Connect with us

Telecom

PTECSSAN Urges NLC to Reevaluate Tariff Hike opposition

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Private Telecommunications and Communications Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PTECSSAN) has called on the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to reevaluate its opposition to the proposed 50 per cent tariff increase.

PTECSSAN Urges NLC to Reevaluate Tariff Hike opposition

This request was made by PTECSSAN in a letter signed by Okonu Abdullahi, organization’s general secretary, and sent to the Nigeria Labour Congress.

The association urged the NLC to reconsider its decision to launch rallies and demonstrations over the proposed tariff rise in the letter, which was seen in Lagos on Friday.

It said that the only way to keep the industry from collapsing was to raise tariffs.

“If the sector is allowed to collapse, other sectors, including finance and security, will be affected,” PTECSSAN said

PTECSSAN said that the sector had, hitherto, been burdened by rising operational costs.

“The removal of fuel subsidy by the government has led to an exponential increase in the prices of petroleum products, thereby increasing the cost of maintaining telecommunications sites across the country.

“The price of Automated Gas Oil used in powering base stations rose from N842.25 to N1,441.28 between May 29, 2023, and Jan. 27, 2025.

“Similarly, the price of Premium Motor Spirit used to fuel field engineers’ cars increased from N198 to N1,030 and higher within the same period.

“Furthermore, the introduction of a floating exchange rate policy has increased the cost of importing equipment needed to maintain and upgrade telecommunications infrastructure,” PTECSSAN said.

The group added that telecommunications providers now had to pay extra to import equipment because the value of the Naira had dropped from N460 to N1,700 to the dollar.

It underlined that the implementation of a new electricity tariff with various bands had made the high cost of operating telecommunications installations even worse.

It claimed that if the government did not allow the rate rise, telecommunications companies operating under the auspices of the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ALTON) had been warned that the industry would soon collapse.

According to PTECSSAN, one of the sector’s CEOs had likewise compared the current state of affairs to that of a patient on life support.

Additionally, the group noted that the proposed rate rise would allow telecom companies to raise employee compensation, which had been static because of rising operating costs.

It said that although employees in the public and private sectors had benefited from pay increases brought about by the new minimum wage law, those in the telecoms industry had not been as lucky.

“Some telecommunications operators have started considering service shedding across the country to break even, which would affect other sectors, including finance and security.

“We, therefore, appeal to the NLC to rescind its decision to embark on protests and demonstrations against the proposed tariff increase, as this is the only way to prevent the collapse of the sector,” PTECSSAN said.

 

 


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Telecom

WASPAN Drags Bello, FCCPB Boss to Court over Alleged Disobedience of Order

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria (WASPAN) has dragged Tunji Bello, executive vice chairman, Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), before the Federal High Court in Lagos over alleged disobedience of a subsisting court order in a legal dispute involving telecom-based lending services.

WASPAN Drags Bello, FCCPB Boss to Court over Alleged Disobedience of Order

Tunji Bello, EVC, FCCPC

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria initiated  this in Suit No: FHC/L/CS/760/2026 pending before the court.

According to court documents, Bello was issued a Form 49 Notice to Show Cause, directing him to appear before the court on 22 May 2026 to explain why an order of committal should not be made against him for allegedly failing to comply with interim orders issued by Justice Ambrose Lewis-Allagoa on 15 April 2026.

The court had earlier granted interim injunctions restraining the FCCPC, its officers, agents and privies from enforcing provisions of the Digital, Electronic, Online or Non-Traditional Consumer Lending Regulations 2025 against members of WASPAN, pending the determination of the substantive suit.

The restraining orders specifically barred the commission from interfering with services rendered by WASPAN members, including airtime lending, data advances and other mobile value-added services.

The orders also restrained the FCCPC from imposing sanctions, penalties or directives connected to the disputed regulations.

In the Form 49 notice dated 18 May 2026, WASPAN alleged that despite being aware of the court orders and having been served with Form 48 — the statutory notice warning against disobedience of court orders — the FCCPC and its Executive Vice Chairman allegedly continued actions contrary to the directives of the court.

The notice stated that the alleged contemnor refused to comply with the orders and had continued to deliberately defy the orders of the court.

An affidavit of service filed before the court disclosed that Form 48 was served on Bello at the FCCPC headquarters located at 23 Jimmy Carter Street, Asokoro, Abuja, on 6 May 2026.

The latest development followed earlier proceedings in which Justice Lewis-Allagoa declined an application by the FCCPC seeking to vacate the interim injunction.

The court instead directed that the substantive suit and the commission’s preliminary objection be heard together.

WASPAN is challenging the FCCPC’s authority to regulate telecom-based lending services, arguing that certain provisions of the DEON Regulations encroach on the statutory powers of the Nigerian Communications Commission to regulate telecommunications services in the country.

Wireless Application Service Providers Association of Nigeria, is the primary self-regulatory body and trade association for licensed Value-Added Service (VAS) providers and aggregators in Nigeria’s telecommunications sector


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Lagos Warns against Fake Emergency Calls, Says Rising Misuse Put Lives at Risk

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Lagos State government has raised alarm over the  growing misuse of its emergency hotlines, and warned that fake calls are delaying response times and putting lives at risk.

Lagos Warns against Fake Emergency Calls, Says Rising Misuse Put Lives at Risk

According to the state, fake emergency calls or prank calls, account for a massive majority of distress communications—nearly 70 per cent.

This severe misuse dangerously delays response times for real emergencies like fires, crimes, and medical crises, and wastes critical first-responder resources

Olugbenga Oyerinde, commissioner for Special Duties,  called the numbers (nearly seven out of every 10 calls made to Lagos emergency hotlines) deeply troubling.

The scale of the disruption has significantly affected emergency response operations, with the government disclosing that 5.47 million incoming calls went unanswered during the period under review.

The abandoned call rate climbed sharply from 9.3 per cent in January 2025 to 37.6 per cent by April 2026, suggesting worsening pressure on operators handling emergency traffic.

Officials warned that if the current trend continues, more than 7.2 million calls could go unanswered before the end of 2026

The Lagos State Command and Control Centre serves as the central coordination hub for emergency response agencies across the state, including the fire service, ambulance services, traffic management authorities and neighbourhood safety operatives.

According to the report, the sheer volume of fake and misdirected calls has forced the system to devote significant operational resources to filtering non-emergency traffic before genuine distress cases can be handled.

To address the growing burden, the ministry said it plans to introduce artificial intelligence-driven call screening technology designed to detect and filter nuisance calls before they reach human operators.

The proposed system, expected to be introduced before the end of 2026, is projected to reduce operator handling time by 35 per cent.

Other reforms outlined in the ministry’s strategic response plan include expanding agent capacity by 40 per cent, deploying automated callback systems for abandoned calls and establishing a real-time analytics dashboard for emergency response monitoring.

Yet one of the most striking figures in the report was not the 16.39 million nuisance calls, but the fact that only 39 calls were officially categorised as hoax calls requiring legal follow-up during the same period.

 

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Google, Blackstone Invest in AI Cloud Venture to Meet Data Centre Demand

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Google and ‌Blackstone (BX.N), said they will form an artificial intelligence cloud business venture aimed at capitalising on an insatiable demand for AI computing services.

Blackstone, the world’s largest alternative asset manager, will ​invest an initial $5 billion in equity to help bring 500 megawatts of ​data centre capacity online in 2027, with further expansion planned over ⁠time.

The U.S.-based venture will provide data centre capacity along with Google’s custom AI ​chips, known as Tensor Processing Units, or TPUs, through a compute-as-a-service model.

The total ​investment value could reach $25 billion, including leverage, according to Bloomberg News.

Both companies did not immediately respond to a request for comments on the Bloomberg report. Blackstone has appointed Benjamin Sloss, a long-time ​Google executive, as CEO of the new venture.

Thomas Kurian, chief executive of Google ​Cloud, said the venture would help address growing demand for TPUs by offering organisations additional ways ‌to ⁠access computing capacity.

Analysts and investors have said Google is taking a sizeable share of new AI-driven computing demand, supported by its business tools and custom chips that have attracted customers such as Anthropic.

“This isn’t the biggest headline number we’ve seen. ​But it’s a high-quality ​bet on sustainable ⁠growth in AI infrastructure,” said Brittain Ladd, AI and supply chain consultant at Florida-based Chang Robotics.

Blackstone ​has stepped up investments in AI-related infrastructure, including data centres, power ​generation and ⁠transmission assets.

Those investments are valuable as the AI boom pushes operators to secure long-term energy supply deals.

The new partnership reflects rising demand for AI infrastructure and the need ⁠for ​large-scale capital deployment, Blackstone President Jon Gray said.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending