Connect with us

Telecom

Senate Invites Shittu, Comms Minister, Others over MTN Fine

Published

on

NCC-MTN.jpg
Kindly share this post

Senate Committee on Communications has asked Adebayo Shittu, minister of Communications and Abubakar Malami, his counterpart, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and minister of Justice, to come and shed more light on veracity of the claim that MTN Nigeria Limited, had paid N50 billion out of its N780 billion fine to the federal government.

The committee also summoned Professor Umar Danbatta, executive vice-chairman, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC); Ahmed Idris, accountant-general of the Federation; and chief executive officer of MTN to appear before it on March 10, to explain all they know about the payment and other connected matters.

Senator Gilbert Nnaji, chairman of the committee, in a letter of invitation dated March 3, said it discovered during one of its recent oversight functions that NCC could not provide any proof of the payment by MTN.

The committee further said it learnt that MTN had been misguided to lodge the said N50 billion into the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Recovery Account, the account it said was specially designated for recovered funds.

Therefore, the committee said it suspected foul play over the manner of the payment as well as the hasty manner that MTN withdrew its suit against NCC from the court, arguing that if there was no ulterior motive behind the moves, the payment ought to have been made to NCC.

“The rushed payment and subsequent withdrawal of the MTN-instituted legal action is not only suspicious but constitutes a grave economic and financial infraction as well as brazen breach of due process in relation to payment of fines,” the committee said.

The committee therefore said it would not fold its hands and watch the ambiguity over the fine and its payment to be handled in a shabby manner, insisting that NCC is constitutionally empowered to obtain the fine from MTN as against CBN.

“The committee wishes therefore to state clearly that going by the records of NCC whose constitutional mandate it is to superintend the mobile network operations in the country, and also in the prevailing circumstance, reserves the sole right on behalf of the Federal Government, to receive payment of any sort; MTN has unfortunately not in any way complied or shown any commitment whatsoever in this regard.

“For the avoidance of doubt and in the course of the oversight function of the Committee specifically in relation to the sanction, NCC could not offer any proof of receiving money from MTN. Curiously, it was reported that MTN was rather misguided to lodge the said N50 billion into the CBN Recovery Account which is specially designated for the recovered looted funds.

“The committee is of the view that such payment if actually well-intended ought to have passed through NCC as against the criminal act of circumventing the regulatory agency in the overall process. This is a clear case of deliberate mischief…The Committee also wonders why these willful contradictions would be orchestrated by those considered knowledgeable enough especially in the business of democratic governance.

“Furthermore the committee in strongly condemning this apparent national embarrassment recalls that only recently NCC imposed fines variously on some service providers which included MTN; and of course such fines were paid to NCC for onward transfer to the Federal Government coffers as the laws stipulate.

“Therefore, given the public outcry this crooked transaction has continued to generate, the committee as part of its statutory obligations has risen to the challenge of comprehensively reviewing the circumstances surrounding the entire process with a view to straightening the records and also ensuring that the country is not short-changed.

“Consequently, it has officially summoned all those concerned to appear before it to shed full light on their extent of involvement and or, respective roles in the unacceptable abuse of office,” the committee stated.


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Airtel Africa Plc has announced a strategic initiative in partnership with Barclays Capital Securities Limited to execute on-market share purchases totaling up to $110 million.

Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

This initiative will be divided into non-discretionary and discretionary segments, marking a proactive step in optimizing the company’s capital structure and enhancing shareholder value.

In a statement released on the Nigerian Exchange and signed by Simon O’Hara, group company secretary, Airtel Africa described this share buyback program as a key component of its broader strategy to return cash to shareholders.

It noted that the program aims to repurchase up to one percent of the company’s issued share capital as of the date of this announcement.

“This decision by the Board reflects the organization’s strong financial position and its commitment to maintaining flexibility while continuing to invest for growth across its markets.

“The initial phase of the program will see Airtel Africa collaborating with Barclays Capital Securities to facilitate the purchase of its ordinary shares,” the statement noted.

According to Airtel Africa, the agreement features two key components operating concurrently: a non-discretionary segment allowing Barclays to purchase up to $60 million of ordinary shares independently of the company, and a discretionary segment where Airtel Africa can guide Barclays in purchasing an additional $50 million, adhering to the regulations set forth by the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) No 596/2014.

“The program is set to commence today and is expected to conclude by November 27, 2026, unless terminated earlier under the agreement’s terms. Airtel Africa has signaled that as the initiative progresses, further tranches may be announced to achieve its objective of repurchasing up to one percent of its issued share capital.

“The primary aim of this buyback program is to streamline the company’s capital. Accordingly, all shares purchased will be cancelled, contributing to a more efficient capital structure. Any transactions will be performed in alignment with pre-defined parameters outlined in the agreement with Barclays and comply with the authority granted by shareholders for share repurchases.”

At the annual general meeting on July 9, 2025, shareholders authorized the company to buy back a maximum of 366.073 million ordinary shares.

Following the previous buyback program, the remaining authority now stands at a maximum of 357.042 million ordinary shares, demonstrating ongoing support from shareholders for these initiatives.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria’s telecom regulator has released draft rules for mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) as authorities seek to organize a market that is still at an early stage.

NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

The NCC published the proposed “Business Rules for Mobile Virtual Network Operations in Nigeria” and opened a consultation process for industry stakeholders.

Comments can be submitted until June 29, while a public consultation is scheduled for July 9.

According to the NCC, the proposed rules define the obligations and responsibilities of both MVNOs and host network operators (HNOs).

The framework also sets conditions for licensing, compliance, interconnection, numbering resources, SIM and eSIM management, and network hosting agreements.

Regulators also seek to guarantee fair access to telecom infrastructure and reduce delays tied to the integration of MVNOs into existing mobile networks.

The text further includes provisions related to service quality, customer protection, network reliability, and data security.

Violations could lead to administrative sanctions or corrective measures under existing telecom laws.

Nigeria officially opened the MVNO market in 2023. That year, the NCC awarded licenses to 25 operators for a combined 5.9 billion naira, or about $4.3 million. Since then, around 40 licenses have been issued, with operators such as Vitel and Visafone already launching services.

Authorities see MVNOs as a way to improve competition in the telecom sector while helping extend services to underserved and unserved populations.

As of March 2026, Nigeria counted 185.7 million mobile subscribers and 153.8 million internet subscribers, according to NCC data.

Despite the size of the market, digital access remains uneven across the country.

Government estimates show that nearly 20 million Nigerians still remain outside the digital ecosystem.

The GSMA estimated that about 120 million Nigerians did not use mobile internet in 2023.

High service costs and inconsistent service quality also remain major concerns in the telecom sector.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

Published

on

Kindly share this post

An Australian federal court has upheld a fine against social media platform X over failures to comply with child internet safety regulations, bringing to an end a three-year legal dispute between the company and Australian authorities.

Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

The case stemmed from a demand issued in February 2023 by Australia’s online safety regulator, the eSafety Commission, requesting detailed information on how the platform, then known as Twitter, was combating the spread of child sexual abuse material online.

Following the platform’s transition to X under billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, regulators accused the company of submitting incomplete responses to repeated requests for information.

A federal court had earlier ruled in October 2024 that X was legally obligated to comply fully with the notice issued by the regulator.

On Thursday, the court ordered the company to pay a fine of 650,000 Australian dollars (approximately 464,900 U.S. dollars).

Federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said the penalty was necessary to ensure compliance by large technology firms.

“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation, so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” he said.

Australia has emerged as one of the leading countries advocating stricter regulation of major technology platforms.

The country recently introduced world-first legislation aimed at banning children under the age of 16 from accessing certain social media platforms.

Countries including France, United Kingdom and Canada are reportedly considering similar measures following consultations with Australian authorities.

Reacting to the judgment, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said transparency remained essential in holding technology companies accountable.

“Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” she said.

“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending