Connect with us

Telecom

President Jonathan, Adenuga to Receive ICT Centenary Awards

Published

on

Dr. Mike Adenuga Jr., chairman of Globacom,
Kindly share this post

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan will be honoured with the award of “Grand Commander of ICT Promoters in Nigeria” during the ICT Media Centenary conference and awards slated for Tuesday, October 7 at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.

At the event being hosted by the ICT Media Initiative, three eminent Nigerians; Otunba Mike Adenuga, chairman, Globacom; Hakeem Belo-Osagie, chairman of Eisalat Nigeria,; Jim Ovia, chairman of Visafone Nigeria Limited have been shortlisted to vie for “Grand Investor in ICT 4 Development” in the special recognition awards category.

Aaron Ukodie, chairman of ICT Media Initiatives,  in a statement issued yesterday said that other deserving stakeholders in the ICT sector would be honoured at the one day event, which includes a conference and award night during which Dr. Hammadoun Toure, secretary general of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU),  has accepted to give the keynote address.

According to Mr. Ukodie, in the other award categories, investors, companies, innovators, pioneer efforts, products and services, regulatory milestones that have stood out within the last century of Nigeria as a nation would be considered for awards.

The event had already drawn on substantial goodwill and supports from the private and public sectors including: Dr. (Mrs.) Omobola Johnson, minister of Communications Technology;  Dr. Eugene Juwah, executive vice chairman, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC); Mr. Peter Jack, director general of the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA); and Mrs. Abimbola Alele, acting managing director, Nigerian Satellite Communications Limited.

Others are: Mr. Emeka Mba, director general, National Broadcasting Commission (NBC); Barrister Chris ‘E. Onyemenan, director general, National Identity Management Commission (NIMC)

Also Dr Ernest Ndukwe, immediate past EVC of NCC and chairman of OpenMedia;  Mr. Austin Okere, managing director of CWG, and Mr. Leo Stan Ekeh, chairman of Zinox Computers have all declared support for the event.

Mr. Ukodie said that the main theme of the conference is: ICT in the Nigerian Centenary: Matching towards a Connected Nigeria.

“We have also slated other sub-themes for discussion. One of the sub-themes is: Broadband, for a connected Nigeria and prosperity. The conference is intended to sustain the current growth and momentum of discourses and actions that would culminate in the cost-effective deployment of broadband. This fittingly complements the efforts of the Federal Government as exemplified by the inauguration of the National Broadband Initiative,” he said.

He said that ICT Media Initiative is a synergy across three entrepreneurial media groups namely the ICT Publishers Alliance (ICTPA) – comprising leading ICT publications; Business and TechnologyNews Publishers Foundation (BTPF) – made up of business and technology publishers, editors and very senior news managers across Nigeria; and Nigeria ICT Broadcast Network (NIBN).


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Telecom

Terra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Olugbenga Agboola, Flutterwave CEO has joined a $22 million funding extension for Nigerian defensetech start-up Terra Industries as Africa’s fast-growing drone and security technology sector begins to attract capital far beyond traditional venture circles.

The round was led by Lux Capital, with participation from Agboola through Resilience17 Capital and returning investors including 8VC and Nova Global.

It follows an $11.75 million raise just weeks earlier, bringing Terra’s total funding to $34 million as the company accelerates expansion into high-risk security markets.

Terra, founded in 2024 by 24-year-old chief engineer Maxwell Maduka and CEO Nathan Nwachuku, builds autonomous drones and surveillance systems designed to protect critical infrastructure such as energy facilities, logistics corridors and industrial sites. The startup says it is already safeguarding assets worth billions of dollars while securing early federal and commercial contracts.

Agboola’s involvement highlights a broader shift in African tech investment patterns. While fintech has long dominated venture flows, escalating infrastructure sabotage and terrorism threats have elevated demand for locally developed security hardware.

“Nigeria’s drone ecosystem is rapidly evolving from hobbyist and mapping use cases toward industrial monitoring, border surveillance and energy protection, areas increasingly seen as foundational to economic stability.

“This is about backing infrastructure security at scale. Africa’s growth depends on resilient systems that protect critical assets,” said Agboola.

Terra CEO Nwachuku is adamant that locally engineered systems are better suited to African operating conditions. “We are building tools designed for the realities on the ground. Security technology should not always be imported when local innovation can respond faster and more effectively,” he stated.

Lux Capital partner Brandon Reeves underlined that the investor appetite, which has drawn fintech heavyweight interest such as Agboola, reflects rising cross-sector confidence in African defense technology as a commercial category. “Security is a prerequisite for economic growth,” he said.

“As Terra ramps production and expands regionally, its funding milestone illustrates a wider transformation. Drone and autonomous security platforms are no longer peripheral experiments but emerging pillars in Africa’s technology landscape, where fintech leaders and venture capital converge around safeguarding the infrastructure powering the continent’s next growth phase,” said Reeves

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Temu, the global e-commerce platform expanding in Nigeria, has officially addressed an inquiry from the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) over alleged data privacy violations, confirming its commitment to compliance with the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023.

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Temu

The company’s response follows NDPC’s investigation into Temu’s data processing practices.

In a statement to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Temu stressed its dedication to local and international data protection standards, noting ongoing communication with the regulator. “At Temu, protecting user privacy and data security is a top priority. We are committed to complying with applicable laws and regulations in our data practices,” the statement read.

Temu further affirmed: “We can confirm that Temu has received the inquiry and is engaging with the Commission. We will continue to engage in open and constructive dialogue with the NDPC to address any questions or concerns.”

Under Dr. Vincent Olatunji’s leadership, NDPC has ramped up scrutiny of foreign digital platforms to safeguard Nigerian citizens’ personal data—from contact details to financial information—ensuring transparent and secure handling. For e-commerce giants like Temu, managing vast consumer data volumes demands strict regulatory alignment to sustain operations and trust in Africa’s biggest economy.

Industry observers view Temu’s proactive stance as a savvy bid to ease tensions, mirroring Nigeria’s firm handling of platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and fintechs. This engagement underscores NDPC’s rising clout, compelling investors and foreign entrants to prioritise data compliance costs.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek sees Temu’s approach as a model for global retailers eyeing Nigeria’s booming digital retail sector through 2026.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

NIMC Rolls Out WorkflowPro for Paperless Correspondence

Published

on

Kindly share this post

National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has deployed WorkflowPro as its official platform for the digital submission and management of correspondence.

NIMC Rolls Out WorkflowPro for Paperless Correspondence

NIMC

Kayode Adegoke Phd, Head, Cooperate Communications of NIMC said this in a press statement on Tuesday, 17th February, 2026, pointing out that this was “In furtherance of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda and the Federal Government’s commitment to institutionalizing a paperless public service.”

According to the statement, “The   adoption   of   WorkflowPro   marks   NIMC’s   formal   transition   to   a   paperless operating   environment   and   reflects   the   Commission’s   resolve   to   strengthen governance,    improve    administrative    efficiency,    and    standardize     records management in line with approved public sector reforms. The platform  provides a  secure,  structured,  and   traceable  system   for  managing   both  internal   and external  communications,  thereby  enhancing  accountability  and  operational transparency.

“Under the new framework, all external correspondence to NIMC will be processed electronically  through  WorkflowPro.  The  system  enables  end-to-end  tracking  of submissions,  accelerates  internal   routing   and  response  timelines,  and   ensures secure  electronic  archiving of  official  records. This  approach  eliminates  the risks associated  with  manual  handling  of  documents  while  reinforcing  compliance with established information management standards.”

Adegoke added that “The implementation of  WorkflowPro is  consistent with  the  Federal  Government’s Enterprise Content Management  (ECM)  policy, which mandates the digitization of   official   records   and   the   elimination   of   physical   file   movements   across   all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies  (MDAs) .

“Accordingly,  all  external   correspondence  addressed  to  the   National   Identity Management Commission must be submitted via the NIMC WorkflowPro platform, accessible through the official portal link or by scanning the designated QR code:
Portal Link:https://workflowpro-nimc.com/Submit . Correspondence

To  support  effective  implementation,  NIMC  has  approved  a  30-day  transition period   from   the   date   of   this   announcement,   during  which  stakeholders   are expected  to acquaint themselves with  the  new  process.  Upon  the expiration of this   period,   the   Commission   will   discontinue   the   acceptance   of    manually submitted letters and paper-based correspondence.

“WorkflowPro  was   developed   by   NIMC’s   in-house   technical   team   under   the directive   of   the   Director-General/Chief   Executive   Officer,   Engr.   (Dr.)  Abisoye Coker-Odusote. The platform forms part of a broader institutional reform agenda aimed   at   strengthening    the   security   of    official   communications,    reducing administrative   delays,   and   entrenching   digital   governance  within   the   public service.

“The  National  Identity  Management  Commission  enjoins  all  stakeholders  to  take note of this policy directive and ensure full compliance.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending