Connect with us

Telecom

NDPB Investigates 110 Companies for Data Breaches

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigeria Data Protection Bureau has said that it is presently investigating over 110 companies in Nigeria over allegations of data breach.

Dr Vincent Olatunji, National Commissioner of the Bureau, disclosed this on Monday while speaking to media men.

According to him, the investigated companies include banks, telecom, gaming, and online lending. He said the vulnerabilities in these sectors are high partly due to the capabilities of intrusive mobile apps they deploy in rendering their services.

Olatunji said those found guilty may be made to pay 2 per cent of their revenue to the government according to the Data Protection law.

He said that the government’s position is that those who are into data would have nothing to fear. Still, the consequences of their acts and omissions might constitute a civil or criminal liability. He added that the Nigeria Police Force is currently working with the bureau.

Among those being investigated are some companies in the financial and telecom sectors. They include four banks, online lending companies. one telecom company and one gaming company.

He said, ” the vulnerabilities in these sectors are high partly due to the capabilities of intrusive mobile apps. When you factor in a lack of due diligence on the part of data controllers in engaging data processors or vendors who have access to the personal data of customers, what you see in some cases is a pattern of abuses in violation of the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation (NDPR) and section 37 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

According to him, the government’s position is that those who deal with data have nothing to fear but the consequences of their acts and omissions, which may constitute civil or criminal liability.

Olatunji disclosed that the Bureau recently licensed 48 Data Protection Compliance Organisations (DPCOs), which increased the number of DPCOs to 138, which has boosted the wealth and job creation in the ecosystem.

He said that Nigeria was prepared for a leading role in advancing data protection and exploring the opportunities of the global digital economy. Olatunji reassured citizens that every data controller and data processor within or outside Nigeria would be held accountable for any unlawful processing of personal data from their jurisdiction.

The NDPB was established in February 2002 by President Muhammadu Buhari as the nation’s data protection authority and to fully implement the provisions of the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation (NDPR) issued in 2019.

He also said Bureau had generated N5.5 billion into the coffers of the Federal Government from its operations in the last year partly through the license of 138 Data Protection Compliance Organisations (DPCOs), which has boosted the wealth and job creation in the ecosystem.

“Similarly, the rate of NDPR Compliance Audit Returns filing increased from 1229 in 2021 to 1,777 in 2022,” he said.

He said that last year, the Bureau took necessary institutional measures to lay the foundation of the bulwark for a sustainable digital economy.

According to him, these are the official launching of the core values, digital platform and symbol for the seamless and effective implementation of the NDPR 5/4/22, adding that the agency has been carrying out strategic awareness campaigns across the country.

“We recalibrated the “Adopt-A-School” Awareness Programme, which is now called “Catch – them-Young”. We were able to reach over 3000 students and pupils in about 70 schools with the message of data privacy,” Cr Olatunji said.

He said the Bureau has also carried out stakeholder engagement for Accelerated Integration of Public Sector Data Controllers into the Data Privacy and Protection Framework. The public institutions engaged, he said, including the National Assembly, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Federal Ministry of Health, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Nigeria Police Force, Independent Corrupt Practices and Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the National Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC).

“As a result of these engagements, we now have a-100 per cent increase in the rate of integration of the public sector into the Data Privacy and Protection Framework,” he said.

In capacity building and National Certification on Data Privacy and Protection, he said the target is to create a pool of 250,000 globally competent data privacy and protection experts.

To achieve this, 15 capacity-building programmes for members of staff of the Bureau have so far been organized. In contrast, training has been done for the ICT and Cybersecurity Committee of the Senate, ICT and Cybersecurity Committee of the House of Representatives, Federal Ministry of Justice, Nigeria Television Authority, Voice of Nigeria, Federal Polytechnic, Nekede, Imo State, Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and Designated Data Protection Officers from over 100 Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).

The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Bureau of Public Procurement, Ministry of Health and Nigeria Institute of Transport Technology, Zaria, have also been scheduled to benefit from the capacity-building programme.

He said: “On the reinforcement of NDPR Implementation Framework. This was achieved through the Federal Government Circular through the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation directing Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to comply with the NDPR Circular no SGF/OP/I/S.3/XII/186 7/11/22

“Service-wide Guidelines on Personal Information Technology Devices by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation makes compliance with NDPR obligatory in public service. circular number OHCSF/ICTD/152/I/ dated 16/11/22.

“Resolution of the 10th Meeting of the National Council on Communications and Digital Economy (NCCDE), which urges data controllers and data processors at Federal, State and Local levels to comply with the NDPR. 9/12/22

“MoU with Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission; developing Code of Conduct for Data Protection Compliance Organizations and drafting the Nigeria Data Protection Bill 2022.

“As you are aware, the Federal Executive Council approved the Nigeria Data Protection Bill on the 25th of January, 2023. It will be transmitted to the National Assembly as an Executive Bill. The Legislature has reiterated its preparedness to pass the bill into law,” he said.


Kindly share this post

Ugo Onwuaso is an ICT enthusiast. He believes technology should be used for general good. He holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from the Lagos state University. Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

Telecom

Terra Moves to Expand in African Drone Sector, Secures $22m Funding

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Olugbenga Agboola, Flutterwave CEO has joined a $22 million funding extension for Nigerian defensetech start-up Terra Industries as Africa’s fast-growing drone and security technology sector begins to attract capital far beyond traditional venture circles.

The round was led by Lux Capital, with participation from Agboola through Resilience17 Capital and returning investors including 8VC and Nova Global.

It follows an $11.75 million raise just weeks earlier, bringing Terra’s total funding to $34 million as the company accelerates expansion into high-risk security markets.

Terra, founded in 2024 by 24-year-old chief engineer Maxwell Maduka and CEO Nathan Nwachuku, builds autonomous drones and surveillance systems designed to protect critical infrastructure such as energy facilities, logistics corridors and industrial sites. The startup says it is already safeguarding assets worth billions of dollars while securing early federal and commercial contracts.

Agboola’s involvement highlights a broader shift in African tech investment patterns. While fintech has long dominated venture flows, escalating infrastructure sabotage and terrorism threats have elevated demand for locally developed security hardware.

“Nigeria’s drone ecosystem is rapidly evolving from hobbyist and mapping use cases toward industrial monitoring, border surveillance and energy protection, areas increasingly seen as foundational to economic stability.

“This is about backing infrastructure security at scale. Africa’s growth depends on resilient systems that protect critical assets,” said Agboola.

Terra CEO Nwachuku is adamant that locally engineered systems are better suited to African operating conditions. “We are building tools designed for the realities on the ground. Security technology should not always be imported when local innovation can respond faster and more effectively,” he stated.

Lux Capital partner Brandon Reeves underlined that the investor appetite, which has drawn fintech heavyweight interest such as Agboola, reflects rising cross-sector confidence in African defense technology as a commercial category. “Security is a prerequisite for economic growth,” he said.

“As Terra ramps production and expands regionally, its funding milestone illustrates a wider transformation. Drone and autonomous security platforms are no longer peripheral experiments but emerging pillars in Africa’s technology landscape, where fintech leaders and venture capital converge around safeguarding the infrastructure powering the continent’s next growth phase,” said Reeves

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Temu, the global e-commerce platform expanding in Nigeria, has officially addressed an inquiry from the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) over alleged data privacy violations, confirming its commitment to compliance with the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023.

Temu Assures Compliance Amid Nigeria Data Privacy Probe

Temu

The company’s response follows NDPC’s investigation into Temu’s data processing practices.

In a statement to Nigeria CommunicationsWeek, Temu stressed its dedication to local and international data protection standards, noting ongoing communication with the regulator. “At Temu, protecting user privacy and data security is a top priority. We are committed to complying with applicable laws and regulations in our data practices,” the statement read.

Temu further affirmed: “We can confirm that Temu has received the inquiry and is engaging with the Commission. We will continue to engage in open and constructive dialogue with the NDPC to address any questions or concerns.”

Under Dr. Vincent Olatunji’s leadership, NDPC has ramped up scrutiny of foreign digital platforms to safeguard Nigerian citizens’ personal data—from contact details to financial information—ensuring transparent and secure handling. For e-commerce giants like Temu, managing vast consumer data volumes demands strict regulatory alignment to sustain operations and trust in Africa’s biggest economy.

Industry observers view Temu’s proactive stance as a savvy bid to ease tensions, mirroring Nigeria’s firm handling of platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and fintechs. This engagement underscores NDPC’s rising clout, compelling investors and foreign entrants to prioritise data compliance costs.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek sees Temu’s approach as a model for global retailers eyeing Nigeria’s booming digital retail sector through 2026.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

NIMC Rolls Out WorkflowPro for Paperless Correspondence

Published

on

Kindly share this post

National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has deployed WorkflowPro as its official platform for the digital submission and management of correspondence.

NIMC Rolls Out WorkflowPro for Paperless Correspondence

NIMC

Kayode Adegoke Phd, Head, Cooperate Communications of NIMC said this in a press statement on Tuesday, 17th February, 2026, pointing out that this was “In furtherance of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda and the Federal Government’s commitment to institutionalizing a paperless public service.”

According to the statement, “The   adoption   of   WorkflowPro   marks   NIMC’s   formal   transition   to   a   paperless operating   environment   and   reflects   the   Commission’s   resolve   to   strengthen governance,    improve    administrative    efficiency,    and    standardize     records management in line with approved public sector reforms. The platform  provides a  secure,  structured,  and   traceable  system   for  managing   both  internal   and external  communications,  thereby  enhancing  accountability  and  operational transparency.

“Under the new framework, all external correspondence to NIMC will be processed electronically  through  WorkflowPro.  The  system  enables  end-to-end  tracking  of submissions,  accelerates  internal   routing   and  response  timelines,  and   ensures secure  electronic  archiving of  official  records. This  approach  eliminates  the risks associated  with  manual  handling  of  documents  while  reinforcing  compliance with established information management standards.”

Adegoke added that “The implementation of  WorkflowPro is  consistent with  the  Federal  Government’s Enterprise Content Management  (ECM)  policy, which mandates the digitization of   official   records   and   the   elimination   of   physical   file   movements   across   all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies  (MDAs) .

“Accordingly,  all  external   correspondence  addressed  to  the   National   Identity Management Commission must be submitted via the NIMC WorkflowPro platform, accessible through the official portal link or by scanning the designated QR code:
Portal Link:https://workflowpro-nimc.com/Submit . Correspondence

To  support  effective  implementation,  NIMC  has  approved  a  30-day  transition period   from   the   date   of   this   announcement,   during  which  stakeholders   are expected  to acquaint themselves with  the  new  process.  Upon  the expiration of this   period,   the   Commission   will   discontinue   the   acceptance   of    manually submitted letters and paper-based correspondence.

“WorkflowPro  was   developed   by   NIMC’s   in-house   technical   team   under   the directive   of   the   Director-General/Chief   Executive   Officer,   Engr.   (Dr.)  Abisoye Coker-Odusote. The platform forms part of a broader institutional reform agenda aimed   at   strengthening    the   security   of    official   communications,    reducing administrative   delays,   and   entrenching   digital   governance  within   the   public service.

“The  National  Identity  Management  Commission  enjoins  all  stakeholders  to  take note of this policy directive and ensure full compliance.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending