Telecom
MTN Halts $750m Fibre Plan over US Economic Sanctions

MTN Group Ltd.’s $750 million plan to extend fiber-home broadband connections to Iranian cities has been put on hold because of looming economic sanctions imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.
A plan devised a year ago for Africa’s largest wireless carrier to buy a stake and extend loans to state-owned broadband provider Iranian Net has made little progress, said people who asked not to be identified as the information isn’t public.
The Iranian government hasn’t been able to contribute funding as it battles to shore up the economy and arrest a currency slump, Bloomberg quoted the people as saying.
MTN will update shareholders on Iran as part of a first-half results announcement scheduled for Aug. 8, according to a spokesman.
The Johannesburg-based company had 43 million customers in the country at the end of 2017, its second-biggest market after Nigeria. Iranian Net was founded in 2011 to provide high-speed broadband, but has missed several deadlines due to a lack of capital, according to the people.
MTN shares erased gains and were little changed at 114.21 rand as of 3:51 p.m. in Johannesburg, valuing the telco at 215 billion rand.
Trump’s decision to withdraw from an international nuclear deal with Iran and reimpose an embargo on energy and financial sectors is proving a headache for MTN and other international companies.
Under previous sanctions lifted following a 2015 deal, the wireless carrier had about $1 billion stuck in the country, which it only managed to repatriate last year.
President Donald Trump
Under Rob Shuter, new Chief Executive Officer, MTN promised to exit or sell markets that it sees as more trouble than they’re worth, and disposed of its tiny Cyprus business earlier this month.
However, Iran’s size makes it likely the South African company will look to see out the current impasse, given the importance placed by MTN on its three biggest markets, which also include South Africa.
A money manager at Cratos Capital, Ron Klipin, said: “MTN conducts business in some jurisdictions where socio-political-economic conditions are very volatile and difficult to predict.”
Iran, Nigeria, Yemen remain difficult areas of operation, which could impact on MTN’s financial results due to major currency volatility and lack of liquidity.”
Telecom
Terra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding

Olugbenga Agboola, Flutterwave CEO has joined a $22 million funding extension for Nigerian defensetech start-up Terra Industries as Africa’s fast-growing drone and security technology sector begins to attract capital far beyond traditional venture circles.

The round was led by Lux Capital, with participation from Agboola through Resilience17 Capital and returning investors including 8VC and Nova Global.
It follows an $11.75 million raise just weeks earlier, bringing Terra’s total funding to $34 million as the company accelerates expansion into high-risk security markets.
Terra, founded in 2024 by 24-year-old chief engineer Maxwell Maduka and CEO Nathan Nwachuku, builds autonomous drones and surveillance systems designed to protect critical infrastructure such as energy facilities, logistics corridors and industrial sites. The startup says it is already safeguarding assets worth billions of dollars while securing early federal and commercial contracts.
Agboola’s involvement highlights a broader shift in African tech investment patterns. While fintech has long dominated venture flows, escalating infrastructure sabotage and terrorism threats have elevated demand for locally developed security hardware.
“Nigeria’s drone ecosystem is rapidly evolving from hobbyist and mapping use cases toward industrial monitoring, border surveillance and energy protection, areas increasingly seen as foundational to economic stability.
“This is about backing infrastructure security at scale. Africa’s growth depends on resilient systems that protect critical assets,” said Agboola.
Terra CEO Nwachuku is adamant that locally engineered systems are better suited to African operating conditions. “We are building tools designed for the realities on the ground. Security technology should not always be imported when local innovation can respond faster and more effectively,” he stated.
Lux Capital partner Brandon Reeves underlined that the investor appetite, which has drawn fintech heavyweight interest such as Agboola, reflects rising cross-sector confidence in African defense technology as a commercial category. “Security is a prerequisite for economic growth,” he said.
“As Terra ramps production and expands regionally, its funding milestone illustrates a wider transformation. Drone and autonomous security platforms are no longer peripheral experiments but emerging pillars in Africa’s technology landscape, where fintech leaders and venture capital converge around safeguarding the infrastructure powering the continent’s next growth phase,” said Reeves
Telecom
Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Temu, the global e-commerce platform expanding in Nigeria, has officially addressed an inquiry from the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) over alleged data privacy violations, confirming its commitment to compliance with the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023.

Temu
The company’s response follows NDPC’s investigation into Temu’s data processing practices.
In a statement to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Temu stressed its dedication to local and international data protection standards, noting ongoing communication with the regulator. “At Temu, protecting user privacy and data security is a top priority. We are committed to complying with applicable laws and regulations in our data practices,” the statement read.
Temu further affirmed: “We can confirm that Temu has received the inquiry and is engaging with the Commission. We will continue to engage in open and constructive dialogue with the NDPC to address any questions or concerns.”
Under Dr. Vincent Olatunji’s leadership, NDPC has ramped up scrutiny of foreign digital platforms to safeguard Nigerian citizens’ personal data—from contact details to financial information—ensuring transparent and secure handling. For e-commerce giants like Temu, managing vast consumer data volumes demands strict regulatory alignment to sustain operations and trust in Africa’s biggest economy.
Industry observers view Temu’s proactive stance as a savvy bid to ease tensions, mirroring Nigeria’s firm handling of platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and fintechs. This engagement underscores NDPC’s rising clout, compelling investors and foreign entrants to prioritise data compliance costs.
Nigeria CommunicationsWeek sees Temu’s approach as a model for global retailers eyeing Nigeria’s booming digital retail sector through 2026.
Telecom
Nigeria has Capacity for Real-Time Electronic Transmission – Telcos

Engr. Gbenga Adebayo, chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), has said Nigeria possesses adequate telecom infrastructure to support real-time electronic transmission of election results.

Telcos
Speaking on concerns raised about the country’s readiness, Adebayo insisted that any assessment of telecom coverage not issued by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) should be treated with caution.
“On what survey or data is the Senate basing its claim of inadequate telecom infrastructure?” he asked. “Currently, more than 70 percent of the country is covered by 3G and 4G networks. 5G coverage stands at about 11 percent, while the remaining areas are served by 2G.”
He added that even 2G networks are capable of supporting electronic transmission of results.
“I don’t know the source of the Senate’s information, but imposing a blanket ban on electronic transmission based on incomplete or inaccurate claims about infrastructure and investment is not justified,” he said.
Adebayo acknowledged that security challenges in about two states have made it risky for telecom operators to maintain facilities in certain locations.
However, he stressed that such issues could be addressed collectively by relevant stakeholders rather than concluding that the entire country is unprepared for electronic transmission.
His position aligns with that of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which in 2022 dismissed similar concerns.
INEC had explained that in areas with temporary network challenges, results uploaded to its iREV portal would automatically transmit once the devices entered locations with network coverage.
General News2 days agoJumia Targets Break-even in 2026 After Strong Q4 Surge
General News2 days agoNigeria’s Banks Race to Meet CBN Recapitalisation Deadline Amid Verification Push
General News2 days agoBOI, MTN Foundation Unveil N1Bn Fund for Women Entrepreneurs
General News2 days agoUBA Unveils Diaspora Platform to Connect Global Africans with Investment, Wealth Opportunities
E-Financial2 days agoNo VAT on Land, Buildings and Rent Under New Tax Law — Oyedele
E-Financial2 days agoCBN Slams Up to N10m Fine on Banks and Cheque Printers for Security Breaches
News1 day agoAfrican Leaders Highlight Africa’s AI Ambitions
E-Financial2 days agoIs Nigeria Borrowing to Survive or to Build?













