July 1, 2022 at the Imo State University Auditorium, Owerri, Imo State. The programme kicks off by 9am each day, while accreditation of attendees holds from 8am.
Chairman, Zinox Group, Leo Stan Ekeh, will personally open the conference each day with a 15 minutes’ inspirational session.

A prospective candidate is only expected to attend one of the daily training sessions for a chance to be selected. Interested candidates are advised to register on www.lsef.org to indicate their interest in participating. Registration and participation is free of charge for intending candidates.
Once successfully registered on the website – www.lsef.org, each candidate would be assigned a specific day on which to attend the training programme.
The training sessions will witness masterclasses from a carefully selected faculty of world class resource persons. Among other things, participants would be exposed to mentorship sessions, a finishing school class, knowledge empowerment and business success sessions.
Outstanding entrepreneurs who make the final cut stand a chance to gain access to interest-free loans to grow their business, while others will be exposed to employment opportunities in their areas of competencies.
The project seeks to create quality opportunities for the youths to reduce tension in each geo-political region in Nigeria, starting with Imo State in the South East.
The foundation has also partnered with tertiary institutions in the state which it has commenced equipping with best-in-class digital tools to re-train and certify qualified graduates, with plans to replicate this in a state in each geo-political region in Nigeria, if the Imo project is a success.
General News
MTN Targets 8m Homes in Fibre Expansion Drive

MTN Nigeria says it plans to pass fibre to eight million homes over the next three years as part of efforts to deepen broadband penetration and expand digital service offerings across the country.

Tobe Okigbo
Tobe Okigbo, Chief Corporate Services and Sustainability Officer, disclosed this at the MTN Media Innovation Programme (MIP) Alumni “Ask Me Anything” session held on Saturday.
Okigbo said the telecom company was making significant investments in home fibre infrastructure despite challenges such as regulatory approvals, physical deployment requirements and the long period needed to recover costs.
According to him, fibre broadband differs from mobile internet services because customers pay for connection speed rather than bandwidth consumption.
He said the investment formed part of MTN’s broader strategy to gradually shift customers from mobile-heavy internet usage to fixed broadband services for home connectivity.
Okigbo noted that the global telecommunications industry was evolving beyond traditional voice and data services, driven by advances in artificial intelligence, 5G, smart devices and internet-connected homes.
He warned that telecom operators that fail to adapt risk becoming mere providers of connectivity infrastructure while technology companies capture greater value from digital services.
“The future of telecoms is no longer just about expanding coverage. It is also about building services and platforms around network infrastructure to remain relevant and competitive,” he said.
On recent tariff increases, Okigbo said the adjustments were necessary to address rising operating costs, inflation and sector sustainability concerns.
He cited increased diesel prices and other operational expenses as major factors affecting the cost of delivering telecom services in Nigeria.
According to him, tariff pricing should increasingly reflect market realities and inflation trends, while allowing consumers to switch providers offering better value.
Speaking on service quality, Okigbo said MTN had compensated customers in cases of poor network performance and remained in discussions with regulators on accountability for service failures.
He explained that discussions were ongoing to distinguish between network issues caused directly by operators and those resulting from external factors such as vandalism, construction activities and infrastructure damage.
Okigbo said MTN supported compensating customers for genuine service lapses but sought clarity on regulatory parameters guiding such liabilities.
He added that fibre deployment remained more complex than mobile network expansion because it involved physical cable installation, local government approvals and detailed service planning.
On mobile money operations, Okigbo said MTN Group had acquired a 60 per cent stake in MoMo across its markets to strengthen competitiveness and improve customer experience.
He said the future of telecoms would also be shaped by embedded connectivity, smart homes, connected vehicles and broader Internet of Things adoption.
General News
World Bank Blocks Social Media Comments from Nigerians over Loan Backlash

World Bank has restricted comments on its Instagram page after thousands of Nigerians flooded the platform begging them to stop lending money to Nigeria.

The protest erupted after reports that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is seeking a fresh $1.25 billion dollar loan for approval on June 26.
Some Nigerians asked the World Bank to provide more details about the purpose of the loan and how the funds would be managed.
Others said the country should reduce dependence on foreign loans and focus on improving local revenue.
The federal government has continued to defend its borrowing plans.
Officials say the funds will support economic reforms, development projects and efforts to strengthen the economy.
Nigeria remains one of the major borrowers from the World Bank in Africa, with different administrations securing loans over the years for infrastructure, social programmes and economic support.
General News
Lagos Plans New Cybersecurity Centre

The Lagos State Government plans to establish a Cybersecurity Operations Centre to strengthen protection of government systems, digital services and citizen data amid rising cyber threats linked to the city’s expanding digital economy.

Tunbosun Alake, Lagos commissioner for innovation, science and technology, said the centre would help secure the infrastructure supporting online payments, e-government services, cloud platforms and technology-driven business operations across the state.
According to Alake, the facility will monitor, detect and respond to cyber threats targeting government networks, digital transactions and sensitive public data.
The move comes as Lagos accelerates its smart city agenda through investments in broadband infrastructure, digital identity systems and automated public services.
Alake said Lagos had already deployed 109 Data Protection Officers across Ministries, Departments and Agencies, which he described as the highest number among Nigerian states, to strengthen compliance with data protection regulations.
Alongside the proposed cybersecurity centre, the state also launched the Lagos Campus Network Upgrade project aimed at improving digital infrastructure within the public sector.
The upgrade is expected to improve network performance, automate internal government processes and enhance digital engagement with residents. The cybersecurity initiative follows the release of Lagos State’s cybersecurity guidelines in April.
The framework recommends measures including multi-factor authentication, vulnerability testing, encrypted backups and tighter endpoint security controls.
The guidelines align with Nigeria’s Cybercrime Act 2024, the Nigeria Data Protection Act 2023 and the National Cybersecurity Policy and Strategy 2021.
E-Business2 days agoJumia Nigeria Records Strong Q1 2026 Growth as Technology-Led Strategy Drives Market Expansion
Telecom2 days agoNigerians Lose N12.5bBn to Telecom-Related Financial Crimes – PwC
Telecom2 days agoNITDA, FMCIDE Deepen Collaboration on Nigeria’s Digital Transformation
General News2 days agoLG Electronics Strengthens Household Energy Efficiency in Nigeria with Advanced Inverter Refrigerator Solutions
General News2 days agoWorld Bank Blocks Social Media Comments from Nigerians over Loan Backlash
Telecom2 days agoNITDA Showcases Nigeria’s Startup Framework as Model for Angola
News2 days agoOnly 1 in 3 Families Fully Secure their Devices, Kaspersky Study Reveals
Telecom2 days agoUpperlink, ICANN, Others Rally Global Participation for UA Day 2026



















