Telecom
FG to Make Another Attempt to Wind-Down NITEL

The federal government is to restart attempt to wind down Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL)., the moribund national carrier and MTEL, it mobile subsidiary, after a court blocked its previous liquidation attempt a couple of weeks ago, Nigeria CommunicationsWeek can report
The federal government had opted for the liquidation of the carrier after various attempts to privatise the company or turn around its fortunes have stalled.
But a federal l High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, had granted an injunction stopping the liquidation of the Nigerian Telecommunications Limited.
Nigeria CommunicationsWeek gathered that feelers from the presidency however suggested a renewed political support for yet another attempt to rescue the ailing telecoms operator.
The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) had middle of last year, said that over $3 billion (about N480 billion) liabilities of the ailing carrier remained the greatest constraint to the planned guided liquidation of the enterprise.
According to BPE, the state-owned telecom company’s liabilities far outweigh their current value.
A source at the Presidency told Nigeria CommunicationsWeek that “the federal government is really worried that NITEL and MTEL have continued to deteriorate. That is why the President has given his full support for effort to break the jinx”
It would be recalled that a federal High Court in Port Harcourt, had in January granted an injunction stopping the liquidation of NITEL.
Ruling on a suit with reference No FHC/Ph/S/471/2011 filed by Snytel IG Wills Communications Limited against the Nigeria Telecommunications Plc, Bureau of Public Enterprises, Ministry of Finance Incorporated (MOFI), National Council on Privatisation (NCP), Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and the federal government of Nigeria, Lambo Akanbi, who presided over the case directed all parties to maintain “ante bellcum” pending the determination of the case fixed for March 24, 2014.
Francis Enyong, counsel to the plaintiff, had earlier informed the court that while the suit was pending, the defendants had filed a residing suit for the liquidation of NITEL in an Abuja High Court.
The judge, however, frowned at the actions of the defendants, who were all present in court and mandated them to maintain the status quo, pending the determination of the existing suit on March 24, 2014.
The plaintiff had dragged the federal government to court over plans to liquidate NITEL.
The NITEL privatization imbroglio has lingered for more than a decade and one time the House of Representatives recommended that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) bailout the beleaguered carrier.
The privatisation process started in 2001, when the Investors International London Limited (ILL) bid to acquire the company but defaulted in paying the bid price of $1.317 billion.
In 2003, Pentascope of Netherlands was appointed as management contractors to revamp the company for another privatisation process.
But this was marred by scandalous revelations that led to cancellation of the contract.
In 2006, Transcorp won a bid to acquire the company for $500 million but they also failed to pay.
In February 2010, New Generation emerged the preferred bidder with an offer price of $2.5 billion in yet another attempt. But this preferred bidder also failed to pay even after it got several deadline extensions.
Additional report from Cellular-news
Telecom
Airtel Africa Launches $110m Share Buyback Programme for Capital Efficiency

Airtel Africa Plc has announced a strategic initiative in partnership with Barclays Capital Securities Limited to execute on-market share purchases totaling up to $110 million.

This initiative will be divided into non-discretionary and discretionary segments, marking a proactive step in optimizing the company’s capital structure and enhancing shareholder value.
In a statement released on the Nigerian Exchange and signed by Simon O’Hara, group company secretary, Airtel Africa described this share buyback program as a key component of its broader strategy to return cash to shareholders.
It noted that the program aims to repurchase up to one percent of the company’s issued share capital as of the date of this announcement.
“This decision by the Board reflects the organization’s strong financial position and its commitment to maintaining flexibility while continuing to invest for growth across its markets.
“The initial phase of the program will see Airtel Africa collaborating with Barclays Capital Securities to facilitate the purchase of its ordinary shares,” the statement noted.
According to Airtel Africa, the agreement features two key components operating concurrently: a non-discretionary segment allowing Barclays to purchase up to $60 million of ordinary shares independently of the company, and a discretionary segment where Airtel Africa can guide Barclays in purchasing an additional $50 million, adhering to the regulations set forth by the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) No 596/2014.
“The program is set to commence today and is expected to conclude by November 27, 2026, unless terminated earlier under the agreement’s terms. Airtel Africa has signaled that as the initiative progresses, further tranches may be announced to achieve its objective of repurchasing up to one percent of its issued share capital.
“The primary aim of this buyback program is to streamline the company’s capital. Accordingly, all shares purchased will be cancelled, contributing to a more efficient capital structure. Any transactions will be performed in alignment with pre-defined parameters outlined in the agreement with Barclays and comply with the authority granted by shareholders for share repurchases.”
At the annual general meeting on July 9, 2025, shareholders authorized the company to buy back a maximum of 366.073 million ordinary shares.
Following the previous buyback program, the remaining authority now stands at a maximum of 357.042 million ordinary shares, demonstrating ongoing support from shareholders for these initiatives.
Telecom
NCC Drafts New Rules for Virtual Mobile Operators

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria’s telecom regulator has released draft rules for mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) as authorities seek to organize a market that is still at an early stage.

The NCC published the proposed “Business Rules for Mobile Virtual Network Operations in Nigeria” and opened a consultation process for industry stakeholders.
Comments can be submitted until June 29, while a public consultation is scheduled for July 9.
According to the NCC, the proposed rules define the obligations and responsibilities of both MVNOs and host network operators (HNOs).
The framework also sets conditions for licensing, compliance, interconnection, numbering resources, SIM and eSIM management, and network hosting agreements.
Regulators also seek to guarantee fair access to telecom infrastructure and reduce delays tied to the integration of MVNOs into existing mobile networks.
The text further includes provisions related to service quality, customer protection, network reliability, and data security.
Violations could lead to administrative sanctions or corrective measures under existing telecom laws.
Nigeria officially opened the MVNO market in 2023. That year, the NCC awarded licenses to 25 operators for a combined 5.9 billion naira, or about $4.3 million. Since then, around 40 licenses have been issued, with operators such as Vitel and Visafone already launching services.
Authorities see MVNOs as a way to improve competition in the telecom sector while helping extend services to underserved and unserved populations.
As of March 2026, Nigeria counted 185.7 million mobile subscribers and 153.8 million internet subscribers, according to NCC data.
Despite the size of the market, digital access remains uneven across the country.
Government estimates show that nearly 20 million Nigerians still remain outside the digital ecosystem.
The GSMA estimated that about 120 million Nigerians did not use mobile internet in 2023.
High service costs and inconsistent service quality also remain major concerns in the telecom sector.
Telecom
Australian Court Upholds Fine Against X Over Child Safety Compliance Failures

An Australian federal court has upheld a fine against social media platform X over failures to comply with child internet safety regulations, bringing to an end a three-year legal dispute between the company and Australian authorities.

The case stemmed from a demand issued in February 2023 by Australia’s online safety regulator, the eSafety Commission, requesting detailed information on how the platform, then known as Twitter, was combating the spread of child sexual abuse material online.
Following the platform’s transition to X under billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, regulators accused the company of submitting incomplete responses to repeated requests for information.
A federal court had earlier ruled in October 2024 that X was legally obligated to comply fully with the notice issued by the regulator.
On Thursday, the court ordered the company to pay a fine of 650,000 Australian dollars (approximately 464,900 U.S. dollars).
Federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said the penalty was necessary to ensure compliance by large technology firms.
“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation, so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” he said.
Australia has emerged as one of the leading countries advocating stricter regulation of major technology platforms.
The country recently introduced world-first legislation aimed at banning children under the age of 16 from accessing certain social media platforms.
Countries including France, United Kingdom and Canada are reportedly considering similar measures following consultations with Australian authorities.
Reacting to the judgment, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said transparency remained essential in holding technology companies accountable.
“Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” she said.
“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.
E-Financial3 days agoGriffin Capital Group Launches Integrated Financial Services Group Positioned to Strengthen Capital Formation in Nigeria, Africa
Telecom3 days agoGoogle unveils Gemini-powered advertising, commerce tools at Marketing Live 2026
E-Financial3 days agoCBN to Simplify Bank Alerts over Rising Customer Complaints
E-Business3 days agoKaspersky Detected More than 92,000 Malware Attacks Disguised as AI Services in Four Months
Telecom3 days agoTelcos in Nigeria, other Emerging Markets Squeezed by Diesel Crisis
Telecom3 days agoNigeria gets AI-ready Lagos data centre
Telecom2 days agoMTN to Turn its African Tower Network Into a Distributed AI Compute Grid
News2 days agoElon Musk to Become First World’s Trillionaire with SpaceX Historic IPO



















