Connect with us

General News

Shell Pens Bonga North-West Flowline, Installation Contract

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCo) has signed a contract with Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited for the provision of crude oil flowlines and installation of other production facilities for its Bonga North-West offshore project.
Tony Okonedo, corporate media relations manager, said that the development followed a competitive tender and agreement between SNEPCo, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC/NAPIMS) and Saipem.
Under the terms of the contract, he said Saipem would design, fabricate, install and pre-commission the 13-kilometre subsea flowlines that will convey crude oil from the Bonga North-West’s wells to existing production facilities, as well as install production manifolds, umbilical and subsea controls distribution units.
The Bonga North-West project involves the drilling of 12-wells in water depths of some 1200 metres, and provision of associated facilities to tie into the existing Bonga floating production and storage facility (FPSO).
The initial phase of the project comprises the drilling of five subsea wells. Seven main contracts including the flowline and the installation contract are planned for the execution of the project.
Chike Onyejekwe, managing director, SNEPCo said: "We have chosen a highly qualified contractor for this assignment and our expectation is that the work will be executed safely and within the terms and conditions of the contract.
We remain convinced that as a team, we have what it takes to execute this work and deliver a project which will complement the existing and highly successful Bonga offshore project. "
Yves Inbona, chief operating officer, Offshore Business Unit of Saipem,  said: "For Saipem, it is a new milestone as well as another opportunity to demonstrate our dedication to safety. Saipem Contracting Nigeria holds the best safety record in the entire Saipem Group.
This comes as a result of dedication and training by safety experts both in the group and in Nigeria who have a strong commitment to safety in onshore, offshore and in green projects. We have been investing in facilities and this contract offers a technical challenge as well as an opportunity to deploy our tested technology with our local partners."
SNEPCo had earlier this year, awarded contracts for other aspects of Bonga North West to encourage Nigerian content. The Front End Engineering Design (FEED) and detailed design of topsides facilities were undertaken by the National Engineering and Technical Company Limited (NETCO) – a subsidiary of NNPC, in conjunction with SNEPCo engineers, while Weltek Limited is executing the topsides modification work, including procurement, onshore fabrication, offshore installation and hook-up.
Located in Oil Prospecting Licensed (OPL) 212, the Bonga concession was awarded in 1993 during the first round of bidding for Nigeria’s deepwater frontier acreage. It is operated by SNEPCo (55 per cent) on behalf of NNPC under a Production Sharing Contract (PSC).
SNEPCo has a Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) with Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria (Deepwater) Limited (20 per cent) NAE Nigerian Agip Exploration Limited (12.5 per cent) and Elf Petroleum Nigeria Limited (12.5 per cent) in respect of OPL 212.
Shell also disclosed on Monday it plans to start output from its proposed Prelude floating liquefied natural gas plant by 2016.
The Prelude FLNG project, off Western Australia state, the Browse basin, has an estimated operational life of 25 years, Shell said in an environmental impact statement released on Monday for public comment.
Shell said it expects to make a final investment decision on the project in early 2011, after which it will take about five years before construction of the FLNG facility will be completed and towed to site for start-up.
The proposed production timeframe for Prelude coincides with at least four other planned LNG projects in the Asia-Pacific region and could add to concerns about a potential supply glut in the middle of the next decade, a Reuters report said.
Projects that are targeting first gas in around 2016 include Chevron’s Wheatstone project, Woodside Petroleum’s Sunrise project, Inpex’s Ichthys development and the Bonaparte FLNG project owned by GDF Suez and Santos.
Shell said last week that the Prelude LNG project would be the first application of its FLNG technology anywhere in the world and could be the world’s first operational floating LNG platform, depending on the progress of rival projects.
The Prelude project will have a low environmental footprint as its location is restricted to 200 kilometres offshore, away from sensitive issues such as turtles, whales and the pristine coastline, Shell said in the report.
The Prelude FLNG project is estimated to produce a maximum of 3.6 million tonnes per year of LNG, 1.3 million tonnes of condensate and 400,000 tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas.

 


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

General News

FG to Review MTN’s $6.2Bn IHS Acquisition — Tijani

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the strategic importance of telecommunications infrastructure to Nigeria’s economy and national security.

FG to Review MTN’s $6.2Bn IHS Acquisition — Tijani

The move follows an earlier announcement that MTN Group had agreed to acquire IHS Holding Limited in an all-cash transaction valued at $6.2bn, a deal that would see the tower company delisted and become a wholly owned subsidiary of the mobile network operator.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Bosun Tijani, minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy,said the government was closely monitoring developments.

“The Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy notes recent developments in the Nigerian telecommunications sector regarding the acquisition of IHS Towers by MTN Group,” the statement signed by the minister partly read.

“The Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy notes recent developments in the Nigerian telecommunications sector regarding the acquisition of IHS Towers by MTN Group,” the statement signed by the minister partly read.

The proposed transaction would consolidate ownership of critical passive infrastructure under the continent’s largest mobile operator by subscribers.

Tijani acknowledged recent improvements in the industry’s financial health, noting that “recent financial results announced by key operators indicate a return to improved profitability, increased investment in telecoms infrastructure and operational stability across the sector.”

“This progress reflects the resilience of the industry and the impact of reforms aimed at ensuring its viability and capacity to continue delivering meaningful connectivity to Nigerians,” he added.

However, he stressed that the government would not treat the transaction as routine, given the sensitivity of telecoms assets.

“Given the strategic importance of telecommunications infrastructure to national security, economic growth, financial services, innovation, and social inclusion, and to ensure strategic actions by private sector operators are in line with the market development agenda under the Renewed Hope policy directions of the President, the ministry will undertake a thorough assessment of this development in collaboration with the relevant regulatory authorities to review its impact on the sector,” the minister stated.

The minister made the government’s position clear. “Our objective is clear to ensure that any market consolidation or structural changes protect consumers, safeguard investments, and preserve the long-term sustainability of the sector.”

He added that the administration remained committed to maintaining “a stable, transparent, and forward-looking policy environment that keeps Nigeria’s telecommunications industry on a strong and sustainable path, in alignment with our broader vision of building a robust digital economy.”

The review is expected to involve relevant regulators, including the Nigerian Communications Commission and competition authorities, as part of standard merger control processes.

If approved, the deal would mark one of the largest telecom infrastructure transactions in Africa in recent years, signalling a shift in strategy by MTN from asset-light tower outsourcing to direct infrastructure ownership


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

Nigerian, Francis Okafor, Gains Prominence in China’s Tech Ecosystem

Published

on

Kindly share this post

In Shenzhen, widely regarded as one of the world’s leading technology and manufacturing hubs, Nigerian technology expert Francis Okafor is gaining recognition for his contributions to artificial intelligence and advanced engineering within China’s innovation ecosystem.

Okafor, who hails from Anambra State, has been based in China for eight years. “I’m based in China, and I’ve been here for about eight years now,” he said. “What I do full-time is tech, real, deep tech.”

He currently serves as a Tech Lead at IDEMIA, a multinational company known for its work in identity security, biometrics, cryptography, secure financial systems, and expanding interests in quantum computing.

From China, Okafor coordinates DevOps operations, software development, artificial intelligence systems, and robotics-enabled manufacturing tools across global hubs in China, India, France, Brazil, and the United States.

Despite his leadership position, he maintains an active engineering role. “Even though I’m a tech lead, I still write the core code,” he said. “My work is about 70 per cent tech and 30 per cent managerial. I’m still a full-fledged tech guy.”

Okafor said operating in China’s advanced technology sector has exposed him to stereotypes about Africans. “In China, Africans are usually seen as being good at sports or music,” he said. “When you say you’re an engineer or working in AI, people don’t really associate that with Africans.”

He added that his experience in elite engineering and hacker communities revealed a lack of African representation. “What pained me the most was that Africa had zero representation in these serious tech spaces,” he said. “Not Nigeria, but Africa.”

Beyond his corporate responsibilities, Okafor is involved in technology advocacy and community building. He chairs the Shenzhen Afrotech Community and co-founded the Shenzhen–Hong Kong Afrotech Network. He is also active in French and German technology communities and international AI business platforms.

Through conferences, hackathons, and policy dialogues, he has advocated greater African participation in global innovation. “China is many steps ahead in manufacturing, hardware, and AI,” he said. “Africa has always been the last to receive innovation. We don’t have a say in development, and that’s the problem I wanted to address.”

Speaking on China’s industrial ecosystem, he said, “This is where Apple, IBM, everybody comes to manufacture. So I asked myself, how do I use my position here to benefit Africa?”

Okafor has also been invited by Shenzhen authorities to speak on artificial intelligence and innovation. He attended the opening ceremony of the 2025 China National Games following an official invitation. “That event is not open to the public,” he said. “Only people selected by the government attend, and the President was there.”

On China’s technology model, Okafor said deliberate localisation and strong government commitment have been key. “The Chinese don’t just adopt technology,” he said. “They take the idea, block it, improve it, and build their own.”

Comparing this with Nigeria, he added: “In Nigeria, we accept and consume. Instead of copying and localising, we remain users.”

Addressing concerns about artificial intelligence and job displacement, Okafor said similar fears accompanied the emergence of the internet. “When the internet came, people were scared,” he said. “But new jobs emerged: web designers, content creators, digital assistants.”

He acknowledged that AI could displace some roles but said it would also create new opportunities. “If you don’t upskill, then yes, AI will replace you,” he said. “But if you use AI as an assistant, it will empower you.”

He urged Nigerians to take personal responsibility for adapting to technological change. “Don’t wait for the government,” he advised. “Every Nigerian has a responsibility to understand AI and apply it in their own field.”

Highlighting the broader scope of artificial intelligence, he said, “AI is beyond ChatGPT. It’s computer vision, prediction, automation, and it can work even without the internet.”

Okafor said he is exploring ways to formally connect Nigerian and China-based technology ecosystems.

“She told me it wasn’t good that I was contributing so much in China and nothing back home,” he said of a conversation with Ambassador Nini Okey-Uche, a minister at the Nigerian Embassy in Beijing. “That conversation changed my thinking.”

He added: “I’m on ground here. I see new technologies every day, and Africa needs access to that knowledge.”

Expressing his broader vision, Okafor said, “I want to change the narrative. Africans are not just entertainers. We are very good engineers too.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

First Trustees Advocates Stronger Frameworks in Advancing Structured Islamic Inheritance Practices

Published

on

L-r: Managing Director/CEO, One17 Financial Services, Ismail Rufai; Professor of Islamic Banking and Finance, Yobe State University, Prof. Adam Abubakar, Esq.; Managing Partner, The Metropolitan Law Firm, Ummahani Amin, Partner, The Metropolitan Law Firm, Barr. Mohammed Yunusa; and Head, Private Trust, First Trustees Limited, Rotimi Obende at the Islamic Estate Planning Clinic recently held in Abuja.
Kindly share this post

First Trustees Limited, a subsidiary of First HoldCo Plc., and a leading provider of trust solutions to individuals, corporates, and government institutions, partners with The Metropolitan Law Firm and Al-Ameen Trustees to host the 8th Annual Islamic Estate Planning Clinic in Abuja, bringing together leading Islamic legal, financial, and policy experts.

With the theme “From Informality to Legacy: Structuring Islamic Wealth Transfer,” the highly anticipated forum underscored the urgent need for Nigerian families to transition from informal inheritance practices to professionally structured, Sharia-compliant estate planning frameworks as a tool to seamlessly transfer and protect wealth, prevent family conflicts, and ensure legacies endure for future generations

Speakers emphasized the need to adopt a structured Islamic estate planning framework to ensure wealth preservation, reduces legal disputes, and ensures compliance with both Shari’ah principles and the Nigerian statutory law.

Stating that the transition from informal arrangements to a structured legacy is not merely a financial decision; it is a profound act of stewardship. By documenting and formalising intentions today, we replace potential family discord with clarity and peace of mind.

Rotimi Obende, representing the Managing Director of First Trustees Limited, highlighted estate planning as a sacred duty. “Estate planning is more than documentation—it is stewardship. Informal arrangements expose families to avoidable risks. Structured, Sharia-compliant plans provide clarity, transparency, and true generational protection,” he said.

He noted that regulated trustees play a crucial role in ensuring proper execution of wills and trusts, reinforcing public trust and accountability.

Delivering the keynote address, Professor Isa Ali Pantami, former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, cautioned against relying on verbal inheritance promises, which frequently lead to conflict and asset loss.

He also urged the integration of modern technology, including blockchain, to securely store and have seamless access to wills and estate documents and also bridging traditional Islamic principles with cutting-edge innovation.

Ummahani Amin, Managing Partner at The Metropolitan Law Firm, added that Islamic inheritance law offers both structure and flexibility.

“Individuals can allocate up to one-third of their estate through properly documented wills and trusts. Too many families suffer because intentions were never formally recorded,” she explained.

As discussions progressed, a consistent message resonated clearly: with today’s increasingly complex and diverse assets, from digital holdings, cross-border investments and complex business interest, informal inheritance practices are no longer sufficient.

Participants agreed that structured Islamic estate planning delivers clear advantages, including legal certainty, tax efficiency, family unity, and long-term wealth preservation.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending