Connect with us

E-Business

LinkedIn Mobile Apps Assist Jobseekers Apply For Positions Directly

Published

on

Kindly share this post

On Monday, LinkedIn released updated version for its iOS and Android apps that could allow job seekers apply for open jobs right from the mobile device.

LinkedIn had barely a month ago introduced the platform for users of its social network for the working world to search for jobs via its iOS and Android mobile apps.

Adding this feature comes as LinkedIn said “over 30 percent of members who view jobs” on the social network come from mobile devices.

Analysts believe the innovation portends that “applying for the jobs will grow time spent on the mobile app even further, offering the company an attractive metric that it can use to help grow its mobile ads revenues (also introduced recently) as well as the promise of better returns to those companies advertising jobs in the first place. It doesn’t look like today’s changes signal charging higher rates for placements, although this could also be on the cards”.

LinkedIn, developed the app due to several requests by users of the professional network.

Currently, users can only save a job that they spot on a mobile device and have to apply later for it on LinkedIn’s website. But how often will someone come back to that? It may be hours or days until they remember and then the position may be unavailable.

This new feature is the second one LinkedIn has made in an effort to bolster its mobile offering. Last month, it added the ability for users to easily search for jobs and included its “Jobs you may be interested in” algorithm.

Now it will let jobseekers seal the deal, so to speak: from today, users will start to be able to actually apply for those jobs via the apps as well, with the option of using their LinkedIn profiles as resume proxies.

LinkedIn said the service is rolling out globally, starting today with English-speaking members.

According to Vaibhav Goel, a mobile product manager, “The ability to apply without resumes is an interesting development for LinkedIn. One of the drawbacks of applying for jobs via mobile devices up to now had been the pain of uploading and editing resumes on a small screen.

“LinkedIn’s job application service does therefore does a couple of things. It has created a way for you to use the profile you already have on LinkedIn itself to effectively become your resume.

“And perhaps more importantly, it raises LinkedIn’s own profile as a repository of information about you: if you use LinkedIn for job searches, there is a chance you may end up now uploading more and richer information about yourself for that profile to become more usable as a resume in itself. LinkedIn is still offering businesses to link out to their own sites to complete job applications, but offering a service like this is one way of trying to get them to push more activity to LinkedIn’s platform.

“In a very short space of time, jobs have proven to be a popular feature of the mobile apps, which got a major upgrade in April. The existing jobs feature on the LinkedIn apps lets you browse both through search and by offering job recommendations, and those job searches already make up more than 30% of all of LinkedIn’s mobile traffic (coincidentally, the same proportion of traffic that LinkedIn gets from mobile overall), and “we’re seeing members who never view jobs on the desktop, viewing and saving jobs on mobile,” writes Goel.

Meanwhile, LinkedIn has seen steady growth of its talent solutions service, the part of the business that includes revenues from job-related services.

Last week in its Q2 earnings report the company said it made up 56% of its $364 million in revenue, up from 38% in 2010; meanwhile, other revenue categories (premium subscriptions and marketing solutions) have both shrunk in proportion.

Smartphones have increasingly played a role in how people are searching and applying for jobs. A study from February 2013 from comScore (via Washington Post) found that over 6 million people have used mobile devices in the U.S. to apply for jobs, more than double compared to the year before.


Kindly share this post

Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

E-Business

Jumia Nigeria Records Strong Q1 2026 Growth as Technology-Led Strategy Drives Market Expansion

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Jumia has announced strong first-quarter 2026 performance results, with Nigeria emerging as one of the company’s standout growth markets across Africa, reinforcing the country’s position as a critical driver of the company’s long-term expansion strategy.

According to the company’s Q1 2026 financial results released May 7th, 2026, Nigeria recorded a 42% year-on-year increase in physical goods Gross Merchandise Value (GMV), making it one of Jumia’s strongest-performing markets during the period.

Commenting on the performance, Temidayo Ojo, CEO of Jumia Nigeria, said, “Nigeria continues to demonstrate the strength and resilience of its digital commerce ecosystem. The growth we recorded in Q1 reflects increasing consumer confidence, stronger engagement across our platform, and our continued investment in technology, logistics, and customer experience.”

“We are seeing more Nigerians embrace e-commerce not just for convenience, but as a trusted part of everyday life. Our focus remains on building a platform that is more accessible, more reliable, and more relevant to the evolving needs of Nigerian consumers and sellers,” Ojo further mentioned.

The company attributed its broader growth trajectory to disciplined execution, operational efficiency, and increased deployment of technology and AI-driven systems across its operations.

According to the report, Jumia leveraged artificial intelligence and automation across operations, finance, customer support, cybersecurity, seller management, logistics, and technology teams to improve service quality while reducing operational costs company-wide.

The company also noted that technology and content expenses declined year-on-year due to ongoing headcount optimisation and savings from renegotiated technology contracts, while operational leverage continued to improve. They further highlighted increased use of AI tools among its technology teams, alongside automation in call centres and operational systems, as part of efforts to scale sustainably while improving efficiency across African markets.

Across the platform, Jumia reported significant gains in customer retention and marketplace engagement. Quarterly Active Customers reached 2.5 million, while physical goods orders climbed to 5.9 million in Q1 2026.

The company also expanded usage beyond major urban centres, with 62% of total orders now coming from secondary cities and upcountry regions, emphasising the growing reach of digital commerce across Africa.

Despite global economic pressures, including rising memory chip and CPU prices and supply chain disruptions linked to ongoing Middle East conflicts, the company reaffirmed its path toward profitability. Jumia stated that it remains on track to achieve Adjusted EBITDA breakeven and positive cash flow in Q4 2026, with full-year profitability targeted for 2027.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

E-Business

Lagos Captures over 6.4m Residents in LASRRA Database

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Lagos State government has disclosed that more than 6.4 million residents have so far been captured under the Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA) exercise as part of efforts to strengthen governance, planning and service delivery across the state.

Lagos Captures over 6.4m Residents in LASRRA Database

Tobosun Alake, commissioner for Innovation, Science and Technology,  revealed this during the ongoing ministerial press briefing marking the second-term anniversary of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

According to Alake, a total of 6,465,667 residents have been enrolled in the residency database, comprising 4,058,333 adults and 2,407,224 children.

The commissioner described the Lagos Identity Card Project, popularly known as LAG ID, as a major component of the state government’s strategy to improve governance efficiency and public service delivery under the THEMES development agenda.

He explained that the initiative was designed to provide government with a reliable and comprehensive population database capable of supporting planning, policy implementation and effective allocation of resources.

Alake noted that the agency operates an open framework that allows government institutions and private sector partners to independently participate in the system while leveraging a centralised data-sharing infrastructure.

According to him, the arrangement creates opportunities for partnerships, improved information management and enhanced value for both residents and businesses operating within Lagos.

The commissioner added that the initiative would further expand opportunities linked to the Lagos Residents Card and deepen the state’s digital transformation drive.

Speaking on security and digital enforcement, Alake disclosed that the state’s Safe City initiative had significantly increased digital traffic enforcement across Lagos.

He revealed that about 86,000 traffic violations were tracked within a few months, bringing the cumulative figure to about 737,000 recorded cases.

On technology-driven governance, the commissioner highlighted the role of Art and Technology Lagos, an annual conference organised by the Eko Innovation Centre in collaboration with the Lagos State Government.

According to him, the conference brings together technology stakeholders, policymakers, innovators and government officials to drive conversations around the development of a smarter and digitally connected Lagos.

Alake also stated that Lagos currently leads the country in data protection compliance, revealing that the state now has 109 certified data protection officers responsible for ensuring compliance and safeguarding residents’ data.

He explained that the government’s digital platforms now generate robust analytics that help authorities understand public interaction with online services.

“With technology, the state government has been able to know that an average 250,000 visit monthly,” he said.

“When we see our daily visitors on our online platform we are able to tell how many people are visiting our platforms, what they are clicking on and what they are using.

“Some of the services they are related with so we have backend analytics to tell us the number of visitors. I think the back end analytics is very robust and we respond to questions very quickly,” Alake added.

The commissioner further disclosed that the state had completed about 3,000 kilometres of fibre optic duct infrastructure extending to areas such as Alimosho, Ikorodu and Ibeju-Lekki.

He added that the government was planning to expand the infrastructure to 5,000 kilometres through partnerships with private sector investors.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

E-Business

Firm Shares Insights into Ransomware Trends and Tactics @ International Anti-Ransomware Day-2026

Published

on

Kindly share this post

On International Anti-Ransomware Day, May 12, Kaspersky shares a report with an overview of ransomware trends that marked 2025 and insights into what the threat landscape holds in 2026.

According to Kaspersky Security Network, in 2025 Latin America had the highest share of organisations with ransomware attacks detected (8.13%), followed by the Asia-Pacific region (7.89%), Africa (7.62%), Middle East (7.27%), the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS, 5.91%) and Europe (3.82%).

The report highlights the rise of “encryption-less” extortion attacks, the use of post-quantum cryptography by ransomware groups, and the persistent use of Telegram channels by cybercriminals to distribute compromised data sets and credentials.

Despite a slight decline in the overall share of organisations attacked by ransomware in 2025 compared to 2024, users remain at significant risk as attackers industrialise their operations, automate intrusion methods, and increasingly focus on stealing and leaking sensitive data rather than simply encrypting systems.

One of the trends in 2025 is the continued rise of endpoint detection and response (EDR) “killers” – tools specifically designed to disable endpoint security solutions before executing the malware itself. EDR killers have become a standard component of attacks, which means more deliberate and methodical intrusions.

Researchers also noted the emergence of ransomware families adopting post-quantum cryptography standards – this was predicted by Kaspersky previously. The development signals a concerning shift toward encryption methods that could resist future quantum computing decryption attempts.

The role of Initial Access Brokers (IABs) – cybercriminal intermediaries that sell pre-compromised corporate access through underground forums and messaging platforms – is growing. RDWeb portals (websites through which devices can be controlled remotely) are increasingly targeted as ransomware groups continue to industrialise attacks through “Access-as-a-Service” operations. As a result, the barrier to launching ransomware attacks declines.

Telegram channels and dark web forums continuously function as platforms for the distribution and for the sale of compromised data sets and accesses including those that were obtained as a result of ransomware attacks.

A major underground forum, RAMP, which also functioned as a platform through which threat actors advertised their ransomware services and published service‑related updates, got seized by authorities in January 2026.

Another underground forum, LeakBase, where malicious actors distributed exfiltrated and compromised data, was seized in March 2026. However, while law enforcement agencies are actively shutting down dark web platforms and ransomware data leak sites, similar portals may appear over time.

Active groups

Among the most active ransomware groups in 2025 based on data leak sites, Kaspersky identified Qilin as the dominant ransomware-as-a-service (RaaS) operator following RansomHub’s seizure of operations. Clop ranked as the second most active group, with Akira in the third place.

While several major ransomware groups stopped operation in 2025, new actors emerge. Looking at 2026, the Gentlemen is one of the most important new ransomware actors due to the group’s rapid growth, structured operations, and increasing focus on data-centric extortion. The group may include attackers formerly associated with other major ransomware operations.

The Gentlemen exemplify a broader shift in the ransomware ecosystem away from chaotic, high-noise campaigns toward scalable, business-like extortion models focused primarily on stealing sensitive data and leveraging reputational and regulatory pressure rather than relying solely on disruptive file encryption.

“Ransomware has evolved into a highly organised ecosystem focused on monetising stolen data, disabling defences, and scaling attacks with business-like efficiency. Threat actors are quickly adapting, weaponising legitimate tools, exploiting remote access infrastructure, and even adopting post-quantum cryptography years earlier than many expected.

“The purpose of Anti-Ransomware Day is to raise global awareness about the threats posed by ransomware and to promote best practices for prevention and response, and we urge all users to stay secure, set up layered defences, invest in backups and boost cyberliteracy levels to counter attacks,” comments Fabio Assolini, Lead Security Researcher at Kaspersky GReAT.

On Anti-Ransomware Day and beyond, Kaspersky encourages organisations to follow these best practices to safeguard from ransomware:

  • Enable ransomware protection for all endpoints. There is a free Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business that shields computers and servers from ransomware and other types of malware, prevents exploits and is compatible with already installed security solutions.
  • Always keep software updated on all the devices you use to prevent attackers from exploiting vulnerabilities and infiltrating your network.
  • Focus your defence strategy on detecting lateral movements and data exfiltration to the Internet. Pay special attention to outgoing traffic to detect cybercriminals’ connections to your network. Set up offline backups that intruders cannot tamper with. Make sure you can access them quickly when needed or in an emergency.
  • Companies from non-industrial sector can protect themselves by installing anti-APT and EDR solutions that enable capabilities for advanced threat discovery and detection, investigation and timely remediation of incidents. Organizations can also provide their SOC teams with access to the latest threat intelligence and regularly upskill them with professional training.

Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending