The Boko Haram sect on Saturday killed over 60 people at Gaidamgari village in Bama local government area of Borno State, following refusal by residents to allow their young males to be recruited as members of the terrorist group.
The sect, National Mirror learnt, had embarked on a conscription drive to shore up their ranks dwindled in a series of battles with government troops, but villagers resisted the move.
Sources said the attack on the village, which took place about 10pm, was masterminded by the terrorists as punishment following the refusal by parents and elders to heed the demands of the sect to recruit young men from the village into their fold.
“The refusal of the community to allow their children particularly young boys between the ages of 15 and 20 to be recruited into the Boko Haram group, led to the carnage that befall them as the terrorists mobilised and launched a deadly attack on Gaidamgari village,” a security source said.
He noted that during the attack, over 60 residents were killed, while several others sustained gunshot wounds.
The source said the gunmen invaded the village in a convoy of Toyota Hilux vehicles and launched attacks with improvised explosive devices (IEDs), on defenseless civilians.
Another security personnel, who did not want his name mentioned, confirmed the attack on Gaidamgari, but said that 29 people were killed. In another development, about five motorists, including passengers, were at the weekend ambushed along Bama- Maiduguri road by a group of terrorists.
A source at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital told our correspondent that five dead bodies were brought into the hospital. Preliminary investigation revealed that they were victims of Boko Haram ambush.
National Mirror correspondent gathered that a large number of troops were yesterday deployed to the surrounding villages and towns of Damboa to confront the terrorists.
This is even as the Federal Government has vowed not to cede an inch of the nation’s territory to the sect, pledging the commitment of its armed forces and other security agencies to the fight against terror.
Government’s reaction came on the heels of reports that the sect had at the weekend effectively sacked Damboa village and consequently hoisted its flag in the area.
Media reports had detailed how Boko Haram militants killed more than 100 people in the area and hoisted their black and white flag in Damboa, about 85 kilometres from the state capital, Maiduguri.
At a security briefing in Abuja, Maj.- Gen. Chris Olukolade, director of Defence Information, said no portion of Nigerian territory would be conceded to any terrorist group, insisting that security in Damboa would be restored.
“We are not conceding any portion of the country to terrorist groups; we are sure that Nigeria security agencies have firmed up deployment in that area; patrols are active and we are going to reverse any form of security threat around the area,” he said. Olukolade, however, dismissed reports that terrorists had overrun the town.
He said: “I will not be stampeded to endorse what you read on social media. Nobody, I repeat, nobody will be allowed to hoist any flag in any portion of land belonging to this country.”
NCC Arrests Man for Hacking into DSTV System
Nigeria Copyright Commission (NCC), has arrested one Mr Aliu Olalekan, for allegedly hacking into DSTV system and watching the channels free without subscription.
Mr Matthew Ojo, NCC Director in the Lagos Directorate Office said this while speaking with newsmen in Lagos, on Tuesday.
He said that the suspect used to watch DSTV channels free without subscription on his Android phone via an app which he downloaded on google play store.
“This suspect distributed the know-how to his telegram followers and on his blog with the aim of gaining more followers and viewership on his blog and makes more money through google ad-sense.
“The operation was based on surveillance which had earlier been carried out by the Multi-choice team and verified by a copyright inspector, ” he said.
He added that the arrest was made in collaboration with a team of copyright inspectors led by the Head of Enforcement Department, Mr Charles Amudipe.
Others included; a team from Multichoice Nigeria led by Mr Umar Ibrahim and policemen from Lagos Command Headquarters, Ikeja.
Ojo said that the joint team conducted an anti-piracy operation at the premises of the culprit in Amukoko, Lagos.
According to him, the suspect was contacted on phone by a member of the operation team on the disguise of patronising him. “The suspect came out to meet the caller and in the process of discussion, he was apprehended.
“The suspect took the team to his resident. The squad paraded his one-room apartment and recovered his laptop and phones used in perpetrating the ungodly act. “He was arrested and brought to the copyright commission office for further investigation, ” he said.
Ojo said that, on getting to the commission’s office, the statement of the suspect was taken and the inventory of items seized from him taken. He said that investigation on the matter was still ongoing and if found guilty the suspect will be charged to court.
NCC, Digital Encode Support NITRA Innovative Tech Forum On Post-COVID-19 Strategies
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria’s telecommunications regulator and Digital Encode, Cybersecurity and Compliance advisory company, have indicated interest to partner with the Nigeria Information Technology Reporters Association (NITRA), the national umbrella body of ICT reporters, as it organizes a forum that will x-ray the industry’s future plans for ICT growth post pandemic era.
The event, slated to hold on October 15, 2020, will seek to discuss the needs for a fortified ICT sector after the COVID-19 era, and the level of preparedness of ICT stakeholders to embrace the challenge of being pivotal to the stability and growth of all other sectors.
A statement from NITRA National Secretariat in Lagos indicates that due to the pandemic and need to observe the COVID-19 protocol on social distancing, the event will be held via a Webinar.
This year’s theme, “Multi-stakeholder Approach To National Recovery Post-Pandemic”, is in line with the annual event’s generic theme, ‘NITRA Innovative Tech Forum’, a contribution by NITRA to the development of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) innovations and policies in Nigeria.
Prof. Umar Danbatta, executive vice chairman, NCC is expected to deliver the keynote speech at the event and will throw more light on Federal Government’s plans, programmes and policies on post-pandemic strategies using ICT.
Dr. Adewale Obadare and Dr. Seyi Akindeinde, founders of Digital Encode, while accepting to support the event expressed their readiness to offer their expertise in Cybersecurity for organisations to prepare against cyber- attacks with the new normal.
They will also highlight areas that are high risks that need fortification in terms of cybersecurity.
Speaking on the event, Mr. Chike Onwuegbuchi, national chairman, NITRA, noted that as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to leave its negative trails across the globe, economic reboot for countries will not only depend on how well they readapt to the new normal, but also more on their recovery plans.
According to him: “While the federal government has consistently expressed its willingness to set all policies in place to engender growth, and accelerated implementation of these policies, private sector firms have also shown great hunger for the task ahead in post-COVID-19 era.
However, the question that needs to be answered is whether all stakeholders are ready for the required task ahead.”
The event will also offer participating companies opportunities to publicize some of their individual efforts at contributing to reacting a soft landing or lifeline for SMEs and other ancillary companies as the pandemic threatens their survival.
Digital Encode is a multi-award winning and leading consulting and integration firm that specializes in the design, management, and security of business-critical networks, telecommunications environments and other Information Technology (IT) infrastructures.
NCC Threatens Illegal Users of GSM Boosters with Arrest, Prosecution
Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) has warned telecom consumers to desist from using illegal GSM boosters.
The commission also said that anyone caught using a GSM booster without obtaining approval of a duly licensed network operator will face arrest and prosecution.
GSM boosters are devices that transmit and receive telecommunications signals and can therefore interfere with other radio frequency equipment.
Ikechukwu Adinde, director, public affairs, NCC, said in a notice published on NCC website, that only licensed network operators are allowed to use GSM boosters.
The booster, also known as amplifier or repeater is made up of three main elements – exterior antenna, amplifier, and interior antenna.
They form a wireless system to boost cellular reception
“Members of the public should note that, willful interference with any wireless telegraphy is an offence under Section 16 of the Telegraphy Act, 2004,”it said
The agency said it will not condone any flagrant breach of this law.
It has also enforced measures to prosecute offenders.
Accordingly, monitoring mechanisms have been put in place and anyone caught using a GSM booster without obtaining approval of a duly licensed network operator will face arrest and prosecution.
“Any member of the public with useful information regarding the illegal use of GSM Boosters should contact the Commission on 09-4617000/7351 or send an email to [email protected],” the notice said.
“Individuals desirous of using GSM Boosters should note that they can only do so in conjunction with licensed network operators,” it added.
Glo Simplifies Customers’ Access to Company’s Information
Join Inlaks Live TechTalk Edition on Hyosung’s Revolutionary MV 100 ATM Model
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE: Inspired by Fans for the Fans
TETFund Seeks Increased Annual Research Funding of $1bn
UNWTO, Google Host First Tourism Acceleration Program in Sub-Saharan Africa
New Regulatory Agency Coming for Nigeria Postal Sector
9PSB gets Approval from CBN with *990# to Commence Operations in Nigeria
EFCC Arraigns Hackers for Allegedly Stealing N900m from FCMB
Why We Hiked Pay TV Tariffs- Operators
FG Carves Out 3 Firms from NIPOST, Plans Commission for Courier Industry
- E-Business2 days ago
Jumia Partners Reckitt Benkiser, Nokia, Others to Enable Consumers Access Quality Products
- Telecom2 days ago
Aptive Capital Dangles $10,000 Equity-Investment in Three African Startups
- News2 days ago
Bolt Expands Operations to Jos
- Telecom2 days ago
4G Advancement in Ethiopia: A Milestone in the Country’s Telecom Landscape
- Uncategorized2 days ago
NCC Arrests Man for Hacking into DSTV System
- E-Financial2 days ago
CBN Disburses N3.5tr COVID-19 Intervention Cash
- News2 days ago
Nigerian Students Qualify for Huawei Global ICT Competition
- Broadcasting2 days ago
Yobe Gov Approves Employment of Staff @ State Owned Broadcasting Stations