Broadcasting
UK Adds Nigeria to Red List Over Omicron Variant

The United Kingdom has added Nigeria to its red list in an effort to restrict the spread of Omicron, a variant of Coronavirus.

A statement from UK Consulate in Nigeria, said that “from 4am on Monday 6 December, UK and Irish citizens and residents arriving from Nigeria must isolate in a Government-approved managed quarantine facility for 10 days, and receive two negative PCR tests, as further precautionary action is taken against the Omicron variant.
“Currently, the majority of cases in the UK have clear links to overseas travel from South Africa and Nigeria, and over the past week 21 reported Omicron cases in England originating from Nigeria.
“A temporary travel ban will therefore be introduced for all non-UK and non-Irish citizens and residents who have been in Nigeria in the last 10 days, meaning they will be refused entry into the UK.
This does not apply to those who have stayed airside and only transited through Nigeria while changing flights.
“Travellers from Nigeria are still able to transit English airports, provided they have the necessary transit visa. For more information about transiting through the UK from a red list country please visit: www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers
Speaking about the decision Catriona Laing, British High Commissioner to Nigeria, said: “I know that this decision will have a significant impact on people in both our countries, particularly at this time of year.
“This decision is a precautionary measure to protect public health in the UK, whilst we try to understand this new variant.
“We continue to work very closely with the Nigerian authorities in tackling the pandemic and commend their ongoing work.”
These additional measures, the statement further stated, are “vital to delay the import of additional cases and slow the rise in cases within the UK. However, as the Prime Minister set out on 27 November, the UK Government will review all temporary measures after three weeks to ensure that they remain necessary and proportionate, and this will take place on 20 December.
“Last weekend, 10 countries were added to the red list and it was announced that all vaccinated passengers arriving in the UK must take a day 2 PCR test and self-isolate until they receive a negative result. Since then, the geographical spread of Omicron has increased considerably, with 37 countries around the world now reporting Omicron cases and over 134 cases identified in the UK.
“New analysis conducted by the UK Health and Security Agency (UKHSA) indicates that the window between infection and infectiousness may be shorter for the Omicron variant, which increases the efficacy of pre-departure testing as it is more likely to identify positive cases before travel.
“The UKHSA continues to monitor the situation closely, in partnership with scientific and public health organisations across the world, and Government is working collaboratively with the WHO and countries around the world to better understand the new variant and possible mitigations.
“Given the reduced incubation period of the Omicron variant, passengers are advised to take the pre-departure test as close as possible to their scheduled departure to the UK and no earlier than 48 hours before travelling.
“Anyone arriving from Nigeria before 4am Monday 6 December, will be advised and strongly encouraged to isolate at home for 10 days from the beginning of their arrival in England. Their household should also self-isolate for 10 days with them. Affected individuals will be contacted and offered free PCR tests to be taken on day 8 after their arrival.
Travellers should not attempt to travel to the UK from a red list country without a Managed Quarantine Service (MQS) booking, as they will not be able to board a flight and could be subject to a Fixed Penalty Notice at the UK border.
“You must book your managed quarantine package before you travel to England using the booking portal administered by Corporate Travel Management (CTM). A link to the CTM booking portal can be found on: www.gov.uk/guidance/booking-and-staying-in-a-quarantine-hotel-when-you-arrive-in-england.
“The Managed Quarantine Service has contracted several new hotels to enter service this week, in response to the likely numbers of UK residents who will want to travel from Nigeria before Christmas.
“Our advice is to keep checking the CTM website as there are significant number of cancellations happening which will free up rooms”.
Broadcasting
Pheelz Shares His Journey on Glo-Sponsored African Voices

Nigerian singer, songwriter and producer Pheelz (Phillips Kayode Moses) is set to feature this weekend on African Voices Changemakers, the flagship magazine programme on CNN International.

The 30-minute episode, sponsored by digital solutions company Globacom, premieres on Saturday, February 21, 2026. In a candid sit-down with host Larry Madowo, Pheelz opens up about his journey from church musician to global hitmaker, reflecting on the intersections of faith, fame and the expanding influence of Afrobeats on the world stage.
Now 31, Pheelz began his musical path as a multi-instrumentalist in church before earning widespread acclaim in 2012 as the producer behind the hit tracks “First of All” and “Fucking with the Devil” on Olamide’s YBNL album. His rapid rise saw him named among NotJustOk’s Top 10 Hottest Producers in Nigeria in 2013.
He further solidified his reputation by producing nearly every track on Olamide’s Baddest Guy Ever Liveth, earning nominations at The Headies 2013 and in the Producer of the Year category at both The Headies 2014 and the Nigeria Entertainment Awards. In 2020, he clinched The Headies Producer of the Year award, and in 2021 secured the Soundcity MVP Award for Best Collaboration for “Finesse,” his smash hit with Bnxn (formerly Buju).
On the programme, Pheelz reflects on the experiences that shaped his sound and creative philosophy, discusses landmark collaborations, shares his perspective on artificial intelligence and artistry, and explains why sound, storytelling and culture remain central to African music’s global resonance.
The show airs on DSTV Channel 401 at 8:30 a.m. (WAT) on Saturday, with repeat broadcasts at 12:00 noon the same day; Sunday at 4:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.; Monday at 4:00 a.m. and 6:45 p.m.; and Tuesday at 6:45 p.m. The broadcast schedule continues through Monday of the following week.
Broadcasting
Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation Bolsters Nigeria’s Education Drive with ₦2.7m Student Support

Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation has reinforced government’s educational development efforts in Nigeria through a targeted initiative honouring the late medical doctor and House of Representatives member, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh.

L-R: Son of the late Dr, Cairo Ojougboh, Mr. Nkem Ojougboh; Chairperson, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation, Mrs. Bose Ojougboh and another son, Mr. Orieka Ojougboh, during the event in Agbor, Delta State recently.
The foundation recently hosted a programme themed “Your Future, Your Choice” at St. Columba’s Grammar School in Agbor, headquarters of Ika South Local Government Area, Delta State.
It presented a cheque of ₦2,700,000 to cover examination fees for students preparing for West African Examinations Council (WAEC), National Examinations Council (NECO), and Junior Secondary School (JSS) 3 exams.
Academic excellence received further boosts with cash rewards for top students across the school’s nine academic arms, alongside distributions of notebooks and writing materials to enhance learning.
Chairperson Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, joined by her sons Mr. Nkem and Mr. Orieka Ojougboh, urged students to view challenges as stepping stones, embrace discipline, consistency, and focus, and make intentional choices shaping their futures.
“The school that moulded Dr. Cairo’s values deserves our support,” she said, highlighting the foundation’s commitment to inspiring hard work and personal growth.
Old Boys of St. Columba’s Grammar School, led by Elder Ndudi Agholor, attended in force, sharing nostalgic reflections and praising the school’s sustained high standards under current leadership.
School Principal Rev. Fr. Joseph Ugboh and Ika South LGA Chairman Engr. Jerry Ehiwarior lauded the initiative as “commendable and impactful,” calling for its continuation to preserve Dr. Ojougboh’s legacy of discipline, excellence, and service.
They noted the support had motivated students to pursue their goals with renewed determination, ending the event on a hopeful note.
Broadcasting
New Horizons Nigeria Breaks Ground: First to Fuse Mandarin into ICT Curriculum

In a landmark educational innovation, New Horizons Nigeria has become the first institution to integrate the Chinese (Mandarin) language into its ICT curricular as an elective, thereby positioning Nigerian students for relevance in the rapidly changing world order.

Mr. Tim Akano, Managing Director and CEO of New Horizons Systems Solutions Limited
New Horizons Nigeria is a leading ICT training and solutions provider committed to provide individuals and institutions with future-ready skills. Through innovative program, global partnerships, and strategic foresight, the organization continues to redefine education, workforce development, and global competitiveness.
With over 80% of global consumer products manufactured in China and China’s growing dominance in global supply chains and labour markets, New Horizons Nigeria recognizes the urgent need for the current generation to understand, speak, and engage with the Chinese language and culture. As global economic power dynamics evolve, the labour market is increasingly tilting towards China, making Mandarin proficiency a critical competitive advantage.
According to Mr. Tim Akano, Managing Director and CEO of New Horizons Systems Solutions Limited, Nigeria, the program represents far more than a language course.
He asserted that very soon, the global labour market is likely to increasingly reflect China’s influence rather than the predominantly western orientation it currently exhibits. Language will be a major differentiator and the first Chinese-speaking technology experts in Nigeria will have a significant advantage, especially in integration into Chinese companies operating locally and globally.
Therefore, New Horizons Nigeria has officially launched a Mandarin Scholarship Program with China Advancement Opportunity, selecting 100 outstanding students from five prominent Nigerian secondary schools. This initiative marks a major milestone in Nigeria–China educational cooperation and reflects a forward-thinking response to shifting global economic realities.
Furthermore, the scholarship program has commenced with an intensive three-month online Mandarin training and at the end of the program, the top-performing students will be selected strictly on merit. 20 outstanding students will receive an additional scholarship valued at $2,500 per students to participate in a one-year pre-degree Mandarin and cultural immersion program in China. From this group, the best candidates will progress to fully funded admission scholarships into top universities in China. This initiative is designed not only to build language proficiency but also to enhance global competence, international exposure, and cultural intelligence among Nigerian students.
Also, to maintain international academic standards, participating schools are required to comply with strict guidelines. They will be obligated to join the online classes ten minutes earlier, they must have a minimum of 85% attendance throughout the program, and must ensure they have a stable internet connectivity, reliable power supply and a conducive learning environment.
Therefore, School owners and administrators have been formally congratulated and strongly encouraged to nominate their most disciplined, and committed students, as advancement to the China program will be strictly merit-based.
However, apart from students, internation business men are equally encouraged to attend New Horizon’s Mandarin executive lessons which will equip them with basic Chinese language to enhance their business communications.
Additionally, while the pilot phase begins with selected secondary schools which includes Startrite School, Lightway School, British Nigerian Academy School, Honeyland Schools and Great Heights School, the Mandarin program will be available as an elective ICT course at all New Horizons retail centers.
This is done to extend access to students and learners beyond its partner schools and within one year, committed learners will be able to communicate effectively in Mandarin, which will open doors to global employment, trade, and cultural exchange.
In conclusion, a Mandarin Cultural Fiesta will be hosted, bringing together educators, students, institutional partners, and distinguished guests from China and Nigeria. The event will celebrate outstanding performance, cross-cultural exchange, and the strengthening of bilateral educational ties.
For enquiries and participation details, interested individuals are encouraged to contact New Horizons Nigeria via 08125541750
Telecom2 days agoBanks, Telcos Settle Four-Year Dispute over N300Bn USSD Debt
General News1 day agoHow JustMarkets Is Empowering African Traders with Global Market Access
E-Financial2 days agoACAMB Educates Content Creator to Curb Misinformation on Bank Recapitalisation
Telecom1 day agoGroup Condemns Gabon’s Social Media Shutdown Amid Protests
General News2 days agoPalmPay Unveils First Batch of Winners in #LoveWithPalmPay Campaign
E-Financial2 days agoFirstCap MD says Payment Security Remains Biggest Barrier to Bankable Gas and Power Projects
E-Business1 day agoMutual Benefits Assurance Settles ₦5.9bn Claims in January 2026
General News2 days agoCourt Freezes MCSN Copyright Levies amid Record Label Legal Battle


















