Connect with us

News

Police Arrest Man Who Scammed Nigerians with Fake Cement Price Slash

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Benjamin Ezeukwe, a 28-year-old man, has been arrested by the police in Lagos State for allegedly using a phoney price slash of Dangote Cement to dupe unsuspecting members of the public

Police Arrest Man Who Scammed Nigerians with Fake Cement Price Slash

The suspect allegedly defrauded numerous Nigerians, leading to the loss of millions of Naira by unsuspecting victims.

The arrest followed weeks of extensive investigation by officers of Region A Command of the State Command, culminating in Ezeukwe’s apprehension on October 19, 2023, in the Rumuolumeni region of Obio Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.

In a statement issued by Benjamin Hundeyin Lagos State,  public relations officer,  Nigeria Police, it was revealed that the suspect had committed multiple scams of a similar nature. Ezeukwe allegedly claimed a massive price slash on Dangote cement, enticing unsuspecting customers who ultimately fell victim to the elaborate scam.

“The Lagos State Police Command has arrested one Benjamin Ezeukwe aged 28 for masterminding and fleecing hundreds of innocent Nigerians in an elaborate cement-price-slash scam,” the statement reads.

“Claiming a massive price slash. Numerous unsuspecting customers fell prey to the scam, losing millions of Naira to the suspect. An investigation has so far revealed that the suspect had perpetrated several other similar scams. The suspect has since been arraigned.

“Benjamin was arrested on October 19, 2023, in the Rumuolumeni area of Obio/Akpor local government area of Rivers State following weeks of intensive investigation by officers of Area A Command of the State Command.

“Investigations also showed that he was in possession of a few gadgets, including a Toyota Avalon, three SIM cards (of which he used 08039691980 for the scam), an iPhone, and a Tecno phone.”


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

News

Customs Says No NIN, No Food as FG Begins Distribution of Seized Food Items

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) has commenced the distribution of seized food items across the country, following a mandate from the federal government, in a bid to alleviate the economic hardships faced by Nigerians.

Customs Says No NIN, No Food as FG Begins Distribution of Seized Food Items

Beneficiaries would be required to provide a verifiable National Identification Number (NIN) to access the assistance.

Wale Adeniyi, customs comptroller-general, announced the initiative during a flag-off event in Lagos, highlighting the collaboration with other agencies to ensure direct distribution to those in need.

The distribution targets various segments of the population, including artisans, teachers, and religious organizations, with an emphasis on reducing food prices.

Adeniyi assured the public of the safety of the distributed rice, certified by NAFDAC, and outlined measures to prevent misuse or diversion.

The operation addresses food hoarding and smuggling, contributing to the government’s broader strategy to stabilize food prices and enhance national food security.

 

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

News

Access Bank, FG Partner to Provide N50bn Funding for MSMEs

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Access Bank has said that it will be working with the Office of the Vice President to provide N50 billion as soft loans and grants to four million Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), in the country.

Chioma Ogwo, Head, Emerging Businesses at Access Bank Plc, disclosed this at the Inaugural Job Creation and MSME Quarterly Communications Forum in Abuja on Thursday.

Ogwo said the initiative was aimed at empowering businesses in Nigeria, by building their capacities and providing them with financial support.

According to her, 4 million MSMEs are expected to be empowered every year for four years, with 70,000 having access to finance while 300,000 will receive training.

She also mentioned that as part of the initiative, selected SMEs will have the chance to travel overseas and observe how businesses operate in other nations through its Business Exchange Programme.

Ogwo said: “So, this initiative, called the Youth Thrive by Access, is focused on MSMEs and we are looking at empowering them. There are different ways in which we are going to empower them. We are going to empower them by building their capacity and giving them access to affordable finance.

“We are going to build their capacities in different ways. There is going to be digital, technical, and also, skill acquisition training. With regards to finance, we are going to be giving them loans, and we are also going to be giving them grants.

“The grants are free. They are not paying us back. But, we are only giving grants to deserving SMEs who have done very well and there are price ranges for different categories.

“So, we have earmarked 50 billion for this intervention. For the first year, we will look at it and then will would review it”

While praising Access Bank for the initiative, Mr. Temitola Adekunle-Johnson, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Job Creation and MSMEs, Office of the Vice-President, stated that the objective was to remove obstacles to MSMEs’ loan access and to secure lower interest rates for them.

Johnson added that after evaluating the initiative’s effectiveness, the federal government would then consider whether to expand the funding.

According to him, “What we are trying to achieve is to be able to guarantee seamless and easy access to funding for the SMEs. We want businesses to be able to apply for funding and be sure that in the worst case, in 14 days, you have the funds that you need for your business.

“We do not want businesses to apply for loans and be waiting for disbursement in six weeks. Some of these businesses can fold up within those months. So, what we want, and what they have promised us, which we know they have the capacity to deliver on, is that this disbursements will be quick after the loan assessments are processed, so that we will help reduce the bottlenecks of MSMEs running from pillar to looking for funding.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

News

MoneyMaster PSB Records Increase in Customer Base

Published

on

Kindly share this post

MoneyMaster Payment Service Bank, promoted and backed by digital services company Globacom has continued to witness tremendous increase in its customer base since it commenced operations.

The PSB which launched commercial operations in May 2022 in order to deepen financial inclusion in Nigeria is focused on the unbanked and under-banked in the country.

The number of customers has been on increase with majority of them attracted by the bank’s digital channels such as USSD, mobile app and internet banking which allow them to open accounts, buy airtime and data, pay utility bills and perform other services hitch free.

The PSB has also embarked several innovations, with new services introduced in recent times for the benefit of its customers across the country.

These developments, industry sources said propelled Nigerians to join the bank in order to enjoy series of top – notch financial services and also conduct their banking transactions assurance promptly.

The sources disclosed further that “There are currently over 4,000 billers on the MMPSB platform and that the number is growing on a daily basis.

“Through the platform, customers are able to pay for many essential services such as airtime, data, electricity, cable subscription, etc”.

The PSB is also retooling and reengineering its operation with several new initiatives to be unveiled soon for better customer experience, thus assuring them of exciting times ahead.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending