Connect with us

General News

#NECLIve9: Growth of Nigerian Music, Movie, Fashion Should Benefit Local Economy – Ayeni Adekunle

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Ayeni Adekunle, the Convener of the Nigerian Entertainment Conference (NECLive), West Africa’s biggest and longest-running gathering of entertainment and creative industry professionals, has said the current growth of Nigeria’s entertainment industry must reflect on the local economy.

Speaking at the ninth edition of the conference, NECLive9, at Landmark Event Centre in Lagos, on Friday, April 29, 2022, Ayeni said he feels a sense of fulfillment with the growth recorded so far by Nigerian creatives and entertainers.

“What we saw at Maddison Square where Burna Boy performed is what NECLive is all about. We are getting nominated for Grammys, we have musicians and actors that are now big deals not just in Nigeria but across the globe,” he said. “The essence of NECLive is to share ideas and collaborate as we build the industry of our dream.”

The NECLive convener said that a decade ago, this development would only have been best imagined but now, it has become more than a reality.

He said: “A decade or two ago, our artistes would not be seen headlining a show abroad or being the main face of Billboard magazine.

“The dream when we started NECLive in 2013 is being lived now. What we are witnessing today in fashion, music, art, movie industry is still in its early days.

“Some of those that will make it happen are here today. The growth of our music and movie and fashion must benefit the local economy.”

NECLive which started in 2013, convenes entertainment and creative industry professionals from across Africa.

Speakers at the ninth edition included award-winning singers Tuface Idibia (2Baba) and Darey Art-Alade; media executives, Ayo Animashaun and Sam Onyemelukwe, ace producer Tee-Y Mix, Media personalities Jacob Akinyemi Johnson, Mr. Macaroni, Mozez Praiz, Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi, and Osi Suave.

Other prominent speakers at the conference were Dr. Busola Tejumola, Executive Head of Content and West Africa Channels at MultiChoice Nigeria, Akin Oyebode, Ekiti state commissioner of finance, , Anyikp Owoko, Chess-in-slums founder, Tunde Onakoya, Aline Gahongayire, The Real Housewives of Lagos stars Iyabo Ojo, Mariam Timmer, and Toyin Lawani; Oluwatobi Adeola, Sylvester Chauke, Tolulope Adeleru-Balogun, Lynda Alphaeus, Leo Da-Silva and Ifeanyi Okonkwo among others.


Kindly share this post

Ugo Onwuaso is an ICT enthusiast. He believes technology should be used for general good. He holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from the Lagos state University. Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

General News

Xenophobic Attacks: Anonymous Nigeria Threatens to Leak South African Stolen Data

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Anonymous Nigeria, hacktivism, known for launching coordinated cyberattacks and protests in support of socio-political movements, has threatened to leak stolen South African government data unless its demands were met.

Xenophobic Attacks: Anonymous Nigeria Threatens to Leak South African Stolen Data

The group, called for the department to stop xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa, or it will expose the data.

“They call themselves correctional services, but they can’t correct the citizens. What a shame,” the group said in its Telegram channel, MyBroadband reported.

“They killed a lot of Nigerians while the so-called correctional services watched and the ministry of justice.”

It is immediately know if Anonymous Nigeria is affiliated to Nullsec Nigeria.

But in a post on a hacker forum, Nullsec Nigeria included a link showcasing an example of data stolen from the department.

It included two bid invitation notices, bid results, a copy of the bids received, and a notice of a bid awarded in various formats.

“We’ll expose all your evil deeds for the world to see, unless this attack stops. But if not, we’ll leak everything they got,” Nullsec Nigeria said.

“Unless the government of South Africa ends these xenophobic attacks on Nigeria, we’ll expose everything about you, your evil deeds will be exposed, and the world shall know.”

MyBroadband asked the Department of Correctional Services about the claimed breach and Nullsec Nigeria’s demands, but it did not immediately respond to our questions.

Nullsec Nigeria also claimed responsibility for breaching several other entities in South Africa, while responding to an X post about its OpSouthAfrica campaign in its Telegram channel.

“I wanna express something here. I saw a report on the #OpSouthAfrica hack by Nullsec Nigeria, but it was stolen by another person,” it said. “Tag the real breachers next time.”

In a separate thread on the hacker forum, Nullsec Nigeria also claimed responsibility for breaching the Ephraim Mogale Local Municipality’s systems.

It claimed to have hacked the local government’s website and threatened to expose “everything you got for others to see how heartless you are. You killed mothers, brothers, students.”

Nullsec Nigeria said the breach and the threats were in response to the xenophobic attacks on and killing of Nigerians and the South African government’s supposed silence on the issue.

“These attacks are still going on in the dark, and we’ll expose them all. If the South African government doesn’t act first, the whole of South Africa will suffer,” it said.

“This is just a wave. These documents are about 11GB, but we decided to pull just this one.”

Its post included two images: one for a public hearing and another, a handwritten tender document for the appointment of an insurance service provider.

It also included a link to several other documents, including an old annual report, council resolutions, financial statements, and various other notices.

The Nigerian Government recently announced plans to bring citizens back to the country from South Africa after violent protests over foreign nationals in the country erupted earlier in May.

President Cyril Ramaphosa condemned the protests and criminal acts directed at foreign nationals in his From the Desk of The President weekly newsletter on 11 May 2026.

He emphasised the recent demonstrations and attacks did not represent the views of the South African people, nor the government’s policy.

“These are the acts of opportunists who are exploiting the legitimate grievances, particularly those of the poor, under the false guise of ‘community activism’,” The President said.

“Some of these people are assuming functions that only state officials are permitted to perform, including stopping people to check identification and conducting searches of private property.”

He added that such lawlessness would not be tolerated, regardless of who the perpetrators or victims were.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

World Bank Blocks Social Media Comments from Nigerians over Loan Backlash

Published

on

Kindly share this post

World Bank has restricted comments on its Instagram page after thousands of Nigerians flooded the platform begging them to stop lending money to Nigeria.

World Bank Blocks Social Media Comments from Nigerians over Loan Backlash

The protest erupted after reports that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is seeking a fresh $1.25 billion dollar loan for approval on June 26.

Some Nigerians asked the World Bank to provide more details about the purpose of the loan and how the funds would be managed.

Others said the country should reduce dependence on foreign loans and focus on improving local revenue.

The federal government has continued to defend its borrowing plans.

Officials say the funds will support economic reforms, development projects and efforts to strengthen the economy.

Nigeria remains one of the major borrowers from the World Bank in Africa, with different administrations securing loans over the years for infrastructure, social programmes and economic support.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

Lagos Plans New Cybersecurity Centre

Published

on

Kindly share this post

The Lagos State Government plans to establish a Cybersecurity Operations Centre to strengthen protection of government systems, digital services and citizen data amid rising cyber threats linked to the city’s expanding digital economy.

Tunbosun Alake, Lagos commissioner for innovation, science and technology, said the centre would help secure the infrastructure supporting online payments, e-government services, cloud platforms and technology-driven business operations across the state.

According to Alake, the facility will monitor, detect and respond to cyber threats targeting government networks, digital transactions and sensitive public data.

The move comes as Lagos accelerates its smart city agenda through investments in broadband infrastructure, digital identity systems and automated public services.

Alake said Lagos had already deployed 109 Data Protection Officers across Ministries, Departments and Agencies, which he described as the highest number among Nigerian states, to strengthen compliance with data protection regulations.

Alongside the proposed cybersecurity centre, the state also launched the Lagos Campus Network Upgrade project aimed at improving digital infrastructure within the public sector.

The upgrade is expected to improve network performance, automate internal government processes and enhance digital engagement with residents. The cybersecurity initiative follows the release of Lagos State’s cybersecurity guidelines in April.

The framework recommends measures including multi-factor authentication, vulnerability testing, encrypted backups and tighter endpoint security controls.

The guidelines align with Nigeria’s Cybercrime Act 2024, the Nigeria Data Protection Act 2023 and the National Cybersecurity Policy and Strategy 2021.

 


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending