Connect with us

Telecom

Subterfuge, Sabotage Hobble N6.1Bn Sim Card Project

Published

on

Kindly share this post

The integrity of the N6.1 billion Sim card registration project embarked upon by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) may have been compromised by some elements within and outside the NCC, Nigeria CommunicationsWeek investigations have shown.

The NCC has refused to comment on the allegations that confidential information of subscribers so far captured are in the hands of some politicians; organizations both public and private that have no prior dealings with the subscribers.

Also the synchronisation and integration of the data of registered subscribers still pose serious challenges despite the billions of naira voted for the exercise.

A senior official of a telecom firm who did not want to be named because of fears of victimization by the NCC said that most operators still do not have access to NCC’s data base.

Most of operators are therefore not able to pass their data to the regulator because of the problems of handshake.

Already, the legion of challenges facing the exercise are weighing down heavily on the touted objectives of the Sim card registration project which is to fight criminal activities perpetrated through phones.

Nigerian CommunicationsWeek investigations also showed that some operators have lost captured data and are compelling their subscribers to register afresh.

Elsewhere, some sellers of Sim card and some telecom product dealers have continued to circulate preregistered Sim cards.

Such preregistered Sim cards are widely available at Oshodi, Lagos, Wuse 11, Abuja for as low as N300 per Sim card.

When contacted for his comments on Wednesday last week, Tony Ojobo, director, Public Affairs at Nigerian Communications Commission promised to get back to one of our reporters.

Ojobo never did and did not reply inquiries sent by email to him by one of our correspondents regarding the Sim card registration project.

He did not also return several calls.

But the NCC had last year at the presentation of the Sim Card registration study undertaken by the Joint Action for IT Awareness and Development (JACITAD) said that all improper registration will be exposed during data scrubbing.

This is in a bid to safeguard against multiple and possible improper registration.

NCC said that operators would be directed to partially deactivate the Sims (on receive only) to enable the ‘owners’ of such numbers (if they exist) to update their records and thereafter deactivate the lines if there are no responses from the users.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek gathered that the Sim card registration project which began on March 28, 2011 has been bugged by web of controversies.

Some people have also accused the NCC of misappropriating the N6.1billion earmarked for the project, leading to the probe of the project by the National Assembly last year.

Critics of the Sim card registration project have questioned the huge budgetary provision for the exercise when similar exercise was conducted by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) without any special budget.

It would be recalled that late last year, the NCC itself raised the alarm that the registration exercise meant to furnish the commission with bio-data of telephone subscribers in the country is being sabotaged by some Nigerians.

Mr . Efosa Idehen an official of the commission at a press conference, held at the NCC office, Bodija, Ibadan, said that: “it is no longer news that some people are into the sales of fully activated SIM cards and this is not supposed to be.

There is a clique between the agents and the hawkers. This is why we are dealing with the supply chain.

“We are hereby sending a message to those involved that this is a sensitive process to the Federal Government. We want to know the total number of people using SIM cards and those using two, three phones or more and why? We are really serious about it.”


Kindly share this post

Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Telecom

WASPAN Drags Bello, FCCPB Boss to Court over Alleged Disobedience of Order

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria (WASPAN) has dragged Tunji Bello, executive vice chairman, Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), before the Federal High Court in Lagos over alleged disobedience of a subsisting court order in a legal dispute involving telecom-based lending services.

WASPAN Drags Bello, FCCPB Boss to Court over Alleged Disobedience of Order

Tunji Bello, EVC, FCCPC

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria initiated  this in Suit No: FHC/L/CS/760/2026 pending before the court.

According to court documents, Bello was issued a Form 49 Notice to Show Cause, directing him to appear before the court on 22 May 2026 to explain why an order of committal should not be made against him for allegedly failing to comply with interim orders issued by Justice Ambrose Lewis-Allagoa on 15 April 2026.

The court had earlier granted interim injunctions restraining the FCCPC, its officers, agents and privies from enforcing provisions of the Digital, Electronic, Online or Non-Traditional Consumer Lending Regulations 2025 against members of WASPAN, pending the determination of the substantive suit.

The restraining orders specifically barred the commission from interfering with services rendered by WASPAN members, including airtime lending, data advances and other mobile value-added services.

The orders also restrained the FCCPC from imposing sanctions, penalties or directives connected to the disputed regulations.

In the Form 49 notice dated 18 May 2026, WASPAN alleged that despite being aware of the court orders and having been served with Form 48 — the statutory notice warning against disobedience of court orders — the FCCPC and its Executive Vice Chairman allegedly continued actions contrary to the directives of the court.

The notice stated that the alleged contemnor refused to comply with the orders and had continued to deliberately defy the orders of the court.

An affidavit of service filed before the court disclosed that Form 48 was served on Bello at the FCCPC headquarters located at 23 Jimmy Carter Street, Asokoro, Abuja, on 6 May 2026.

The latest development followed earlier proceedings in which Justice Lewis-Allagoa declined an application by the FCCPC seeking to vacate the interim injunction.

The court instead directed that the substantive suit and the commission’s preliminary objection be heard together.

WASPAN is challenging the FCCPC’s authority to regulate telecom-based lending services, arguing that certain provisions of the DEON Regulations encroach on the statutory powers of the Nigerian Communications Commission to regulate telecommunications services in the country.

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria, is the primary self-regulatory body and trade association for licensed Value-Added Service (VAS) providers and aggregators in Nigeria’s telecommunications sector


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Lagos Warns against Fake Emergency Calls, Says Rising Misuse Put Lives at Risk

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Lagos State government has raised alarm over the  growing misuse of its emergency hotlines, and warned that fake calls are delaying response times and putting lives at risk.

Lagos Warns against Fake Emergency Calls, Says Rising Misuse Put Lives at Risk

According to the state, fake emergency calls or prank calls, account for a massive majority of distress communications—nearly 70 per cent.

This severe misuse dangerously delays response times for real emergencies like fires, crimes, and medical crises, and wastes critical first-responder resources

Olugbenga Oyerinde, commissioner for Special Duties,  called the numbers (nearly seven out of every 10 calls made to Lagos emergency hotlines) deeply troubling.

The scale of the disruption has significantly affected emergency response operations, with the government disclosing that 5.47 million incoming calls went unanswered during the period under review.

The abandoned call rate climbed sharply from 9.3 per cent in January 2025 to 37.6 per cent by April 2026, suggesting worsening pressure on operators handling emergency traffic.

Officials warned that if the current trend continues, more than 7.2 million calls could go unanswered before the end of 2026

The Lagos State Command and Control Centre serves as the central coordination hub for emergency response agencies across the state, including the fire service, ambulance services, traffic management authorities and neighbourhood safety operatives.

According to the report, the sheer volume of fake and misdirected calls has forced the system to devote significant operational resources to filtering non-emergency traffic before genuine distress cases can be handled.

To address the growing burden, the ministry said it plans to introduce artificial intelligence-driven call screening technology designed to detect and filter nuisance calls before they reach human operators.

The proposed system, expected to be introduced before the end of 2026, is projected to reduce operator handling time by 35 per cent.

Other reforms outlined in the ministry’s strategic response plan include expanding agent capacity by 40 per cent, deploying automated callback systems for abandoned calls and establishing a real-time analytics dashboard for emergency response monitoring.

Yet one of the most striking figures in the report was not the 16.39 million nuisance calls, but the fact that only 39 calls were officially categorised as hoax calls requiring legal follow-up during the same period.

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Google, Blackstone Invest in AI Cloud Venture to Meet Data Centre Demand

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Google and ‌Blackstone (BX.N), said they will form an artificial intelligence cloud business venture aimed at capitalising on an insatiable demand for AI computing services.

Blackstone, the world’s largest alternative asset manager, will ​invest an initial $5 billion in equity to help bring 500 megawatts of ​data centre capacity online in 2027, with further expansion planned over ⁠time.

The U.S.-based venture will provide data centre capacity along with Google’s custom AI ​chips, known as Tensor Processing Units, or TPUs, through a compute-as-a-service model.

The total ​investment value could reach $25 billion, including leverage, according to Bloomberg News.

Both companies did not immediately respond to a request for comments on the Bloomberg report. Blackstone has appointed Benjamin Sloss, a long-time ​Google executive, as CEO of the new venture.

Thomas Kurian, chief executive of Google ​Cloud, said the venture would help address growing demand for TPUs by offering organisations additional ways ‌to ⁠access computing capacity.

Analysts and investors have said Google is taking a sizeable share of new AI-driven computing demand, supported by its business tools and custom chips that have attracted customers such as Anthropic.

“This isn’t the biggest headline number we’ve seen. ​But it’s a high-quality ​bet on sustainable ⁠growth in AI infrastructure,” said Brittain Ladd, AI and supply chain consultant at Florida-based Chang Robotics.

Blackstone ​has stepped up investments in AI-related infrastructure, including data centres, power ​generation and ⁠transmission assets.

Those investments are valuable as the AI boom pushes operators to secure long-term energy supply deals.

The new partnership reflects rising demand for AI infrastructure and the need ⁠for ​large-scale capital deployment, Blackstone President Jon Gray said.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending