Telecom
Tecno @10, Set to Manufacture Phones in Nigeria

Taking its first official step into the international scene, mobile technology giant, Tecno Telecoms launched its flagship devices the Phantom 6 and Phantom 6 Plus, last weekend, in one of the most beautiful venues in the world – the prestigious Armani Hotel located in the Burj Khalifa, Dubai.
Notable guests at the event included Chidi Okonkwo, General Manager TECNO Mobile (Transsion Holdings); Kimura Makoto, General Manager of SONY; Jeremy Doutte, CEO of Jumia; Arthur Wang, Senior Director Corporate Sales International of MediaTek; Martin Kariithi, Manager Android Partnerships for Google (West Africa) and other business partners of TECNO Telecoms. Interestingly also, popular TV personalities Mercy Aigbe and VJ Adams were also present at the event.
Some Global Partners of Tecno Mobile
The dynamic mobile multinational has done well for itself and mobile phone consumers in Africa over the last ten years.
In 2006, TECNO entered the Africa mobile market sphere and since then, has been delivering quality mobile devices – smartphones, smart-bands and tablets, with the aim of making high-end mobile devices readily available to consumers.
Their customized product lines focus on how to meet the needs of the African consumers and how to effectively serve them. After only 10years of operations in Africa, TECNO has become one of the leading mobile phone manufacturers across the world.
Over the past decade, mobile phone penetration rate in Africa has risen from 6% to 80% and TECNO Mobile being a major driver of this development, is already servicing over 35 African countries while currently retaining the largest market share of 41.1% and 31.1% in Tanzania and Nigeria respectively.
Mr. Vane Ni, deputy general manager and global marketing lead at TECNO Mobile said, “We are proud of what we have been able to achieve in Africa so far and we are confident the time is right for us to duplicate the same success across other emerging markets. When we arrived Africa 10 years ago, very few people would have thought that we would grow so fast to control the largest market share of 25.3% across six major African markets – Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania, Cameroon and Ethiopia”.
Meanwhile, Tecno has set the stage for a mega phone manufacturing plant in Nigeria with the acquisition of land, Nigeria CommunicationsWeek gathered.
Presently, Tecno’s plant is sited in Ethiopia, however, in spite of the present economic situation in Nigeria the company is moving ahead with its plans to set up a plant in the country a top official of Tecno confirmed on Thursday.
“Even when presumed ‘bigger brands’ are not considering building a plant in Nigeria Tecno as the trail brazer is set to do it again. We are sure to commence work at the site soon. We will inform the public when work starts. But I can assure you that Tecno has acquired land in that regards”, the Tecno official said.
Today, TECNO has extended its web to more than 48 countries across the Middle East, South East Asia and South America, serving about 2.5 billion consumers which is about 35% of the world’s population. This feat clearly makes the brand a force to reckon with, not just in Africa but alsoglobally.
Phantom 6, the slimmest dual back camera smartphone
The new Phantom 6 wears an ultra slim design with premium chamfered edges, spotting the TECNO brand’s first dual rear camera technology- a high definition combination of 13 mega pixel auto-focus and 5 mega pixel fixed-focus cameras with LED flash.
Taunted by some analysts as the slimmest smartphone with dual rear cameras, the Phantom 6 stomachs an expanded internal storage space, powered by 3GB RAM for smoother operations with 32GB ROM leg room, expandable to 128GB. TECNO Phantom 6 enjoys improved processor speed at 2.0GHz, MediaTek’sHelio P10 chipset.
“The TECNO Phantom 6 gives mobile consumers better stability, speed and possibly the best camera experience on mobile phone,”says Attai Oguche, TECNO Deputy Marketing Lead, Nigeria.
Phantom 6 Plus, the fastest Deca-core smartphone
Also unveiled at the launch was the TECNO Phantom 6 Plus, the mobile maker’s latest phabletsmartphone targeted particularly at the Middle-east mobile consumers. TECNO Phantom 6 Plus flauntsan impressive 6.0-inch IPS touch display and hosts the mobile brand’s first tri-fold security combination (fingerprint, eye scanner and Trustlook antivirus). TECNO Phantom 6 Plus also boasts the latest MediaTek Helio X20 Deca-core chipset, making the super-smartphone one of the fastest mobile phones in the market.
Arif Chowdhury, vice president, TECNO Mobile (Transsion Holdings) said, “Mobile consumers in Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt and other top mobile markets in emerging economies have not seen anything like the Phantom 6 plus. This smartphone took three years in the making and the global expertise of over five hundred engineers to deliver right on schedule,” says TECNO global marketing lead, Vane Ni.
TECNO Mobile customizes its devices based on different consumers’ preferences and the Phantom Series, which embodies the best of technological advances yearly is expected to impress smartphone consumers across different emerging markets.
The customized Phantom 6 and Phantom 6 Plusis sure tobe appreciated by both local and international consumers.
Telecom
Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

Airtel Africa Plc has announced a strategic initiative in partnership with Barclays Capital Securities Limited to execute on-market share purchases totaling up to $110 million.

This initiative will be divided into non-discretionary and discretionary segments, marking a proactive step in optimizing the company’s capital structure and enhancing shareholder value.
In a statement released on the Nigerian Exchange and signed by Simon O’Hara, group company secretary, Airtel Africa described this share buyback program as a key component of its broader strategy to return cash to shareholders.
It noted that the program aims to repurchase up to one percent of the company’s issued share capital as of the date of this announcement.
“This decision by the Board reflects the organization’s strong financial position and its commitment to maintaining flexibility while continuing to invest for growth across its markets.
“The initial phase of the program will see Airtel Africa collaborating with Barclays Capital Securities to facilitate the purchase of its ordinary shares,” the statement noted.
According to Airtel Africa, the agreement features two key components operating concurrently: a non-discretionary segment allowing Barclays to purchase up to $60 million of ordinary shares independently of the company, and a discretionary segment where Airtel Africa can guide Barclays in purchasing an additional $50 million, adhering to the regulations set forth by the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) No 596/2014.
“The program is set to commence today and is expected to conclude by November 27, 2026, unless terminated earlier under the agreement’s terms. Airtel Africa has signaled that as the initiative progresses, further tranches may be announced to achieve its objective of repurchasing up to one percent of its issued share capital.
“The primary aim of this buyback program is to streamline the company’s capital. Accordingly, all shares purchased will be cancelled, contributing to a more efficient capital structure. Any transactions will be performed in alignment with pre-defined parameters outlined in the agreement with Barclays and comply with the authority granted by shareholders for share repurchases.”
At the annual general meeting on July 9, 2025, shareholders authorized the company to buy back a maximum of 366.073 million ordinary shares.
Following the previous buyback program, the remaining authority now stands at a maximum of 357.042 million ordinary shares, demonstrating ongoing support from shareholders for these initiatives.
Telecom
NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria’s telecom regulator has released draft rules for mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) as authorities seek to organize a market that is still at an early stage.

The NCC published the proposed “Business Rules for Mobile Virtual Network Operations in Nigeria” and opened a consultation process for industry stakeholders.
Comments can be submitted until June 29, while a public consultation is scheduled for July 9.
According to the NCC, the proposed rules define the obligations and responsibilities of both MVNOs and host network operators (HNOs).
The framework also sets conditions for licensing, compliance, interconnection, numbering resources, SIM and eSIM management, and network hosting agreements.
Regulators also seek to guarantee fair access to telecom infrastructure and reduce delays tied to the integration of MVNOs into existing mobile networks.
The text further includes provisions related to service quality, customer protection, network reliability, and data security.
Violations could lead to administrative sanctions or corrective measures under existing telecom laws.
Nigeria officially opened the MVNO market in 2023. That year, the NCC awarded licenses to 25 operators for a combined 5.9 billion naira, or about $4.3 million. Since then, around 40 licenses have been issued, with operators such as Vitel and Visafone already launching services.
Authorities see MVNOs as a way to improve competition in the telecom sector while helping extend services to underserved and unserved populations.
As of March 2026, Nigeria counted 185.7 million mobile subscribers and 153.8 million internet subscribers, according to NCC data.
Despite the size of the market, digital access remains uneven across the country.
Government estimates show that nearly 20 million Nigerians still remain outside the digital ecosystem.
The GSMA estimated that about 120 million Nigerians did not use mobile internet in 2023.
High service costs and inconsistent service quality also remain major concerns in the telecom sector.
Telecom
Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

An Australian federal court has upheld a fine against social media platform X over failures to comply with child internet safety regulations, bringing to an end a three-year legal dispute between the company and Australian authorities.

The case stemmed from a demand issued in February 2023 by Australia’s online safety regulator, the eSafety Commission, requesting detailed information on how the platform, then known as Twitter, was combating the spread of child sexual abuse material online.
Following the platform’s transition to X under billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, regulators accused the company of submitting incomplete responses to repeated requests for information.
A federal court had earlier ruled in October 2024 that X was legally obligated to comply fully with the notice issued by the regulator.
On Thursday, the court ordered the company to pay a fine of 650,000 Australian dollars (approximately 464,900 U.S. dollars).
Federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said the penalty was necessary to ensure compliance by large technology firms.
“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation, so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” he said.
Australia has emerged as one of the leading countries advocating stricter regulation of major technology platforms.
The country recently introduced world-first legislation aimed at banning children under the age of 16 from accessing certain social media platforms.
Countries including France, United Kingdom and Canada are reportedly considering similar measures following consultations with Australian authorities.
Reacting to the judgment, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said transparency remained essential in holding technology companies accountable.
“Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” she said.
“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.
Telecom3 days agoGoogle unveils Gemini-powered advertising, commerce tools at Marketing Live 2026
E-Financial3 days agoGriffin Capital Group Launches Integrated Financial Services Group Positioned to Strengthen Capital Formation in Nigeria, Africa
E-Financial3 days agoCBN to Simplify Bank Alerts over Rising Customer Complaints
E-Business3 days agoKaspersky Detected More than 92,000 Malware Attacks Disguised as AI Services in Four Months
Telecom3 days agoNigeria gets AI-ready Lagos data centre
Telecom3 days agoTelcos in Nigeria, other Emerging Markets Squeezed by Diesel Crisis
General News3 days agoOtedola Plans $100m Investment in Dangote Refinery ahead of Proposed IPO
Telecom2 days agoMTN to Turn its African Tower Network Into a Distributed AI Compute Grid













