Connect with us

General News

Activists Turn to Bitcoin for #EndSARS Protests as Banks Shut Them Out

Published

on

Kindly share this post

As protests surge through Nigeria in response to police brutality, one enclave of protestors has turned to bitcoin as a financial lifeline during turbulent times, according to CoinDesk.

Activists Turn to Bitcoin for #EndSARS Protests as Banks Shut Them Out

The Feminist Coalition’s bank account was shuttered this month after its involvement in the End SARS protests came to light, according to a person familiar but unaffiliated with the group who asked to be identified as Emma (a pseudonym).

End SARS is a movement in Nigeria to abolish the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a subdivision of the police force with a track record of abusing and harassing citizens.

Cast out of the traditional system, the Feminist Coalition is now raising donations in bitcoin.

The #EndSARS protests

The Feminist Coalition was founded in July with a mission to “champion equality for women in Nigerian society with core focuses of education, financial freedom, and representation in public office.”

With the outbreak of protests against police brutality this month, the group has concentrated on providing medical care, legal aid and even funeral funding for those participating in the peaceful demonstrations.

Since the protests surfaced in the beginning of October, 10 Nigerians have died at the hands of police, according to CNN.

As of Oct. 16, the Feminist Coalition has collected a total of 69,891,637.15 naira (a couple bucks shy of $185,000), 15,443,280.00 of which ($40,000) has been deployed to aid 128 protests across the country, according to the coalition’s website.

Bitcoin and censorship-resistant fundraising

All of this fundraising attracted the attention of authorities, though, and they were shut out of Flutterwave, the payments platform and something of a virtual bank they used to process donations.

At press time, Flutterwave had not returned CoinDesk’s request for comment.

That’s when they turned to alternatives.

“Quite a few members of the group work in tech,” so they made the decision to use bitcoin as another payment option, said Emma.

They started by using Sendcash, a platform which converts bitcoin payments into naira and then deposits these funds into a recipient’s Nigerian bank account.

The service is intuitive and highly useful, but it carries the risk that banks will almost certainly sniff out the source of the Feminist Coalition’s funds and shut down its accounts again.

The coalition no longer uses Sendcash because of this likely outcome.

But they still accept bitcoin: Alex Gladstein, chief strategy officer of the Human Rights Organization, set them up with a BTCPay Server.

Emma called the self-hosted payment process “a safer wallet” compared to other options.

Because it operates obliquely to the banking system, the censorship-resistant payment portal is an essential tool for the Feminist Coalition’s fundraising, Gladstein told CoinDesk.

“I would say BTCPay is important because it protects the privacy of donors and prevents the government from easily figuring out what service the protestors are using to cash out their bitcoin into naira,” he said.

Since adding the BTCPay bitcoin donation option on Oct. 14, the coalition has amassed roughly 3.14 BTC (~$36,000).

Bigger than Bitcoin

As CoinDesk has reported previously, Nigerians are no strangers to how the Bitcoin system lets them move money in the shadows of the legacy financial system.

Some Nigerian expats, for instance, use the Paxful exchange to send remittance funds back home, while others use bitcoin to trade directly with China.

More germane to the recent protests against police brutality, others have even used Bitcoin as an unconfiscatible bank account to avoid police shakedowns for cash. As though they see the writing on the wall, the Nigerian government is also spinning up a digital version of the naira.

Still, Emma said that bitcoin is “not popular among the masses yet at all. There are large barriers mostly in terms of education. However, a lot of young Nigerians are now starting to adopt cryptocurrency and it’s growing across the population.”

Further, the Feminist Coalition’s successful fundraising using bitcoin sheds “some positive light on cryptocurrency,” she says, and promotional efforts by Binance in Nigeria are also softening Bitcoin stigma in the country.

Of course, Bitcoin is only one tool in Nigeria’s fight for civil rights – it is not a cure – all for its citizens. What’s really needed is concrete reform.

Nigerians have been protesting as far back as 2016, Emma said, for SARS’ abolition and for police reform. It wasn’t until the most recent bout of unrest beginning in October that the government acquiesced to the protestors’ demands and formally disbanded SARS.

To many Nigerians, though, this is merely political theatre, and they expect SARS abuses to migrate to one of the new task forces that the government is forming to take its place.

That’s why the protests haven’t stopped, Emma said, “because [Nigerians] want to see actual change in terms of police reform.”

With SARS now abolished, though, the protesters’ something-of-a-victory has left Emma hopeful. Not necessarily that things will immediately change, but that the Nigerian people, collectively, are beginning to “wake up” to the government’s abuses.

There’s more activity now than ever pressing for change, she said, and that’s something to be thankful for.

“We’re very tired of the lies and deceit, and there’s a widespread consciousness and awakening among young Nigerians right now that many are saying they’ve never seen before. I know I’ve never seen it before and I’m so relieved that it’s finally here.”

 

 


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

General News

Xenophobic Attacks: Anonymous Nigeria Threatens to Leak South African Stolen Data

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Anonymous Nigeria, hacktivism, known for launching coordinated cyberattacks and protests in support of socio-political movements, has threatened to leak stolen South African government data unless its demands were met.

Xenophobic Attacks: Anonymous Nigeria Threatens to Leak South African Stolen Data

The group, called for the department to stop xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa, or it will expose the data.

“They call themselves correctional services, but they can’t correct the citizens. What a shame,” the group said in its Telegram channel, MyBroadband reported.

“They killed a lot of Nigerians while the so-called correctional services watched and the ministry of justice.”

It is immediately know if Anonymous Nigeria is affiliated to Nullsec Nigeria.

But in a post on a hacker forum, Nullsec Nigeria included a link showcasing an example of data stolen from the department.

It included two bid invitation notices, bid results, a copy of the bids received, and a notice of a bid awarded in various formats.

“We’ll expose all your evil deeds for the world to see, unless this attack stops. But if not, we’ll leak everything they got,” Nullsec Nigeria said.

“Unless the government of South Africa ends these xenophobic attacks on Nigeria, we’ll expose everything about you, your evil deeds will be exposed, and the world shall know.”

MyBroadband asked the Department of Correctional Services about the claimed breach and Nullsec Nigeria’s demands, but it did not immediately respond to our questions.

Nullsec Nigeria also claimed responsibility for breaching several other entities in South Africa, while responding to an X post about its OpSouthAfrica campaign in its Telegram channel.

“I wanna express something here. I saw a report on the #OpSouthAfrica hack by Nullsec Nigeria, but it was stolen by another person,” it said. “Tag the real breachers next time.”

In a separate thread on the hacker forum, Nullsec Nigeria also claimed responsibility for breaching the Ephraim Mogale Local Municipality’s systems.

It claimed to have hacked the local government’s website and threatened to expose “everything you got for others to see how heartless you are. You killed mothers, brothers, students.”

Nullsec Nigeria said the breach and the threats were in response to the xenophobic attacks on and killing of Nigerians and the South African government’s supposed silence on the issue.

“These attacks are still going on in the dark, and we’ll expose them all. If the South African government doesn’t act first, the whole of South Africa will suffer,” it said.

“This is just a wave. These documents are about 11GB, but we decided to pull just this one.”

Its post included two images: one for a public hearing and another, a handwritten tender document for the appointment of an insurance service provider.

It also included a link to several other documents, including an old annual report, council resolutions, financial statements, and various other notices.

The Nigerian Government recently announced plans to bring citizens back to the country from South Africa after violent protests over foreign nationals in the country erupted earlier in May.

President Cyril Ramaphosa condemned the protests and criminal acts directed at foreign nationals in his From the Desk of The President weekly newsletter on 11 May 2026.

He emphasised the recent demonstrations and attacks did not represent the views of the South African people, nor the government’s policy.

“These are the acts of opportunists who are exploiting the legitimate grievances, particularly those of the poor, under the false guise of ‘community activism’,” The President said.

“Some of these people are assuming functions that only state officials are permitted to perform, including stopping people to check identification and conducting searches of private property.”

He added that such lawlessness would not be tolerated, regardless of who the perpetrators or victims were.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

World Bank Blocks Social Media Comments from Nigerians over Loan Backlash

Published

on

Kindly share this post

World Bank has restricted comments on its Instagram page after thousands of Nigerians flooded the platform begging them to stop lending money to Nigeria.

World Bank Blocks Social Media Comments from Nigerians over Loan Backlash

The protest erupted after reports that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is seeking a fresh $1.25 billion dollar loan for approval on June 26.

Some Nigerians asked the World Bank to provide more details about the purpose of the loan and how the funds would be managed.

Others said the country should reduce dependence on foreign loans and focus on improving local revenue.

The federal government has continued to defend its borrowing plans.

Officials say the funds will support economic reforms, development projects and efforts to strengthen the economy.

Nigeria remains one of the major borrowers from the World Bank in Africa, with different administrations securing loans over the years for infrastructure, social programmes and economic support.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

Lagos Plans New Cybersecurity Centre

Published

on

Kindly share this post

The Lagos State Government plans to establish a Cybersecurity Operations Centre to strengthen protection of government systems, digital services and citizen data amid rising cyber threats linked to the city’s expanding digital economy.

Tunbosun Alake, Lagos commissioner for innovation, science and technology, said the centre would help secure the infrastructure supporting online payments, e-government services, cloud platforms and technology-driven business operations across the state.

According to Alake, the facility will monitor, detect and respond to cyber threats targeting government networks, digital transactions and sensitive public data.

The move comes as Lagos accelerates its smart city agenda through investments in broadband infrastructure, digital identity systems and automated public services.

Alake said Lagos had already deployed 109 Data Protection Officers across Ministries, Departments and Agencies, which he described as the highest number among Nigerian states, to strengthen compliance with data protection regulations.

Alongside the proposed cybersecurity centre, the state also launched the Lagos Campus Network Upgrade project aimed at improving digital infrastructure within the public sector.

The upgrade is expected to improve network performance, automate internal government processes and enhance digital engagement with residents. The cybersecurity initiative follows the release of Lagos State’s cybersecurity guidelines in April.

The framework recommends measures including multi-factor authentication, vulnerability testing, encrypted backups and tighter endpoint security controls.

The guidelines align with Nigeria’s Cybercrime Act 2024, the Nigeria Data Protection Act 2023 and the National Cybersecurity Policy and Strategy 2021.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending